Equipping an effective Undivided Daemon prince for combat - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Equipping an effective Undivided Daemon prince for combat

I did some searching on the forum and couldn't come across a post of this nature which shocked me. I've been playing Chaos for years now, but have never used a daemon prince and wanted to seek some advice on equipping him effectively, but maintaining cost effectiveness in a 2K list. Here's my thoughts on it, I don't have my codex right in front of me, but here's my initial thoughts. I feel my army needs a nice close combat threat and my iron warriors are counter assault and he could really lend a hand when needed. I use all shorts of lists but maintain balance most of the time

Chaos Lord-makes him WS 6/S 6 which is good
    +stature
    +strength
    +aura

Here's the debates
    Weapons:
    Great weapon- takes up a 2 hand weapon but makes him Str 7
    Lightning claws-hitting on 3's and re-rolling all wounds, pricey, but if i add spikey bits and master craft the lightning claws he gets 2 re-rolls and re-rolls all wounds.
    Extra cc Weapon-at Str 6 he's pretty solid ignoring armor saves, 2 cc weapons gives him 4 base attacks
    dread axe -ignore invuls, no saves!

Sorceror:
    If i make him a sorceror it starts getting pricey.
    Gift of chaos -However, it can always be a good think to try and use Gift of chaos and change a marine with a power fist into a spawn. Or if I roll a 6 magically turn a carnifex/tyrant/anything i want into a spawn as it always works. This could keep him alive longer, and is a good ability as it goes off in the shooting phase even if your in combat.

40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

For myself, I always use a dreadAxe, Extra CCW and Daemonic Mutation. This is, i believe, the best way to take advantage of the minght of an undivided daemon prince. No Save At All !
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

Just one note on gifts before I give my thoughts on weapons. I would also give him D. resilience and visage. The extra T will help him weather the perils of the 40k universe a little bit better while visage provides extra help in breaking squads in CC. I think this would be good as since you are IW the last thing you want is drawn out HtH battles.

Anyways for weapons on a DP I like the Darkblade ( though you didn't list it ) which can help you pop tanks and MCs or barring that to keep him cheap just go with the extra CC weapon. This should suit your purposes for a Counter charge DP. For my money the great weapon is not worth it at -1A (due to not having two weapons) and +1str. The Dread axe is also too situational. There are likely to be alot of games where you will never even use the effect and then it is just wasted points.
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, the main problem with a DP is that he is easy to kill and target

currently you are T5 and 3+ save

a heavy bolter squad will tear you apart

so resilience really is necessary for the prince, as currently rapid firing bolters will make cheddar of you and even a lowly lasgun guard squad could take him

you also need to work out how you are getting him into combat, speed is probably the best bet, have him move through cover and use his monstrousness

are you really going to be facing T10 so often? Is aura really worth it? For a prince i think resillience is far better than aura unless you are going to be facing tau every time.

i use the following setup as a cheap lord, he's scary and can do damage but the points don't kill me if he gets popped
    lord
    + stature + 2 CCW + resilience + frags + speed + mutation + spiky bits + FC

he's S 6 I 6 on the charge, can charge 18 +d6 and has 6 attacks on the charge

he doesn't break the bank on points but scares the beejezus out of opponents, can only be instakilled by S10 and doesn't easily wound to weak troops.

and if i can find some scenery to start him out running up behind then he can even make it to the enemy lines : )

ps if you disagree with above i'm open to counter arguments about lack of effectiveness of my prince : )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

I have to disagree with the effectiveness of your prince only because Power fists make him go 'splat'. I would take Aura.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironangel256 View Post
    Anyways for weapons on a DP I like the Darkblade ( though you didn't list it ) which can help .
    i really don't like the darkblade on a DP, you are paying for a powerweapon you dont use
    personally i think Str and FC is a better combination as you are S7 on the charge and able to take on anything and it helps you greatly against command squad class units as the I6 is making you strike first. Of course if your opponent oftens has T4 ICS to take out then S 8 is important, i just don't seem to run up against them too often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to disagree with the effectiveness of your prince only because Power fists make him go 'splat'. I would take Aura.
    they don't though as they are not STR 10, they can cause 3 wounds yes

but aura only gives a 5+ save, i don't think it's worth the points on a base 5T model if we are keeping it cheap and effective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

OK let me give you my opinion on this. First there are 2 ways to make a Daemon prince, give him stature or point him up to the point he is considered one.

Statured Daemon Prince
    Once you take stature, you are severely limited in your weapons options. I wouldn't bother with a ranged weapon, but maybe a psychic power, allowing you to keep both hands free to take weapons for combat. I generally take Dstrength and depending on the model I use, I use Dmutation for that extra attack (mine has a wicked tail swipe)

Darmor and Daura are a must for me in this case.

Dflight and Dspeed can help you get into combat with him quickly, which is generally what he is there for.

Unstatured Daemon Prince
    This is where you build him up with enough Dgifts that he is considered a prince but doesn't have to look the part. Here you have weapons options plenty, especially if you take Termie armor, I recommend doing this if you can. So you decide your weapons based on any other Lord, and of course whether you have Termie armor or not.

Darmor and Daura are point hogs here, they cost more than termie armor and are just as good.

Dflight and Dspeed are still your choice, but decide them based off your weapons choices, no use in wasting points on equipment you will never use.

My personal Favorite
    My Grand Lord Raphael, of Avengers of Scarolis, is a statured Daemon Prince. He heads into combat under his Dspeed and busts through armor with his Dstrength and his extra attack from the tail. He wears Darmor and creates a Daura around himself... oh yeah... and he kicks the Emperor's tin canned soldiers all over the battlefield
    They're ladies. We can't hit ladies.

No, no. They're Daemonettes. They'll tear you limb from limb and steal your soul

But sar, thats what ladies do.

http://tsoalr.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

291 (x6)

@ garmor: I'm pretty sure that a Str 10 weapons splats a T5 DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ garmor: I'm pretty sure that a Str 10 weapons splats a T5 DP.
    it does, but a power fist doubles the STR of the user which is S4
    so a powerfist is almost always STR8. If you have some strength enhancement that happens after the doubling so it's STR9, still doesn't pop the prince

It would need to be something like a wraithlord or a dreadnaught CC weapon to pop him in CC

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast