devastating arrangment... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

devastating arrangment...

i just got a devastator squad and was watching a frined play. his opponent had dark angels devastators (two lcs and two plasma cannons). i saw my friends monolith get owned with one shot of a plasma cannon and then his rhino and tac squad 'devastated' by the two plasma cannons.... i was wondering if this was a good compilation of heavy weapons for a devastator squad (two lcs and two plasma cannons)? i was also tinking of putting a heavy bolter in place of one lcs.... any ideas? im new to the game so anyting helps... also can you give assault squads true grit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

saw my friends monolith get owned with one shot of a plasma cannon
    Wait what? a plasma cannon cannot hurt a monolith.

Though I assume you mean lascannon judging by the next sentence.

------

As far as things go mixing weapons is a bad idea.

Dark angels and blood angels break this due to combat squads but ordinary vanilla space marines are best giving a squad al lthe same weapon.

There is a reason why the msot common devastator build is 8 men with 4 missile launchers - the most effective points for cost set up.

General rule is to not mix weapons with different ranges - if you want anti tank 2 missiles with 2 lascannon is expensive but can hurt anything.

If you want to take palsma cannon heavy bolters are its best companion, both excel at busting hordes and the palsma doubles up as a terminator killer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I havent spent a huge amount of time reviewing the DA codex but cant devestators be split into two now? In that case a mix of weaponery is more than practical in terms of 2 5 mans with 2 heavy weapons each. I know i loved the space wolves long fangs ability to split fire and this would be very similar. If you could have a tactical squad with 2 heavy weapons you would take it in a shot....or maybe thats just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x3)

I've used the 2 LC and 2 PC split dev squad several times and though its expensive i've had it pay off for me many a time. In general its a decent build.
    Peace
    Nevermore Chapter: 6200 pts; 97/49/11; Longest Streak: 9 Wins/4 Losses; Nearing Completion

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

Personally I use a 2 LCs 2 MLs configuration, as I use my Devastators mainly for Armour hunting. I know 4 MLs is more effective, blah blah, but I think 4 of the same weapon looks boring, and I like Lascannons as they go "FREEEM" and scratch the places other heavy weapons can't reach!

I had considered making my 2nd Company's other Devastator squad anti-infantry, but then I thought "Wait, I have bolters..." and decided to take more lascannons.

If they redo the codex and we get combat squads back I'll start using a mix again so that I can squeeze more value out of the FOC, but until then I'm sticking with the best S/AP I can get so I can kill Anything Big(TM) with them - so my other squad will have 2 LC 2 ML as well.

IMO Heavy Bolters are for Tactical squads and Scout Snipers, Multi-Meltas are for vehicles (or trait armies) and, (again in my opinion) Plasma Cannons are a bit pointless. This is due to the fact there are very few people I know stupid enough to let you get more than "one and a partial" hits out of the crappy small blast marker (I miss the 2" blast, that actually did something worthwhile) - the same reason I've fired all of 1 frag missiles in the last 2 years!

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by wyrdone View Post
    I havent spent a huge amount of time reviewing the DA codex but cant devestators be split into two now? In that case a mix of weaponery is more than practical in terms of 2 5 mans with 2 heavy weapons each. I know i loved the space wolves long fangs ability to split fire and this would be very similar. If you could have a tactical squad with 2 heavy weapons you would take it in a shot....or maybe thats just me.
    BA and DA have "combat squads".

Problem with long fangs is they have no bodies ot soak up damage.

Tactical squads can still only get 1 heavy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Back when template weapons were more handy (because they were placed to cover as many models as possible, vice being centered on a model), I really liked my 2ML, LC, PC configuration because I could kill just about anything in one round of shooting, be it tanks, heavy infantry, light infantry, or light vehicle squadrons.

With combat squads and the lack of heavy weapons generally available among the troops, I'd be inclined to go with lascannons in the dev squad and leave anti-troop duty to the tacticals. But I do like ML's for their flexibility and HB's because they look buff and can lay out some serious whoop-ass on anything not MEQ.
    4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

+ Reply to Thread