effective forgeworld units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

effective forgeworld units

I have purchased a few forgeworld tank conversion kits and flyers based mainly on how cool they look. When I actually read the rules for them, they are not a great bargain for the points (ie hydra tanks, tarantula gun emplacements, etc). What forgeworld pieces do you feel ARE effective for the points?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

simply none forgeworld purposely overcharges with the prices of their units if you read imperial armor 1 it tells you(ex for the price of a baneblade you can have 4 russes and a rhino) but the death korps of kreig artilery where they take 3 basalisk taking 1 heavy support slot(so what if they cant move without a trojan) is pretty unfair-think of 9 basalisks that cannot move on your side of the board)
    Last edited by Dakka,Dakka,Dakka; August 20th, 2007 at 02:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Dakka,Dakka,Dakka View Post
    simply none forgeworld purposely overcharges with the prices of their units if you read imperial armor 1 it tells you(ex for the price of a baneblade you can have 4 russes and a rhino) but the death korps of kreig artilery where they take 3 basalisk taking 1 heavy support slot(so what if they cant move without a trojan) is pretty unfair-think of 9 basalisks that cannot move on your side of the board)
    What? I have Imperial Armour 5 in front of me and there is nothing about taking 3 basilisks or medusas for one heavy support choice. Each gun carriage takes up one slot. I think your confusing them with heavy mortars and thudd guns.

Medusas, Leman Russ Annihilators, and Thudd guns seem to be decent.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

I think the Leman Russ Exterminator is worth it. I have an Armoured Company, and it makes an excellent choice for command tank and tank ace.

I also played a friendly game with a friend, and I used three Marauder Destroyers. They were extremely effective, but they did cost almost as much as a normal army.

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

sry i think your right about it being thudd guns and heavy mortars but if i remember 3 heavy mortars are better than 1 griffon heavy mortar, all forgeworld tanks in the old guard codex(vanguisher, exterminator, etc dont count they are cost effective) duke 111 think about it you can have a armored company with more than 7 leman russes for the price of 3 marauder destroyers, yes i know it is really a fun idea to carpet bomb people but 7 russes or so(maybe less) does far more damage than 3 marauder destroyers, then considering you have 10 armor and in 3 turns of attack runs you're likely to lose 1 or 2 then your army+ 7 russes is far more effective. my point is they purposely overcharge because forgeworld is made to make 40k more fun, none of the models(except vanguisher, exterminator, etc) are cost effective a perfect example is the destroyer tank hunter for the price of 1 of them in points you can get a anti tank support squad with 3x lascannons, and a command squad/5 man vet squad with 2x melta guns and still have all 3 heavy support slots free to add leman russes, or whatever other tanks you want..........pure simple is other than flyers in mega-battles( i start game on left side of room and with my vulture and valkyrie carry out air strikes on the right side of the room...........room is 8 ft across by the way......................lol my opponent cries when his bloodthirster is killed when im on the other side of the room so he cant hurt me back >_<)

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by chrach
    I have purchased a few forgeworld tank conversion kits and flyers based mainly on how cool they look.
    That's the way to do it.
    I think less then half of the winning is actually about winning the game, you can score big time by having the finest models. Moral victory due to fantastic looking guns *sigh*
    I wish I had some FW-stuff...but all in good time I guess.

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

Exterminator, because the points cost comes from the old IG rules, and therefore aren't overprices.

Vanquisher, because sometimes you like S8 + 2d6 Penetration from far away...

Nothing else really. I really like the Executioner, but the points cost is so high that I can't help but feel foolish handicapping myself. For 3 of them I can get 3 leman russes plus a heavy weapons squad. The gun isn't even Higher Strength than usual plasma! It should have been either large blast or S10, darnit!
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

+ Reply to Thread