Dark Angels Deathwing - New Player seeking advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Angels Deathwing - New Player seeking advice

Greetings all,

New to the forums and pretty new to the Warhammer 40k Universe. The last time I played was 14 years ago and have always had the urge to start back up again. I like expensive armies and enjoy taking risks and most of all just having fun. I recently started looking into a Terminator Deathwing army and was wondering if any one could suggest a good army list. I plan on purchasing the codex this week so I'm more concerned about general info. I guess an 1850-2000pt army would be a great place to start.

Actually I guess this doesn't have to be just a Deathwing army, but perhaps an Ultramarine Terminator army w/ Calgar at the lead? IS this possible?

This is what I have in mind based on a few things I have read:

Deathwing 1st Company

Librarian and a 4 terminator retinue (2 Assault canons, 1 Chain fist, 1 Lightning claw)
    6 Terminator (2 Assault canons, 1 Chain fist)
    6 Terminators (2 Heavy flamers, 1 Chain fist, 1 Lightning claw)
    5 Terminators (2 Cyclone launchers)
    Dreadnought (Twin las canon, Missile launcher)
    Dreadnought (Assault canon, Heavy flamer, Dreadnought CCW)

Thanks in advance for the help!

P.S. I've also thought of starting a Nidzilla army, but I'll ask that question in the Tyranid froums

Last edited by TheCiscoKid; August 21st, 2007 at 20:58.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigh, I hate to be the bearer of bad news.....but Deathwing can no longer carry 2 heavy weapons per squad. Even worse, you are limited to 5 man squads (which makes VP harder to retain).

Of course, you could go vanilla marines, take 2 bare-bones scout squads as troops and load out on Elites and HQ retinues and have 2 per squad....but honestly this is the direction marines are moving in.

Therefore, when SM Redux rolls around...you've got alot of extra heavy weapon- armed termies around that can't be used unless you expand your army to 3000 points or whatever the next level is for you.

You'll find out more when you buy the DA dex. They haven't become awful, they've gained some things too. They've just changed......alot.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

If you were to start a Deathwing army, then you should go pick up a Dark Angels codex. Alot has changed in the new edition, changes that greatly affect old Deathwing Armies.

The problem I forsee with Pure Deathwing Armies is that they somewhat rely on the Deepstrike to be effective. Any bad scatters will negate the effectiveness of squads.

I'd consider a Doublewing Army (Raven/Death). This way, you add tougher models, the bikes, good anti tank ( Attack Bikes) and the Landspeeders (always good.) The Teleport homers also make good for the termies.

Welcome back to the game, friend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

Have you ever considered using Land Raiders in your Deathwing Army? I know, it's heresy to suggest a vehicle that is so expensive, easy to destroy, and doesn't add much to your army in terms of utility, but the way I see it, Land Raiders become pretty much untouchable when you deny the enemy the chance to shoot at them with S8+ weapons, not to mention it's fluffy and your Terminators will be able to charge down the ramps once you've sufficiently whittled down the opposition. After that, they're free to drive off and hold the objectives. Now, I wouldn't recommend using 2 or 3 Land Raiders in an army that's going to be expensive as it is, not even to myself, but I'm just throwing it out there as a suggestion. I've seen skilled players pull it off before, amidst various cries of cheese

Senior Member Grand Master Belial's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

The other thing I noticed off the bat is that You'll need the GMotDW (Belial) in order to field more than three DW Squads. The Libby alone won't cut it in the new DA rules. Though if you go the DoubleWing route you'll have to lose either Dreads or Squads since both are Elites.

+ Reply to Thread