Roles for Chosen in Khorne/Black Legion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roles for Chosen in Khorne/Black Legion

What role do your chosen usually fill in khorne heavy black legion? Do you mark them or not?

Im trying to figure out how to make them effective, or if i should even use them. Guns are too expensive to make them a huge havoc squad, theyre 3 points more expensive to start with, and only have a leadership buff which doesnt matter because pretty much every squad has an AC in it.

Close combat? Shooty? Make them all champions with bikes or speed and infiltrate? Drop infiltrate and mark them? make them terminator champions? insanely expensive though...

I really have no idea here...

How many guardsmen does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
    None, their lasguns work fine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

The only method I've found tried and true is 6 terminators with 2 Reaper Autos and, if you want, 2 of your choice of Fist. I usually give them Tank Hunters and occasionally deep strike them depending on the rest of my army, and just use them as mobile Havocs that can also smack heavily armored infantry. This is only in armies where I have small amounts of tank support otherwise, and only in large points limits (usually 1850+ but occasionally 1500 if I feel like it, that's just friendly play though not competitive)

If you find Mr. TwoHats he likes to take enormous squads of combat Chosen (no terminator armor) with two ACs, a sorcerer with Mass Mutation, and a bunch of Meltaguns. I stole his loadout for a game or two and they worked well, but the question is whether you think you can fit them well into your army. And, of course, whether you're okay with taking enormous squads. Talk to him if you can find him

Hold that helps cheers
    Back from the dead to haunt new houses.
    Send me a hello if you remember me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One method I've tried has worked very well for me but I have only used it against one army unfortunately. It was against a standard all tau army. I used khorne chosen AC's and put them all on bikes, I gave them all daemonic armor and power weapons/ axes of khorne if its in your budget. It is totally within their points limit because they get the lower point cost of everything. You may also decide to give them furious charge or daemonic strength at your desire. Maybe even essence, or mutation. Any upgrades will do really as long as they have the D armor, bikes, MoK, and some kind of power weapon. As far as tactics go you will never be able to get a first turn charge so what I do is always turbo boost them first turn so with the daemonic armor they have a 2+ invuln save, works like a charm. They can get a bit hefty in price but they almost always make their points back for me.
    40,000- 7,000 Points Chaos Space Marines=18 and 17
    40,000- 2,500 Points Tau Empire=1 and 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by honorableSimon View Post
    If you find Mr. TwoHats he likes to take enormous squads of combat Chosen (no terminator armor) with two ACs, a sorcerer with Mass Mutation, and a bunch of Meltaguns.
    I am so going to make that squad for fun!:yes: :shifty:
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Chain Templar View Post
    What role do your chosen usually fill in khorne heavy black legion? Do you mark them or not?

Im trying to figure out how to make them effective, or if i should even use them. Guns are too expensive to make them a huge havoc squad, theyre 3 points more expensive to start with, and only have a leadership buff which doesnt matter because pretty much every squad has an AC in it.

Close combat? Shooty? Make them all champions with bikes or speed and infiltrate? Drop infiltrate and mark them? make them terminator champions? insanely expensive though...

I really have no idea here...
    This can only be answered by asking yourself what it is you want your list to do.

What does your list already consist of. Khorne heavy usually means 2 or 3(4 maybe) squads of 'zerkers and a khornate HQ.

Are you wanting to balance it out with dakka, infiltrate, shooting, anti tank? Are you even looking for a balanced list?

I would use my elite slots for the following: Obliterators(really helps balance out the shooting aspect). I steer clear of chosen myself, but you are asking what I would do if I were to take chosen, so I would make them terminators 1 AC with 4or 5 of his closest buddies, deep striking in. Mark of Nurgle to give you some real nasty STAY PUT with nurgle's rot on them for horde protection. A plague sword(or powerfist) A pair of autocannons if you have the points for something to do on the first turn coming in.
    I would use those because I'm partial to khurgle lists myself in black legion.

I suggest you post your list as it is in the army list section and leave points open where you don't know how to spend them and ask for suggestions(if you haven't already done this)

Hope this helps.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Against Tau, how did your bikers fare? Even with 2+ invulnerables, when theres massed pulse rifles comnig at you, you're bound to fail a few.

My rough draft for khornate champion bikers is this:

90 points each, 450 points total

3 ACs with Bike, Armor, MoK, Axe of Khonre, furious charge, strength, feel no pain.
    2 ACs with Bike, Armor, MoK, Powerfist, furious charge, strength, feel no pain.

I dropped mutation in favor of Feel no pain. I was even thinking aobut putting my lord on a bike instead of staturing him, although I cant find anythign immediately in the chaos codex as to why you cant give a statured model a bike. I think that because hes a monstrous creature you cant. Also, if it counts as a steed, then he certainly cant. Now, if they made bikes like roller-skates ... Only thing is with the higher cost of everything, the bike, armor, and a power weapon already make him 120 points.

For DS-ing termies, wouldnt the MoT give them better staying power? that in itself would be a good thread/poll...MoT vs MoN for staying power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bikers slaughtered him. He played a mech list and I zapped past his fire warriors through cover and made it to and slaughtered his stealth team, crisis suits, broadsides, and commander. I even popped a tank from the back with my lords darkblade. I didnt lose a single one. Plus if you give them essence even if you single save, you have the FnP and then your extra wound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exvcept you cant give them essence. Only way to do that is to give them a Juggernaught of Khorne, which means theyd be slow and not turbo or anything.

Also, how small of games would you field htis beastly almost 500 points unit (plus the lord) in? I was thinking 2000 minimum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohh good catch my bad. Good thing I never actually gave them essence then. I fielded them in an 1850 game and a 1500 game. I still crushed the opposition in both. My bikers got all the elite and HQ units quickly and my oblit deepstruck and nailed his only hammerhead so then I just swarmed his troops with everything I had left. Brutal victory. So many smashed in blue faces.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Okay, I'm just going to put my questions of the efficiency of squads like this aside. You seem to think it's a good idea, and if it's not hopefully you'll find that out in playtesting.

However, I think Chain Templar's question of whether even with 2+ invulnerables these units are survivable enough is spot on. Think about terminators. Sure, you can use Plasma fire and other specialized weaponry to take them down, but even the ablative bolters in those squads take down a few guys, and at 90 points a model it's not like you have any platform to grab onto as your feet are literally shot out from under you.

I have some other rather fundamental questions for this strategy, but they all seem to draw on your example of the time you used bikes. I think you definitely need to playtest it, because it's far too offensive a strategy for WE for you to just go with it. But really, how many points were you palying to be able to afford a squad like that? 600 points for the bikers + HQ (and that's using Templar's points estimates), and then you probably need at least 300 points for Heavy Support Anti-Tank options, which leaves you with exactly 2 squads of berzerkers at 1500 points? I don't know, maybe I'll try it out for myself. I just find it intriguing that somethign as seemingly point inefficient as this would work. I don't know, maybe I'll try it out for myself and post my results. Until then, cheers
    Back from the dead to haunt new houses.
    Send me a hello if you remember me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast