which greater demon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which greater demon

Hey guys, I've just gotten done playing my LatD army and I have been finding just a general lack of heavy hitters. I have 6 terminators in there already, but I was wanting to throw in a greater demon for a little bit more hitting power since there are(as always) a fair number of space marines. Any advice would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Well,

with the current Greater Daemons, obviously the Blood Thirster and Keeper of Secrets stand out as being the most heavy in CC.

However, as LaTD, you should have other means at your disposal... may I ask how you're taking your mutant squads? Because a giant pack of mutants with a power fist boss and attached powerfist champion is often regarded as one of the nastiest units ever to meet in CC - especially for marines.

You should definitely do a mutant boss as Hagar. That way you can pile drive those evil defenders of humanity in the name of the mayor of justice!

++ With the new codex ++

I'm not sure where LaTD will stand.. but the new greater daemons are really really damn good. Sure, the 'thirster and magical space chicken can't fly, and the Great Unclean one doesn't have loads of wounds, BUT, when they have a great stat line and clock in for less points than an elites choice carnifex you can't go wrong. Oh no.
    Last edited by Karmoon; July 3rd, 2007 at 11:41.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Well,

with the current Greater Daemons, obviously the Blood Thirster and Keeper of Secrets stand out as being the most heavy in CC.

I'm not sure where LaTD will stand.. but the new greater daemons are really really damn good. Sure, the 'thirster and magical space chicken can't fly, and the Great Unclean one doesn't have loads of wounds, BUT, when they have a great stat line and clock in for less points than an elites choice carnifex you can't go wrong.
    Just to re-interate- the Bloodthirster really shines against lower weapon skill people, as they generally have lower Strength and Hurty Upgrades too- where as Marines have Powerfists. But his uber-WS is just awesome. Still, wings means you can pick your target more easily. I recommend you lash out for him (he also looks the best I reckon)

Keeper of Secrets really shines against Eldar/Marines as Warp Scream can either shift Inititive/attacking order, and his high T is great for the Weak Eldar *snicker* The Psychic power 'Gift' is really potent on him too, especially against Eldar, Orks or other Marines/Chaos that rely on the Unit Champion upgrade to make them more Hurty. Problem is getting him there is one piece because he walks.

As Karmoon so adequately put it- they are the two biggest hitters.

As Karmoon also so adequately put it- with the new Chaos Codex rumours- the cheap and nasty generic Greater Daemon is a bargain, so it comes down to what you think looks better, and where the army will go in the future.

/babble {goofy}
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are greater daemons even worth taking at all due to the daemonic instability 3d6 ld test? ive always assumed that taking a couple hundred points of daemon that has a pretty solid chance of insta-gibbing itself on the first turn its out there is a poor investment. perhaps my understanding of the rules is off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

I suggest you re-read the section in the dex on instability checks... it mentions no 3d6...
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the FAQ:

Question:

Greater Daemon : When do I roll for daemonic instability

Answer:
    "[...] at the end of each Chaos turn after which the greater daemon has started on the battlefield possessing a dead host [...]" (Ref: Greater daemon and possession entry, p.12, Chaos Codex). This mean that, if your greater daemon has possessed a dead host and only in this case, you have to roll 3D6 for instability each turn after the possession. Otherwise, you never need to roll for instability as Greater daemons are fearless.

3d6 ld test, but i guess i misunderstood the rule when i read it in the codex, you only have to take the stability tests if your daemonhost is killed (by the enemy) before you summon the greater daemon? so if he is possessed by the daemon and the daemon appears, no stability tests?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Alkuan View Post

3d6 ld test, but i guess i misunderstood the rule when i read it in the codex, you only have to take the stability tests if your daemonhost is killed (by the enemy) before you summon the greater daemon? so if he is possessed by the daemon and the daemon appears, no stability tests?
    That's correct. The instability is only when the host is killed prior to the greater daemon being summoned.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GREAT UNCLEAN ONE!

nurgle's rot rules

+ Reply to Thread