Answering the call for war... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Answering the call for war...

ok guys, gna need a bit of help in choosing my guard army units...

altho ive been a guard fan for a while, ive never had a complete force, 1000pts being my max :/

but im starting a new force adn cud do with sum helpful tips on deployment, unit selection, the works

to help u on ur way, i will jst mention that i am a mass infantry fan, genade launchers all the way, no heavy weaps in infantry squads, solid leadership and a sentinel lover

doctrines atm are as followed - Iron Discipline, Close Order Drill, Veterans, Die Hards, Heavy Weapons Platoons - vets and die hards are up for swaps but the other 3 arent :p

i am thinking of filling the F.O.C with everythign i can, big job but i can do it

heres wht im thinking force wise (no pts cost so far) allowing me to pick wht i need for battle etc

HQ - senior/heroic senior officer with carapace armour, boltgun <- (possibly master crafted) power sword, Iron Discipline. vet with bolter, medic, and standard bearer with company banner, normal dude. Die Hards
    - possible sentinel sqd with autocannons

Elites - veteran squads with vet sarge with bolter, grenade launcher (3?) and chimera with autocannon turret - 3 squads if i have Veterans as a Doctrine. D.H

Troops - Junior officer with bolter, carapace armour, I.D. vet with bolter, medic, 2 normal dudes. D.H
    - infantry squads - grenade launcher, vet sarge with bolter. D.H

Fast Attack - 1 hellhound (forgeworld)
    - sentinel squds with autocannons and extra amrour, searchlight, smoke launchers - in pairs of 2 (4 for FA and 2 for HQ addon)

Heavy support - Leman Russ (at least 1) Exterminator pattern atm, maybe a variety so i can choose accordingly? with upgrades as well
    - 2 Heavy weapons platoons with 1 Missle launcher squad, 1 mortar squad and a fire support squd with 2 heavy bolters and autocannon - command section is as infantry platoons D.H's?

ok, so thts the plan :p its a big plan but i shall get there, my army is themed altho i have yet to define my theme, solid leadership is a must for me, along with mass infantry,

so yea, any pointers on upgrades and maximising the best from my troops, all appreciated

sorry to bore u all to death {goofy}

In the name of the Emperor and for the Glory of the Imperium... Gimme Back My Girlfriend! :(

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavy weapons belong in squads it will alow them to survive.

I also love gernade launchers but i go with flammers.

I am also a fan of large infantry. I know you said you want to keep COD but i dont think its a good idea i would just use leadership bubbles from commanders with iron disiplin. I would also reccomend not taking bolters they really arent worth it. I would also drop diehards your men will die in close combat usually no matter what. i would consider taking conscripts with independent commissars as that will help you with you mass of troops.

On your list you will need another platton of men cause each platoon is only one choice.
    The most dangerous men in the world are the ones who have nothing to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know abt the platoons, i was meant to say im including 6 of them lol (filling FOC)

and i knw abt the heavy weapon teams/squad (i guess im not very clear lol)

i idea with COD was tht my troops wud go to leadership 9! with the veteran included u knw? and die hards to stop them from running in combat, even if they did die quickly

and i can never get close enuf with my squads to use flamer :/ so i use G.launchers, allows me to take out marines, and a the oddlite vehicle etc (with a lucky shot tht is lol)

but the conscripts adn independant commisars is worth thinking abt thanks
    In the name of the Emperor and for the Glory of the Imperium... Gimme Back My Girlfriend! :(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know abt the platoons, i was meant to say im including 6 of them lol (filling FOC)

and i knw abt the heavy weapon teams/squad (i guess im not very clear lol)

i idea with COD was tht my troops wud go to leadership 9! with the veteran included u knw? and die hards to stop them from running in combat, even if they did die quickly

and i can never get close enuf with my squads to use flamer :/ so i use G.launchers, allows me to take out marines, and a the oddlite vehicle etc (with a lucky shot tht is lol)

but the conscripts adn independant commisars is worth thinking abt thanks

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaabhekh View Post
    ok guys, gna need a bit of help in choosing my guard army units...

altho ive been a guard fan for a while, ive never had a complete force, 1000pts being my max :/

but im starting a new force adn cud do with sum helpful tips on deployment, unit selection, the works
    Not to sound bitchy, but correct grammar, spelling, etc will save you from irate Mod wrath. :yes:

to help u on ur way, i will jst mention that i am a mass infantry fan, genade launchers all the way, no heavy weaps in infantry squads, solid leadership and a sentinel lover
    Grenade Launchers are a cost inneffective weapon, Sentinels work best either in a Drop troop heavy army (where they provide some much needed heavy weapon fire), or in armies that have a number of other armoured distractions (you'll skirt around the edge of your board sniping at targets with them). Otherwise their weak armour sees them getting torn to shreds in quick order.

