Which Tank Combo should i use - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which combo

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2 Basilisks, 1 leman russ (or demolisher)

12 20.34%
  • 3 Basiliska

2 3.39%
  • 3 Leman russ

18 30.51%
  • 2 leman russ, 1 basilisk

27 45.76%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which Tank Combo should i use

Which combo should i use

AND DON'T SAY THE BANEBLADE. I MAY PICK ONE UP AFTER TO MAKE IT 3000 POINTS OF MY ARMY.

Please tell me why u chose the choice you made

"Like frenzied beasts, they was. But I tell you, there was never a sweeter sound than the howls of the Wulfen that night."
    Sgt. Pridman, veteran of the Tlax slaughter

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

If you have a Russ, A demolisher, and a basilisk you will have 3 tanks that can perform different but similar roles because their cannon has different S and AP. Also the Regular Russ and the Demolisher have different armor values which you can take advantage of.

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

either 2 russes and a demolisher or 3 russes basalisk are easy kills on such small boards because their minimum indirect fire range(the only way u can use one to make sure it wont die turn 1) is only 36' then you have to be in line of site =dead basalisk or wasted basalisk either way you dont want either. but a leman russ can stand in the middle of the board if supported correctly and a demolisher is a great assault tank(kills termies without saves good in my book lol)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run one battle tank one demolisher and one basilisk in my 1500. It works wonderfully. It gives you mobile firepower that you need. Supported by infantry and blam you got yourself and armored column. Late in the game moving that through will help you capture any objectives you need. And with that 12" move you can get to an objective quick like. Also those ordance templates are nasty. Guard can be used two ways, massed infantry or armored support. I use armor. And it works out niceley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I choose 3 Russes - ideally I'd run 2 Russes and a Demolisher or 2 Russes and a Heavy Weapon platoon.

As mentioned above, I don't think basilisks are that useful with that 36" minimum fire, and I love a torrent of heavy bolters, so much the better if there is 3 of them, and they're sat on a big tank!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the two russ, 1 demo. setup.

Reason - I love russes and demolishers but generally dislike bassies (though they look sweet!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, who voted for 3 Basilisks?

"Like frenzied beasts, they was. But I tell you, there was never a sweeter sound than the howls of the Wulfen that night."
    Sgt. Pridman, veteran of the Tlax slaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 bassies, this might seem like a very bad idea, but for me its not.

This MAY have something to do with the 96" by 48" board we usually play on, but unless im playing a small board then I will never have less than 2 bassies, and most likely 3. I never get tired of seeing the look on my black templar playing friends face, when I drop 3 pie plates of uber doom on several of his tactical marine squads. Usually the dice god is my friend as well, as just last game I managed a HIT result 4 or 5 times (in a row), now how is that for luck ?

Yes the bassie dies very quickly, yes the min range is a pain sometimes, but I usually place them like this (if we are playing the long table edges)

One in the left corner
    One in the Right corner
    One in the Middle

Support these with either something shooty or something CC'ish, and they can be a pain, as they fire every round of the game, not needing LOS. That makes for 18 pie plates of doom, placed anywhere on the board in a 6 turn game.

Yes the russ also packs a punch, and can take more return fire, but it need LOS, and it has the same BS and scatters almost as much... thus, I vote bassies all the way.

Artillery Power , to bad they cant be upgraded to tactical nukes though .

Note: I would not use the bassies in 3rd ed was it? when you actually had to guess the range to an enemy unit. I just dont have the skill needed to do that reliably, then I would vote 3 leman or 2 leman and 1 demolisher. But hail 4th ed rules, guess range is no longer "guess the range"

Cheers

- Valthonis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall I'd run 3 Russes to 2 Russes and a Demolisher.

It depends on your board. Basilisks are just too fragile for me. Maybe within the year all get a Basilisk for when we do huge table long mega battles.

I always like having something in my army that I know 1 on 1 can beat anything. The Russ better fills that role with its long range and AV 14. Yes you need LOS, but if you set it up well then little will shoot back and it won't be even scratching the Leman Russ.

Id take a demolisher so it can advance, if I ever have too. Also the cannon is just so lovely! Yet on paper thats what I do, but I don't like how the demolisher looks. So 3 Russes

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

Unlike you Valthonis i play on at table that is 48' from me to my enemy so with a basalisk in cover i would get 1 or 2 turns of shooting then i would have to be in line of sight

also i love the look on my friends face when he has a broadside and 2 hammerheads(strength 10 weapons) shoot at the Rear armor of my(lucky) russ(2 +) for 3 turns without doing anything to it(lucky tank)

put simply a russ can do anything a basalisk has to stay out of line of sight or else

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast