noobish IG questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

noobish IG questions

Hey i have a few questions that i cannont seem to find the answer to.
    First off what is the cheapest way to get those 4 troops for your HQ squads?
    What models should i use for hardened veterans? kaskrin or normal troops?
    What is the best way 2 protect a basilisk from deepstriking units? should i stick some troops next 2 it or put my command squad next to it?
    Thanks in advance for all the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm no IG expert yet but I'll try.

Getting 4 troops for your HQ (I'm guessing you mean the 4 models that accompany your commander) in the cheapest way is obviously 4 lasgunners. But it's also nice to stick in a company banner and maybe a few cheap weapons (Glaunchers etc.). But if you're playing a larger sized game (1500-2000+) it may be beneficial to add in a commisar if you're in to the whole leadership thing.

As for the hardened vets, I would use whatever your comfortable with most. Personally, I'd let you represent vets. as stormies and so would a lot of people. But there are always some stingy bastards out there who won't let you. And you might run into some problems making Heavy weapon teams out of stormtroopers. But, it's really up to you.

Finally, protecting the bassie, I'm not sure. I don't own one yet but I've heard a ring of guardsmen around the outside is a good option. But honestly, I don't meet to many players who deepstrike units just to destroy a bassie. Although, if you can it may be wise to have some protection. Like they say, 'It's better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it'.

Anyway, I'm sure other players- more experienced than I am could give you some good advice.

Good Luck!

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

I'd use whatever your regular troops are for Vets and just give them some minor additional details. Squad markings, backpacks, etc. Kasrkin clearly wear carapace so you'd really be proxying if you used them.

For most guard armies, the optimal command squad is a Heroic Senior Officer with Iron Discipline and Standard Bearer. Everyone gets lasguns. You hide the unit behind terrain to protect your leadership bubble for the entire game.

For 86 points this lets you have a 12" Ld 10 bubble with rerolls and the ability to regroup. You should never risk it by having it in the open to be shot at.

As for protecting a bassie, what type of unit are you expecting to DS against you? If it is something shooty, then a bodyguard unit won't help. If it is an assault unit, they can't attack the turn they arrive. Just spin tha bassie around and introduce them to the business end of the Earthshaker Cannon, direct fire style.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheepest way to get the command squad guardsmen? Unless you can buy them individually for cheep somewhere you unfortunately have to get the enitire infantry box. Just try to find uses for the leftover bits, and the cost wont hurt as bad.

For veterans, I use guardsmen, as they are nothing more than guardsmen who have been around the block a few times. How I distuinguish mine from the rest of the guardsmen is by painting their helmets a different colour.

The best way to protect a basilisk? If terrain allows do all of the following:
    Keep it out of LOS from the enemy. Keep it IN LOS to your men so that anything that lands near it knows its going to die, the whole discouragement factor. Keep it near the corner so that scatter is a big worry for them.
    what do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

twin linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Thank you
    1 I should have specified that i ment the cheapest money wise, i hate the fact that i have to shell out 35 $ to get 4 guys.

2 Okay i just want my list to be legal and i was not sure

3 My friend always gets my bassie by keeping his scarab groups as small as possible and deepstirkes them and hopes to get a few strikes in before i take them out, and uses that as a way to keep the pressure off his advancing units, i was thinking of devoting one of my command platoons with 4 flamers to protect it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

For the scarab problem...
    Consider getting 2 bassies and putting them in opposite corners if you have the points. Also a Command section with 2 flamers and a mortar or 4 flamers would be good. An alternative to this would be a Sentinel with heavy flamer which is considerably cheaper. Just remember not to get distracted from the important bits of the battle because of a trivial side show skirmish.

If other more numerous deap strikers are used just crowd the area so he can't land.

+ Reply to Thread