doctrines atm are as followed - Iron Discipline, Close Order Drill, Veterans, Die Hards, Heavy Weapons Platoons - vets and die hards are up for swaps but the other 3 arent :p
    Veterans is an A grade doctrine, Die Hards is much further down the chain. The problem with Die Hards is that it nerfs one of our great advantages over other armies. While most armies have some form of good Leadership, ours gives us the tactical advantage of being able to try and choose whether to hold our ground or fall back and regroup (you do this by either choosing to use excellent Officer Leadership values, or by using crappy Infantry leadership, this is also why Veteran Sergeants and Close Order Drill are counterintuitive). If you want Sentinels, switch Die Hards out for Drop Troops, at least that way you open up your deployment avenues.

HQ - senior/heroic senior officer with carapace armour, boltgun <- (possibly master crafted) power sword, Iron Discipline. vet with bolter, medic, and standard bearer with company banner, normal dude. Die Hards
    Drop the bolter, and mastercrafting. Not worth the points. Stick with a laspistol as it'll do more damage when it packs you an extra Power Weapon attack. As for the Officer, I suggest picking a HSO, don't bother with the SO, he's not worth the points you pay either. This unit shouldn't be getting shot up either so I'd replace the medic with a Mortar team, or just spend the points elsewhere.

- possible sentinel sqd with autocannons
    That's alright, have you considered the other support teams? They're brilliant too.

Elites - veteran squads with vet sarge with bolter, grenade launcher (3?) and chimera with autocannon turret - 3 squads if i have Veterans as a Doctrine. D.H
    That's a waste of their skills. Their Ballistic Skill is a rare luxury for us, so make full use of it with the biggest baddest badass guns points can buy. A popular set up is 3 Plasmaguns and 3 Lascannons for a firebase team, that comes out to 140pts, not bad for what you get. The other popular setup is a suicide deepstrike team, 75pts gets you 3 Meltaguns, add Drop Troops and drop them on your enemy to catch them with their britches down. Don't beef that type of unit up anyfurther though because they're not to reason why, they're just to do or die (or both, both is acceptable).

The other thing you should do is move the Chimera elswhere, to your HQ or something. Veterans pay for Infiltrate so don't waste that luxury by adding a Chimera.

Troops - Junior officer with bolter, carapace armour, I.D. vet with bolter, medic, 2 normal dudes. D.H
    If you want a second strong Leadership node, whack an Honourifica Imperialis and basically make a carbon copy of your HQ minus the standard bearer. Otherwise keep them cheap and don't go overboard with upgrades.

- infantry squads - grenade launcher, vet sarge with bolter. D.H
    Grenade Launchers are terrible weapons for their cost, I strongly reccomend dropping them. You also need to get some Heavy Weapons in these squads ASAP.

Fast Attack - 1 hellhound (forgeworld)
    - sentinel squds with autocannons and extra amrour, searchlight, smoke launchers - in pairs of 2 (4 for FA and 2 for HQ addon)
    Looks alright.

Heavy support - Leman Russ (at least 1) Exterminator pattern atm, maybe a variety so i can choose accordingly? with upgrades as well
    Don't go overboard on upgrades, having nothing but sponson upgrades is just fine. Russes usually work best in 2s or 3s as it helps split up the AT fire a bit, but shouldn't hurt you too much.

- 2 Heavy weapons platoons with 1 Missle launcher squad, 1 mortar squad and a fire support squd with 2 heavy bolters and autocannon - command section is as infantry platoons D.H's?
    Strongly suggest getting Lascannons instead of Rockets, they're a small rise in points for a much larger threat range. Also, drop a Heavy Weapon Platoon and move the squads to your HQ, that way they get the luxury of deploying later.

That's just the problem, running is much often a better option for you, and the Sarge goes and screws everything up by boosting your LD.

For mere 2pts more a Plasmagun will do both of these jobs much much better.

That would cost a minumum of 1110pts, and that's before weapons and upgrades.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the opnion

i can see where ur coming from with alot of tht info, so i will take tht into account and give it another thinking

also, if they ahd other plastics i wud prolly end up going for another regiment, but u knw :/

my other 'themed' army is to go for light infantry using Catachans,

at least 50% of troops taken to battle are lite infantry, heavy weapong platoons, sentinels et etc, jst like a drop troop army but with it being light infantry

and in wht way will i face the mods wrath for grammer etc? :s

+ Reply to Thread