Neophytes and Black Templars.. your thoughts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neophytes and Black Templars.. your thoughts?

Hi all,

my black templars are at 1000 points right now, and i've decided to buy some Scouts. does anyone else use neophytes? and what tactics are they used for? meat shields? cheap beefing of squads?

also, does anyone actually use the shotgun option?

Cheers,

Chad

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mate neophytes are awesome. they get the same attacks as marines with the same stats except for the save. i always run them. you get 10 initiates and 10 neophytes stick them in the same squad and you got a big squad.(it's funny when a nid player comes up to you gives you a game and then finds out he is outnumbered and by marines) not only are they cheap their effective in combat.
    i recommend you get some
    Never broken, Never fallen, Courage out of fear.
    "Those who give up often do not realize just how close they are to success when they give up."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

I used to love them, but I've been fading away from them more and more lately. The biggest problem I see with them is that they are uneffected by my favorite vow, so that means they are just basic scouts... although cheap ones at that.

I've taken to running 8:2 or 10:5 initiate:neophyte squads, and rarely go with the huge 20-man squad. These giant squads get shot to pieces so quickly, they are hardly every scoring before the end of 2nd turn. They do go crazy, however, if they do hit.

Perhaps I'm mistaken (I honestly might be wrong here as I can't remember), but I thought that they didn't have the same stats as a basic marine (particularly in WS & BS & SV). This can cause some bad things to happen when they outnumber the marines because everyone is hit easier at a the majority WS. It's just a game to play of trying to get the SVs to a point where you like them and you don't get abused by the majority armor saves & Weapon Skill.

So how do I use Neophytes: I use them to shave down the points of my units without hurting the overall effectiveness of the unit, as a whole. Or to intimadate my opponent when I place a 24-man squad down on the table.

Just my two cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude with the scouts going to move to elite (WTF? only one troop choice?) and everything, the templars are gunna be scout central (unless they change them, and just totally spit fluff in the face)

and as an assaulty force the templars would want to have smeatshield/extra attacks with the only disadvantage is that glowing 4+ save:yes: yes and nothing else, not a WS or BS getting lower, just the save
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x5)

The BT Neophytes do not have the same statline as the standard SM scout. Check your codecies, there are differences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

I have mixed feelings about neophytes. In theory it is a great idea, take saveable wounds on the Initiates and AP3+ on the Neophytes and your initiates will get in virtually unharmed, however in practice your opponent is smarter than that and uses a small amount of high AP shots until the Neophytes end up in the majority, then shoot them to pieces. Generally you find it's the Neophytes get in with their inferior WS and lack of vows, which really tips it against you in combat.

However, sending 10 initiates on their own is no better as they take so much flak. So my advice would be to either take a Rhino, or take a few initiates, but don't overdo it, equal or close to equal is a bad idea. I don't like to take more than 1 Neophyte per 2 Initiates.

At the moment I am using squads of 9-10/5, I find that is a good number and the 5 Neophytes come to almost exactly the same cost as a Rhino, so it is great from a play-testing perspective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neophytes are good in many ways. I run 2-4 squads of Crusader Squads, each w/the 10-5 ratio and they have done awsome. Add that with my ten man terminator squad w/marshal, the looks on my oppenets faces when they see all of those marines is just priceless . They can intimate a oppent easily when they see those huge squads, are good in CC and fearless, and can turn the tide of a fight due to the attacks they give your squads. (neo took out carnifex).:w00t:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neophytes are good in many ways. I run 2-4 squads of Crusader Squads, each w/the 10-5 ratio and they have done awsome. They can intimate a oppent easily when they see those huge squads, are good in CC, and they add pertty cool fluff to the army as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

srry, comp messed up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Never run more than five in a squad of 10 initiates. I use them to beef upo squads so they are not to depleted when the crusader squads take advantage of righteous zeal.

Another way I use them is if I run 10 initiates with attached IC in a LRC, the extra 4 add to pain when they assault out of the LRC.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

+ Reply to Thread