Starting my Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting my Army

This weekend I am going to GamesDay chicago, and with a recent handful of money obtained I seek to finally start a new army and I have chosen witch hunters because of their Unique, versitile formation and they're rare-ness around my club.

These are the things I have so far from random collecting that may possibly be useful in building this army:
    -A priest
    -various henchmen models
    -7 usable storm troopers
    -5 space marine scouts
    -a squad of usable space marines

NOW! I have an aproximate Total of $190-$230 american Dollars to spend, depending on if I have to pay for myself for gamesday.
    WHAT SHOULD I BUY
    of course I will want at least 1 box of Battle Sisters so that's 40 right there. Please try to take into account tax (if it is applied at games day I assume so) and if so I will not be able to spend a full 230 dollars on pure price.
    I AM ESSENTIALLY LEAVING UP TO YOU GUYS WHAT IS THE BEST SET UP TO GET.

For the Greater Good

"Dakka Dakka Motha @#$%-a"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

A good start would be:
    1 x Cannoness - $12
    2 x Battle Sisters box - $80
    2 x Seraphim squad box - $80
    plus tax, it's ~$185. From there you could toss on a Rhino, an Exorcist, or some special weapons blisters to round it out to your dollar level.

Good luck & welcome to the hunt!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh, I dont like the Seraphim, the hit and run is good and all, but I'm infamous for my horrible rolling and the close combat focus troops with only strenght 3 just doesnt sit well with me.
    I might agree with the 2 boxes of sisters, but with the seraphim excluded I was thinking about Flagells? they appear amazing to me but I havent played em. How to they sit well with?

The pen engine is one of my fav concepts so far considering I have yet to play an army with a walker. And the Repentias seem nice except for their lack of a decent save or Invulnerable save. 4+ is good but i've played fire warriors and I know how it turns out half the time.
    Last edited by greatergood929; July 23rd, 2007 at 23:44.
    For the Greater Good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by greatergood929 View Post
    Eh, I dont like the Seraphim, the hit and run is good and all, but I'm infamous for my horrible rolling and the close combat focus troops with only strenght 3 just doesnt sit well with me.
    Seraphim are the single strongest unit that the WH codex has. Yes, Str 3 doesn't do a whole heck of a lot of damage - but there's just about nothing that this unit can't take on when using Faith.
    If you choose to go Mechanized, then I strongly recommend reading my tactica (linked at top of forum). The unit choice part is always to an individual's flavor, but the rest is very important.

I might agree with the 2 boxes of sisters, but with the seraphim excluded I was thinking about Flagells? they appear amazing to me but I havent played em. How to they sit well with?
    Arco-flagellants are a great counter-charge unit. The problem? You can't force opponents to come to you, instead you have to go to them (short-ranged shooting and all). So the arcos can't hide. When crossing the table they are very slow unless you activate their drugs - at which point they start killing themselves. And they're very expensive. For fewer points, you can get Death Cult Assassins - more fragile, but easier to get to the opponent and does a heck of lot of damage.

The pen engine is one of my fav concepts so far considering I have yet to play an army with a walker. And the Repentias seem nice except for their lack of a decent save or Invulnerable save. 4+ is good but i've played fire warriors and I know how it turns out half the time.
    Penitent Engines and Repentia are two of the best looking models in the range.... and two of the worst sets of rules.
    With AV11 and open-topped, the Penitent Engine will never get to your opponent. Or you'll have it chasing some fast unit all over the board. They can be useful in City-Fights or where there's 60% or more cover, but that's about it.
    Sisters Repentia also have the slow problem - topped with incredible fragility and high expense... and if a couple survive to make it to assault, they'll probably die to higher initiative attacks.

If you've got a friendly group, then I suggest trying out the units in proxy mode before buying. Also, learning how and when to use Faith points is the biggest determining factor in whether or not you are going to win or lose a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if you get some kind of discount at Games day. But if you don't DO NOT EVER Pay retail for warhammer.

Go to TheWarStore.com and order 40k miniatures at 20% discount, no tax, and $4.50 flat rate for shipping anywhere in the US.

Better yet go on ebay and get used warhammer 40k stuff at 40-50% off.

I would get

1x excorist - $40.00
    2x Battle sister squads - $64.00
    1x canoness - $10
    3x Seraphim Squads -$64.00

Funny how you say you let other people choose what you buy and don't take their advice. SERAPHIM SQUADS are your bread and butter. With faith they can take on even genestealers in close combat.

Also, Excorists are your only choice for long range shooting and tank busting, and lucky for you, they are AWESOME. Do you like D6 48 inch melta shots?

So yeh that is what I would focus on getting.

Though I would actually advise you on not starting a witch hunters army, as it is an army that requires a lot of money to build correctly.
    Last edited by Supraboytt; July 24th, 2007 at 01:44.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not not taking peoples Advice, i'm just being careful about how I spend my money.

If I had the means to obtain products off the internet or by mail I would be all over that. However, I do not.
    Currently I know so far that I need to get these:

Codex-$22
    x1 Sisters- $40
    x1 Cannoness-$12

Which gets me up to about $75, maybe 80-ish with tax if not more.
    I think a good plan onto that would be....

x1 Exorcist
    x1 Seraphim squad
    and then I have a few options:
    A pen Engine
    A squad of Flagellants
    or a handful of blisters to increase my number of Sisters or Seraphim.

???? Input???
    For the Greater Good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I suppose this is my new Buy-list. Any recomendations?

Codex
    x1 Box of sisters
    x1 Box of Seraphim
    x1 Exorcist (since i found out it comes with the pieces to be an exorcist or a Immolator so i can switch out)
    x1 Seraphim SS blister (to serve as my Jetpack cannoness)

And then I have 40-50$ to spare depending on situation. I probably another box of Sisters or Seraphim but maybe a Pen Engine??? i dunno but we'll see what they have.
    For the Greater Good

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Drop the PEngines, Arcos and Repentias from your shopping list till you get bored with WH army... Another squad of Sisters is what you should get. IMHO they are the core of any WH army, and although Seraphs are good, Sisters will carry the battles for you, adn you need two squads of them for a legal army anyway...

After that I would get some Sisters with Heavy Flamers and a squad of Retributors with Heavy Bolters. So probably two HF blisters, 4 HB blisters and one box of Sisters.

Warning though - Sisters army WILL BE EXPENSIVE as mentioned above. Probably one of the most expensive 40K armies out there... I recently did a Necrons force and could not believe the difference in $$ spent to get them on the table versus my Sisters force..

+ Reply to Thread