New Marines force--Chinese themed? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Marines force--Chinese themed?

I asked EMance where I could put this and he said right here, so here goes...

I'm considering starting a Space Marine army based around a Chinese theme, Dynastic China to be specific (perhaps following the fall of the Han dynasty, aka "Three Kingdoms" period). I'm wondering if any here have experience setting up color schemes, heraldry, traits, etc for such a themed army. Failing that, experience starting any non-Western themed army would do (how you went about doing it, pitfalls, etc). It's my first DIY chapter, and I decided to go with something a little different

So, any ideas on how to approach this project?

"Wife! You are abusing that Leman Russ model!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Three Kingdoms era, eh? For colours and other ideas, you might consider checking out the Dynasty Warrior games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess some research would be in order.

For theme and traits, look up what <dynasty of choice> used for their military. If they used lots of horses, use lots of bikes and take a trait that lets you take more than normal. If they were known for having good archers, go gun heavy. I'll assume mech will be out of the question (perhaps no vehicles at all?)

I did a quick search for ming dynasty military stuff (only dynasty I can remember off hand). Found these two pictures you may be able to drawn color schemes from.

Anyway, sounds like a fun idea, and best of luck to you.
    Black Templar (3000)
    Imperial Guard (1500 and growing)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally play a High Tech chapter, the chinese did invent gunpowder and had some nice siege weapons.

Making this chapter isn't much different to making a normal DIY chapter. Just come up with a Founding Champion and a few traits, pick a parent chapter and you can go from there.
    If you call it a Missile launcher, then it'll never hit anything.

100% of people who aren't Karmoon know Saraneth is invincible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Green/Red/Gold or Blue/Red/Gold would look really nice if you could manage to do it right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bike army would be best because the stereotypical ancient chinese army had a lot of cavelry with great big banners and stuff, Also go power weapon heavy without power fists i.e. katana wielding bikemen.

but yea, reds golds and excessive banners. sounds like alot of fun.
    Total 40k: >5000pts
    total WFB: ~2000pts
    I also enjoy good music, fine food, late night strolls on the beach and dancing in moonkin form :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions all. Think I'm going with the kingdom of Shu from the period I mentioned earlier. From what I've read so far, one of their big things was massed units of crossbowmen. So guess I'll be a fairly shooty army...different than my usual Blood Angels! As far as colors go, maybe some kind of dark green and gold or bronze, some black too. Again, different than painting everything red...should be interesting.

A friend of mine taught English in China for a year and consequently had to learn Chinese. I'll ask her help coming up with designs/single Chinese characters to put on back banners and such.

Again, thanks all!
    "Wife! You are abusing that Leman Russ model!"

+ Reply to Thread