Using a Demolisher - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

Using a Demolisher

Hey Folks,

It's late, which makes the mind wander. Right now it is wandering into the realm of the Demolisher, and I've become befuddled.

See, a Leman Russ I understand. Use the Pie Plate unless the heavy bolters are for some reason better, which rarely happens unless you need a lot of shots on a single target, like a monsterous dude.

But Demolishers confuse me. They have a 24" range uber ordinance template and it seems like folks like to load them up with plasma cannons and the lascannon. Seems like a lot of points for having to make a choice between the BIG gun and 3 also big guns...

I'm going to go pass out now, it's 20am and I'm making bad eBay decisions on top of this puzzlement

Last edited by RecklessFable; August 4th, 2007 at 08:02.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way I've seen my friend do it is with sponson plasma cannons and a heavy bolter. You use the demolisher cannon against vehicles and when there are multiple units next to each other (to garuntee that you hit something even if it drifts). Against infantry with nothing else around them stay still and fire both plasma cannons and the heavy bolter. Chances are you will hit with at least one of the two cannons and be able to place a strength 7 AP2 small blast wherever you want (no worrying about drift), annihilating even the fanciest infantry on a 2+ with no armor saves allowed.

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

But Demolishers confuse me. They have a 24" range uber ordinance template and it seems like folks like to load them up with plasma cannons and the lascannon. Seems like a lot of points for having to make a choice between the BIG gun and 3 also big guns...

I bought a demolisher with plasma cannons and a lascannon once, second hand. After 2 games the sponsons were ripped off and were added to my bits box (for people who have seen it, thats where I got the plasma cannon for my servitor).

I think you have hit the nail right on the head. There is no way I would EVER take a lascannon and plasma cannons on a demolisher tank, you will get 1 shot off max before the enemy is close enough for you just to use your demolisher cannon.

I'd almost say that the best combo for this beast is to not take sponsons at all, and just hide the thing till you can actually effectively smite something.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I built my demolisher with both plasma and lascannons and after a few games I came to the conclusions that tripple heavy bolters is simply what works best. People will see your demolisher loaded up with all those big guns and just manuever around so that you'll never get to fire more than one. Only once in my demolisher history did I get to fire all three weapons and that was only because I was lucky enough to make the rhino my opponent was hiding behind explode and reveal the squishies hiding behind it to the las/plas combo demolisher.

In short: Heavy Bolters, always.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally im going to get 2.

the first its going to have multi-melta sponsons and a lascannon for that extra anti-tank goodness8X

the second is HB's all round w Heavy Stubber for added shootiness

that provides two seperate tanks which are absolutely awesome at what they do.

and then of course a leman russ or maybe a basilisk, depends lol
    Come to Heresy Online, always a good time and a friendy bunch and no flames in sight (except on the awesome models) - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/register.php?referrerid=188

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people use heavy bolters, don't know where you heard otherwise...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i never said they didnt, i just was putting out my idea of having 2, 1 for each role. i couldn't care less what other people do, ill make my tank do what I want
    Come to Heresy Online, always a good time and a friendy bunch and no flames in sight (except on the awesome models) - http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/register.php?referrerid=188

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always kitted my demolishers the same as my russes - load up on heavy bolters. They count as defensive weapons and can be fired on the move, unlike lascannons and multimeltas. Thus you can fire at any infantry in LOS while moving your Demolisher into a position to get a bead on an armored target, letting you pick whichever tool works best for the targets you're presented.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by antipaladin View Post
    I always kitted my demolishers the same as my russes - load up on heavy bolters. They count as defensive weapons and can be fired on the move, unlike lascannons and multimeltas. Thus you can fire at any infantry in LOS while moving your Demolisher into a position to get a bead on an armored target, letting you pick whichever tool works best for the targets you're presented.
    This is how I like em too - plus a heavy stubber like Heriticus said. Because... I love heavy stubbers.

Las-Plas is too expensive, too cumbersome. Heavy bolters let you move and shoot, which helps Demolishers fulfill their intended role as an aggressive, mobile tank. Personally the Demolisher is my favorite tank the IG have, for playstyle and coolness 8Y
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a few games of having las/plas, I've definately come to realise that whilst it sounds cool and is definately very intimidating to the opponent at first, I'd always just load up on heavy bolters from now on, same as my normal Russes.

+ Reply to Thread