Daemon Prince Base Size - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Daemon Prince Base Size

I am modelling some Daemon princes for a friend of mine and was wonding what size bases people tend to use. I know you have the option to take the medium base or the monsterous creature base. I am just wondering which one is better. As a tyranid player I use monsterous creatures frequently and know that having their large base often makes it difficult to get them into hand to hand with a unit that has arleady been assaulted. Is there any advantage of using a larger base? Other than it makes the physical act of positioning the models in the assault easier. thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Typically, players use a 40mm base for statured princes. Larger bases have advantages and disadvantages (as you likely know). In fact, the pros and cons stem from the same basic idea, namely, that larger bases enable more enemy models to surround your statured prince. This can be a good thing, if your prince is likely to win combat, as it allows his inflicted wounds to be taken on more enemy models, and thus, you aren't left with surplus wounds with no enemy models in range of taking them. However, if your prince is engaging, let's say, a unit of genestealers, then it's better to have your prince on a smaller base, as the stealers will undoubtedly have the upper hand in c.c.. Thus, you want to minimize the potential wounds brought on by the genestealers.

Hope this helps.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Also keep in mind that a statured prince is required to use the larger base,the kind that comes with termies, statured prince model, etc. no smaller. BUT you can put him on a bigger base(like the dreadnaught base) if you like. You can always go larger, but never smaller for base size.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Typically, players use a 40mm base for statured princes. Larger bases have advantages and disadvantages (as you likely know). In fact, the pros and cons stem from the same basic idea, namely, that larger bases enable more enemy models to surround your statured prince. This can be a good thing, if your prince is likely to win combat, as it allows his inflicted wounds to be taken on more enemy models, and thus, you aren't left with surplus wounds with no enemy models in range of taking them. However, if your prince is engaging, let's say, a unit of genestealers, then it's better to have your prince on a smaller base, as the stealers will undoubtedly have the upper hand in c.c.. Thus, you want to minimize the potential wounds brought on by the genestealers.

Hope this helps.
    and remember that this is only after the first round of combat or if the prince is charged. either way by that time you generally don't want the enemy to be able to mob up on you like that.

one other good thing about larger bases though is that it is more difficult to fully cover tha bases with a blast template making able to avoid more incomming fire because half the time he may be a partial! it's a good way to keep your troops from being to packed in.
    When life gives you lemons, beat it over the head and take its wallet.

Army W/L/D
    Emperors Children: 66/27/19
    Imperial Guard: 71/27/10
    Space Marines: 9/17/2
    Eldar: 41/34/25
    WFB
    Skaven: 79/36/35
    Chaos: 23/20/46
    High Elves: 35/27/6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Just chucking some numbers in:

The big base (terminators, Tyranid Warriors, NEcron wraiths) = 40mm bases.

Monster bases (Carnifexes, Greater Daemons, Dreadnought) = 60mm bases.

Your daemon prince at LEAST has to be 40mm.

.. i guess this is subject to change in the new codex though...
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

So my question is still what do you do, and why? I would just like to get some opinions. thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x1)

Hey,

Quote Originally Posted by nichodemus10 View Post
    So my question is still what do you do, and why?
    And, everyone's answer is, "Don't use a base that's too small because it's cheating."

So, that just leaves 'bigger' bases and 'just right' bases.

Just Right, by GW standards, means:

GW Online : Warhammer : Base Size And Unit Strength

I would just like to get some opinions
    Loafus already gave a good reason to consider a larger base.

AFAIK, it's the *only* good reason to do so.

Virtually everyone else is content to simply base their DP on a DP base.

HTH

Playa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... a 150mm base so that you can only ever be "partially covered" by blast templetes?

(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Jeepers,,..

just put the model on a base which suits it the best. You don't want a huge model on a tiny base or a tiny model on a huge base.

To be honest, anyone who actively uses base size as tactics and as a method of winning really shouldn't be taken seriously.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Jeepers,,..

just put the model on a base which suits it the best. You don't want a huge model on a tiny base or a tiny model on a huge base.

To be honest, anyone who actively uses base size as tactics and as a method of winning really shouldn't be taken seriously.
    Hahaha! Too true.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

+ Reply to Thread