doom siren effectiveness - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

doom siren effectiveness

well i didn't want to clutter up an army list with a discussion on this lovely weapon so i brought it here

firstly in relation to a lord or lt
    personally even without the strikes first capability i think these are crucial weapons for slaaneshi champions and really awesome for lords and lieutenants.
    The main reason you can always assault cover at effective initiative 6. If you use bikes and furious charge you can do so at effective 7. This means you can clear otherwise dangerous units from cover with relative ease, wiping many out before they get to act.

Also for champions within a unit i think they are a great weapon. Against many opponents the only person who is likely to do any serious damage is the AC. so CC marines you often give frags?but you only really want to get that champion going at the same time as the opposition.
    so is it better to give the champion a DS than a seven man squad frags?
    it costs 3 points more but it gives you an assault weapon and most importantly the ability for your champion to dispatch a few opponents before they get to fight back, which can be quite priceless. Against a lot of opponents i would rather my champion go first before the enemy than my squad go at the same time as the enemy. He can deal death far more effectively than anyone else. My standard setup does get expensive though with
    AC + MOS + PW + MUT + STR + DS but as we play with good amounts of scenery on our gaming boards i very rarely am not glad i've got that setup on the champions. When they get in to the business end it's certainly a big bonus.

so, i've said why i like doom sirens on my champions in slaaneshi units (i play slaanesh / nurgle black legion). Feel free to comment on why you don't or what doesn't hold true from what i've said.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

Well, I can pretty much agree on all. I don't play EC myself, but I'm looking into starting an EC force (have a Black legion w/ Khorne force now). So I pretty much looked into the rules beforehand when I came to decision to eventually start up an Slaanesh army.

Practically I don't think 54 points (if the champ is free) or 67 if he's not is that much of a deal. I think he gets the job done in a decent way and makes back his points pretty fast (if he can get close enough that is)

In regard to what the frag grenades of siren; I'd like to point out that not only does your champ with fancy stuff strike first, but also has an assault weapon while he's added. I can just imagine what mess that'll leave when charging IG in cover :yes: However, why not pick both. Units in cover means AC fires into cover the charges, strikes first, and all other models strike at the same time.

But there should be a negative to it; probably most people would say, it's expensive... probably, but like I said, my guess is that most of the time he will get his points back.

I think the AC like you kitted it out pretty much would be a nice add-on whenever I start with my EC army. Though, I'm a bit hesitant... new codex and stuff :cry:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

I love Doom Sirens; the one that comes with the Noise Marine Aspiring Champ looks nice (in my opinion) and for the effects that it has, it's not a bad piece of wargear for the points. I would keep it strictly limited to Aspiring Champions and Independent Characters, though, because in many cases a Meltagun will serve you better than a Doom Siren. On the other hand, it really depends on your ability to take down squads of power-armoured Space Marines without the Meltagun, as if you equip a unit of Noise Marines riding in a Rhino with Doom Sirens, they can drive right up to a squad and then open fire with Bolters and Template weapons that cut out at least one roll you have to make. It's guaranteed to cause a lot more hits than the regular Bolter and greatly enhances the firepower of any Noise Marine squad, so it depends on what other equipment you're giving them, really. The same principle governs the Doom Siren as the Flamer - they're best used on something that can move fast. Very fast.

EDIT: Of course, you still keep your standard weapon loadout so you lose nothing by having the Doom Siren. It's just a question of whether or not you want the Meltagun. Personal preference, really.

+ Reply to Thread