Pure Adeptus Sororitas advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pure Adeptus Sororitas advice

Hey guys, I'm a new 40k player, though I've known about it for quite some time. I've decided to use the witch hunters, or more specifically, the sisters of battle for my first army. I'm thinking of using a pure Sisters of Battle army, 'cos I love the units look and rules. Not a very great choice for a beginner, but i REALLY like them, especially the flaming:shifty:

Anyways, I was hoping of getting some generic and effective tactics for using the sisters of battle against different types of armies, like eldar, tau or more assaulty armies. I've read stJohn's tactica, and I think I would want to go for a more mech'd approach, with most of the killing being done by the sisters, though I'm open to new tactics. I understand that close range shooting is what we do best, but I was hoping for more...detailed tactics.
    I know I'll be up against an eldar player who relies a lot on his prisms, an armour heavy DH player, and a rather mechanized tau player. Maybe we could start with some advice against those types of armies.

Last edited by SnoWhite; August 5th, 2007 at 11:54.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Against those armies you can start by preparing to get your butt kicked, a lot. Mech tau and mech eldar are the two toughest armies for the sisters to play against. Both tend to fight by dancing around at long range and firing heavy weapons at you. Quite often heavy weapons that ignore your armour save. Sisters rely heavily on short range shooting so are liable to find themselves struggling to catch these slippery opponents. Grav tanks are a lot faster and more agile than Rhinos, and both enemies are very good at knocking them out. When reduced to footslogging it sisters don't do well.

Against such opponents I would instead rely on Exorcists and jump pack troops. These have the mobility and range to have some chance of getting to grips with them. Max out your FOC slots with both of them. That's three Exo's, three squads of seras and 1 or even 2 jumpy canonesses. This will limit the size of your army, and they will take a lot of fire, so it will still be difficult. Make full use of the Exo's ability to move and fire at full effect to lurk in cover then rush out to fire. Try to concentrate their fire against tough opponents like Eldar grav tanks, it often takes a great many hits to do serious damage to those things.

The seras should likewise make use of cover. Not to hide in, they don't need a cover save, but to block LOS. SotM will protect them from enemy fire to a great degree. Squads should be 6 or 8 strong for maximum efficiency. Seras can reach grav tanks in close combat so eviscerators on the VSS's will be useful for carving through them. Two sets of inferno pistols in a squad may be useful for zapping tough enemies and for extra AT power. Against tau don't be at all afraid to charge them in cc, tau are really useless in hand-to-hand and the seras will kick them about. The seras can then use their Hit-and-Run ability to 'bounce' off a squad and near to something that would otherwise try to keep out of range of them. Do this in the enemy assault phase and they won't be able to flee before your seras are on them. Done well this has a pinball effect, with your seras bouncing around all over the place.

Retributors with heavy bolters may be useful depending on enemy tactics. Personally though I suspect that they will just attract fire while the enemy keeps out of range or in cover. You really need troops that can move and shoot to be able to get a line on mech tau or eldar.

An important part of the battle will be setting up the terrain. Make sure there is a lot of it, preferably concentrated towards the centre of the board. Your army will need plenty of blocked LOS's to survive. It may also force your opponent to get closer than he would like in order to draw a bead on you. Stay behind this terrain, but not in it. You don't want casualties or immobilisations from difficult terrain.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Well your going to want Exorcists for anti-tank because they are the only true anti-tank that we have.

You'll want seraphim most likely even though you like tanks, seraphim prove of greater use then dominion squads.

Against the Eldar player if he focuses a lot on the fire prisms, just pour all your fire power into those that has capability to take them down, pour the rest into his troops.

Against the DH player, focus on one squad at a time, because of shrouding and power armour your going to have a tough time taking him down. His vehicles if any should be quite easy to take down, not being affected by shrouding.

Against Tau you'll just want to take out his transports.

Really against these armies you just have to use your Exorcists to take down his tanks, Seraphim have capability to take down tanks should you really get desperate.

Hmmm... I'm explaining this poorly today, perhaps someone else can better explain what I'm trying to tell you.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a side note that at the uk gamesday they will be releasing or at least allowing you to by plastic sisters of battle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments so far. From what you guys are saying, it seems I will have to focus quite a bit of my troops into anti tank roles against the eldar and tau. I can see how relying on my seraphim and exorcists will be my best bet, but I was wondering if there was any way to use the standard sisters of battle more effectively besides mopping up whatever's left. I've always believed that the key to victory lies in your infantry.(SoBs)

Just a side note that at the uk gamesday they will be releasing or at least allowing you to by plastic sisters of battle.
    Plastic sisters will help my wallet a lot, and be a lot easier to convert too. Too bad I don't live in the UK though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maneater View Post
    Where did you hear that from? Sisters (and the inquisition) are one of the most neglected armies. I doubt we would get plastic sisters. And if we are about to, we would have heard something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by God octo View Post
    Where did you hear that from? Sisters (and the inquisition) are one of the most neglected armies. I doubt we would get plastic sisters. And if we are about to, we would have heard something.
    I second that (loudly!) I had assumed that plastic Sisters were never going to happen. (Someone at LO had spoken to some GW person who said that the fine detail of the Sororitas uniform couldn't be rendered in plastic! And no I'm not imagining that!)
    However, if something new has or is coming from the modeling gods, then please tell (and maybe list your source?)
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread