tank names and aircraft names - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

tank names and aircraft names

I have recently read Dan Abnett's Double Eagle and want help creating a name like LeGuins The Line Of Death or Vander Marquall's Double Eagle

I have-

Tanks-

A Leman Russ with Dozer blade and hull heavy bolter

A Leman Russ Exterminator(Twin linked Autocannons and 3x heavy bolters)

A Leman Russ Executioner(Nasty Plasma tank kills terminators with 3x heavy bolters)

Fliers-

A Vulture Gunship(like a A-10 attacker if it could VTOL)

A Valkyrie Airborne Assault Carrier(like either a Blackhawk or a Huey-cool door gunners)

My army is a combination of catachan green, black, and accenting of terracotta-kinda like regiment markings(ex-terricotta on autocannon barrels, vulture flaps,etc)

any suggested names, because i a dull slogan Drop Dead on the executioner(plasma) and an opponent laughed at it(it then proceeded to kill 10 terminators and a 2 squads of tactical marines lol)

where i play i get to use forgeworld on a daily basis but most vehicles from forgeworld suck so are only used when nessicary(lots of terminators=executioner(plasma) lots of horde=Vulture 8 small blasts of doom)

i dont expect much help because i should think of this myself but i have no idea of what to name them.:cry:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

I usualy stick to standard military names, so I named my units in the following way:

Officer and retinue (Ground commander)

10 Man Hardened Vet unit (Unit Echo)
    10 Man Hardened Vet unit (Unit Omega)
    10 Man Hardened Vet unit (Unit Halo)

10 Man grenadier Vet unit in valkyrie (Unit Alpha) (Flier call sign "Firebird 1")
    10 Man grenadier Vet unit in Rhino (Unit Bravo)
    10 Man grenadier Vet unit in Rhino (Unit Charlie)
    10 Man grenadier Vet unit in Rhino (Unit Delta)

I dont use armor, my heaviest vehicle is a sentinel.

You should post a picture of the valkyrie, I realy like to see people's ideas for different color shemes for the fliers. Also, can I see how you assempled yours? I had some trouble putting the hull together as the central crack had to be filled with a ton of green stuff. Still need to paint mine. While you are at it, can u post a pic of the vulture too, I am considering getting one(or a second Valk) depending which will be better for the strategy.
    Last edited by WraithGuardian; July 26th, 2007 at 03:33.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

i am not finished with the valkyrie but my color scheme is the same as the 64th elysian not origional but i like it and had the colors, the vulture is the best horde killing vehicle better than a russ in my opinion they can have bombs-big blast and pinning and or rocket pods-heavy 2 blast and you have hardpoint 1 and 2 and a nose heavy bolter the problem is if u go with the bombs you only get 6 bombs for the whole game and scatter 2d6 pick highest, only 1 thing is they are very vulnerable vehicles but the valkyrie and vulture are the only flyers guard get(including superheavies) that have armor value 11 btw thanks for the help the firebird is a RC plane do u have 1 it is fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my tanks are
    vanquisher - Iustus
    leman - Malleus II

I think those pseudo-latin fits well into 40K world:yes:
    CIVITAS IMPERIALIS
    "Guarantee the safety and assurance of any citizen of the Imperium of Mankind,
    wherever he or she travels or sets foot within the lenght and breadth of the Imperium."

Ave Imperator Semper Fidelis!

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I usually look into other works of science fiction or fantasy when it comes to naming my models, for instance;

Urgrach, Leman Russ Demolisher, named after a friend of mine's Orc Warrior in World of Warcraft. It's an internal joke between those who know the armaments of my Demolisher and the personality of Urgrach the warrior. :>
    Gosroth, Leman Russ Battle Tank #1, named after an Abh Patrolship from a science fiction series by Hiroyuki Morioka.
    Martok, Leman Russ Battle Tank #2, named after the Klingon High Chancellor.
    Kramhaz, Leman Russ Exterminator, named after my Dwarf Runesmith in Fantasy battle. I liked the name enough to reuse it.

Firkraag, Hellhound #1, named after the red dragon in Baldur's Gate II.
    Saurfang, Hellhound #2, another dragon.

Basroil, Chimera #1, named after an Abh assaultship from a science fiction series by Hiroyuki Morioka.
    Kidroil, Chimera #2, named after a ship in the same squadron as the Basroil.
    Seigroil, Chimera #3, named after a ship in the same squadron as the Basroil.

Then I've got a dozen sentinels named after old IG board veterans and #warhammerfun irc chat regulars; Diggum's Hammer, Sokhar, Triumph of Man, Hard Aun, Arklite, Archetype, Caluin, Nagato, King Ulrik, Rork, Sareld and Bonekrusher.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

There's no hard and dried system for naming anything. Coming up with something unique and that works for you is simply key.

I, as many others, tend to use Latin-like names. Try whatever works.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I'm with ZRudi and thinks that those pseudo-latin names are the thing in general when it comes to giving names to whatever in the 40K universe.
    But I get teh feeling you are looking for more English names than anything else.
    Why not be naming your units after Horror movie characters, there are quite a few that would fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

My tanks names are:
    Leman Russ: Purgios
    Leman Russ #2: Tyr
    Basilisk: 1-800-SUPPORT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

thank you for the helpful replies and i will look into different latin names or mythilogical names(did i spell that wrong?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man everyone tries with their names. I just used my favorite bands for my armor (Megadeth, Manowar, Fear Factory etc.) and basic military terminology for squads like WraithGuardian except for officers and sergeants who I name after Marvel Comic heros (Nick Fury, Tony Stark, Deadpool).
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperialis_Dominatus View Post
    Clear rules, from GW? Never.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast