Can you help out an evil warlord please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

Can you help out an evil warlord please

Hello, I am writting a tactica for the New chaos on how to fight other armies. I am researching other armies to better understand thier strengths and weaknesses. I can't seem to find a general IG tactica to get a feel for what i will be up agianst. Could anyone refer me to a good IG tactic article, or tell me some common IG tactics. Thanks. Please do not give me HOW TO BEAT IG advise as i would like to specifically link it to the new chaos codex and not just generalized version on how to beat guard. I also would like to figure that part out myself. thanks

That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are a few of my ideas which might assist you in understanding what The Imperial Guard player has to keep in mind while organizing their battles.

The strength of the guard is their ability to bring lots of wounds to the table. Though each infantry soldier has very average stats they combine weight of fire to solve problems. Most armies will be unable to bring the numbers of heavy weapons, tanks, and specialized troops to the table that the guard can. The largest failing that the guard has is their inability to match other armies in hand to hand ability. We tend to rely on Rough Riders, Ogryns, and large squads of Conscripts to slow down enemy hand to hand charges. There is also very little in the way of Psyker abilities available to the guard commander. What is available is cheap but is also random. The guard arguably has the best transport and main tank options in the game when you compare the points cost to the battlefield value of each vehicle.

When building a guard army you must decide on whether or not you will be using a standard force or a force which includes Doctrines. Doctrines allow for a great deal of flexibility in upgrading tactical game play options, as well as individual flavor to each guard army. A Doctrine army however trades upgrades for unit availability. There are a great many force organization options that are limited by requiring a Doctrine point to purchase back the ability to field them. Examples of these include Ogryns, Ratlings, Rough Riders, Heavy Weapon Platoons and many more of the specialized unit options available to the guard player.

Guard leadership is strong. If a guard player chooses Doctrines centered around keeping their forces from running in battle, it is very difficult to dislodge standard infantry troops from strategic positions. The difficult part about playing to the guard leadership advantage is positioning leaders so that they are able to rally the majority of your forces. Each guard officer is able to bestow their leadership to any squad with a model within 12" of the officer. This means that almost every soldier is testing at a leadership of 9 or even 10.

Most successful guard armies contain a mixture of infantry grunts, officers and mobile ordinance. It is advantageous for guard players to create a strong mix of each of these options so while facing opponents you are able to use the right tool for the right job.
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

Twin-Linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Guards tactics:

1) Defensive line - Guards keep back and wait for you, basilisks at the battlefield's corners will make clear you can't win a long range firefight. You close and meet a first line of cheap 75 pts squads shooting at your carriers and fast vehicles with autocannons. You charge them, they break, your assault squads consolidate in front of second line's guns. Second line is made up of veterans, stormtroopers, command sections, all carrying an obscene amount of move and fire special weapons. More of them will drop behind you at that point, beware of lone last chancers with democharges. Then there are the roughriders with their long charge range and power weapon attacks in the first charge. Light Infantry doctrine could be used to infiltrate troops in the best places.

2) Drop Army - Whole army deepstrikes, keep in mind that a single reserve roll is enough to bring down a platoon of five squads + command section with 4 special weapons&plasma pistol. Often Sharpshooter dovctrine is used to maximize their fire and Close Order Drill to resist countercharges.

3) Armored Wedge - Chimera mounted Grenadiers are the only troops, the rest of the army is made up of Lemans, Hellhounds, Sentinels and the like. Usually one Demolisher spearheads the lighter vehicles, as two Lemans stand and pound with their battlecannons, moving only when out of targets. Sentinels flank the main advance taking pot-shots and giving false targets to enemy fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traitors!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Ha...we got new smilys... lmfao....anyway!

Drop Armies- Be careful, I have seen an army devastate an opponent on the second turn. All is takes is some luck, and BAM, you have hundreds of guardsmen making your men knock on heavens door. (Yes, I am listening to that song right now... For those of you who don't know it is- Knocking On Heavens Door.) These armies are the most random ones, and can either snuff it, or be devastating. Be careful here.

-J
    Last edited by Killswitch; August 18th, 2007 at 22:14.

I'm back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Key points on guard:
    • Lack of mobility The guard have very little in game mobility (I say in game because they can get an astounding amount of freedom in deployment with the light infantry doctrine making everything in their army infiltrators and the drop troops doctrine), once a guard unit is on the table it will probably end the game where it stands.
    • Tanks vs wounds The guard will (idealy) get either 3 Leman Russ and lots of hellhounds, sentinels and chimeras or over 100 infantry.
    • Fragile Infantry T3 and 5+ armour save, bolters will melt through them unless they get Carapace armour doctrine (unpopular exxept in Drop Troop armies due to cost) or Cameleoline (much more common, adds 1 to any cover saves).
    I would add to this but I'm having a mind blank, hope this helps traitor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by kroxigor01 View Post
    Key points on guard:
    • Lack of mobility The guard have very little in game mobility (I say in game because they can get an astounding amount of freedom in deployment with the light infantry doctrine making everything in their army infiltrators and the drop troops doctrine), once a guard unit is on the table it will probably end the game where it stands.
    • Tanks vs wounds The guard will (idealy) get either 3 Leman Russ and lots of hellhounds, sentinels and chimeras or over 100 infantry.
    • Fragile Infantry T3 and 5+ armour save, bolters will melt through them unless they get Carapace armour doctrine (unpopular exxept in Drop Troop armies due to cost) or Cameleoline (much more common, adds 1 to any cover saves).
    I would add to this but I'm having a mind blank, hope this helps traitor.
    lack of mobility my ***! Chimera is used so much and people seem to use drop troops to a great extent so no they do not have a lack of mobility. Fragile infantry is not htat true. Were better than the Orks in armour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Hermann Morr View Post

1) Defensive line - Guards keep back and wait for you, basilisks at the battlefield's corners will make clear you can't win a long range firefight. You close and meet a first line of cheap 75 pts squads shooting at your carriers and fast vehicles with autocannons. You charge them, they break, your assault squads consolidate in front of second line's guns. Second line is made up of veterans, stormtroopers, command sections, all carrying an obscene amount of move and fire special weapons. More of them will drop behind you at that point, beware of lone last chancers with democharges. Then there are the roughriders with their long charge range and power weapon attacks in the first charge. Light Infantry doctrine could be used to infiltrate troops in the best places.

To be honest Koss, I feel this is the one you need to be aware of.

It is this type of set-up the tells you the Guard player is usually well organised, and knows exactly how he wants to play his game. His deployment will be efficient, he will try take control of a few major Fire Paths, and generally play to his strengths as much as possible. If worst comes to worst, he can use his vehicles' bulk to block you off, and use his own cheap units to speedbump any major assault... stopping you is not his goal, but keeping you at arms length for another shooting phase to cut down your numbers is. Just like Necrons, if you throw enough IG models into combat, the opponent will either a) realize he has bitten off more than he can chew, and faulter in his all out attack on the Guard lines (buying them time), or b) continue what he is doing, which the IG player will have prepared for anyways.

The IG share a common trait with Tyranids: as put by the fine IG poster Cadaver Junkie... "It's not how many men to get the job done, it's how many do you need to sacrifice to get it done"- a bit like Nids, but not so straightforward.

Not that any other army examples given in the thread are better/worse than this type of Gun Line IG army, but the Gun Line gives an insight into the IG persons gaming attitude, rather than "Spam my Battlecannons and armour!" or "Deep Strike with my shootiest of shooty guns and pain!".

/sweeping generalization (no offence to any Guard player, as they still beatdown lists- I seen 'em! ))
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frakking the Imperial Guard in a strong-point game (2000+) can be frustating as best, and death-defying at worst, considering the little buggers can field a lot of heavy weapons and big shooty guns. Worse of it all, they don't generally move that much, so they can get potshots out pretty often.

What Guard lines fear is melee, truth be told a few lasgun bayonets don't cut it against chainswords. Raptors and Zerkers make for ideal terror squads in this case, although zerkers will have a harder time getting there on foot.

Guardsmen also rely on unity to make their battleplan work. Pulling out key squads out of formation with Lash of Submission can really bugger an IG player, since his firing line may be impeded by a subtle change of position. This can be used to move those pesky lascannons and autocannons away from your troops and block their line of sight, making them waste time moving and therefore hampering their firing capabilities.

Consider using blast weaponry against massed guardsmen squads. Dreads with plasma cannon, Obliterators, Noise Marines with blastmasters... all these can wreak havoc on tightly knitted guardsmen squads.

Another unit to watch for is the Veteran Squad. These buggers infiltrate and fire accurately, making them a Chaos player's nightmare when raining plasma and heavy dakka. Charging these boys and turning them into chainaxe fodder is one quick way to deal with them. Another way is to stand resolute with tough soldiers like 1k Sons, or mash away with spells like doombolt or wind of chaos.

All in all, Guardsmen rely on tight knit formations. Using disruption, area of effect, fear and monstrous melee (Daemon prince with warptime anyone?) tactics can really rain of their parade. Or you could soup-up a Khornate Chaos Lord with a jetpack and give him a khornate daemon weapon for some humie mashing, thats another way... With the potential of clearing a whole Infantry Squad per turn, this really does add to the gore.
    What do Khorne Berzerkers say to Necrons after chopping some of their bits off? "BLOOD FOR... Eh? Come on! You just take the fun out of it... Scream! Yell! Awww... not even a trace of guts..." *sniffles and kicks dirt*

"You can go far with a smile. You can go even further with a smile and a gun"

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Marrius View Post
    lack of mobility my ***! Chimera is used so much and people seem to use drop troops to a great extent so no they do not have a lack of mobility. Fragile infantry is not htat true. Were better than the Orks in armour.
    Compared to other races we're very immobile. No fast units, no turboboosts. I wouldn't count Drop Troops as mobility either, because once you land(Read: when you land, if you land and where you land) you'll be footslogging.

As for armour, I'd rather have the T4 6+ of an Ork than the T3 5+ of a guardsman.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast