First Game - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Game

Hey everyone, today my brother, his friend and I went to our local hobby shop, on our way there we were intent on getting a 'Fex and some 'Crons for a new army. However we happened to look on the back of a BoM box set. Seeing how much it held and for a measily $45 we instantly bought it (along with some 'Crons) about this point I am hyper-ventilaring because there is a rulebook (albiet miniature one) in it and we can play a game!

We got it home, and me, being the curious modeller did the 'Nids instead of the marines first (heresy I know) so when we had all the models put together (unfortunatly not painted) we instantly got into the first mission.

I totally dominated my brother with Lt.Varras and his uber-amazing lookling bolt pistol (he got me with a mine at the end though). About this time we decided that mines are the most usefull unit. Next we skipped the 2nd mission (I get marines and he gets more mines?!?) and went to the third where he gets genestealers.

I (again) dominate him as I fend off his genestealers and after I defuse the generator, we go on, with his genestealers managing to break through the force field and being totally destroyed by my marines.

After that my bro is aching to use every one of his chitinous bugs and we go on an all out war, a squad of marines (and Varras) against 6 genestealers, 9 mines, and 10 or so Termigaunts. As usual I completely mop him up using my missle launcher to annihilate packs of gaunts before they get a chance to shoot and mowing down the genestealers like some quickly grown crab grass.

So he is p'ed off at 'Nids so we switch. I rush him like heck and what didja know? I am annihilated, I believe from this that marines rock and 'Nids are really bad.

Any one else totally annihilate their opponent like this?

http://brunsvillegame.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    Rep people if they help you!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

You're serious? This must be a joke. I have seen some of your models. I have seen your titan legs. You don't have conversions and modeling projects without ever having a game.

So either you are serious but it's ok because you're into the building part of this hobby, or you just made a joke thread.

Or are you reffering to this as your first SM game because you were something else?

I'm not being mean, I really want to know
    Last edited by Jaffar_Hasad; August 26th, 2007 at 06:53. Reason: Softened the blow a bit
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Nugz View Post
    I rush him like heck and what didja know? I am annihilated, I believe from this that marines rock and 'Nids are really bad.
    Looking over the models in BoM, I'm not surprised marines won every time; 10 guants and 6 genestealers charging 11 marines with bolters are not good odds.

And yes, annihilating people is fun (not always though).

Anyway, welcome to the hobby.
    Black Templar (3000)
    Imperial Guard (1500 and growing)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

hes been in the hobby for awhile havent you
    but anyway ive seen my black templars be annihilated a full 10 man squad by 8 stealers
    so it is fair
    Miss Spam Master 2009
    The Briny Series: Urban War Beginnings | Cygnar
    Thrallstudios

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

I see guys who only join to model and paint. My friend's one of them. Since I'm a horrible painter and only play the game for the gaming side, I give him the models and he paints them up in his free time.

But otherwise...

The Battle for Macragge set is kinda geared heavily towards the Marines. The odds are skewed - the Nids all have a 5+ save which is conveniently ignored by bolters and most of the scenarios work out in the Ultramarine's favour. If he had just one Carnifex, the entire game would have turned out differently.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not a joke thread lol. Before now my brother, his friend, and I were only modellers because, and don't get insulted with me on this, they thought that the gaming aspect was too nerdy for them.

Jaffar, thanks, at first reading your post I thought you were either insulting me or praising me, so I think you are praising me. If not can you phrase it in English, I have read it several times over and it still hurtses my brain.

Yes this is my first game ever if my brother liked the games we played then we might get a SM codex and build an actual legal army. Then again considering how much altering he has done to our current models (like take the power fist off my precious vet. assault marine [not sargeant]) it seems like we might be getting into more gaming.
    http://brunsvillegame.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html
    PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    Rep people if they help you!!!

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Upgrade the armor on the genestealers, they should easily make it into close combat. where the marines will be absolutely dominated.

Proxy some models, TMC are typically a steal for what they do. Specially the shooty versions.

Nids are numbers as well. A normal nids list will out number marines 3 to 1, and its possible to get 4 to 1.

Play real war hammer before you start making assumptions about marines being far better the nids, nids tend to task well against most marine lists.

peace
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I play nids, and 10 gaunts won't do much against save 3 marines... but 6 stealers should tear them to pieces in CC. Sooo the problem is that they're being blown to bits before they make it into CC, which tells me that they don't have the extended caparace (or however the save biomorph is called in english) upgrade.

10 marines + 1 sergeant + 1 missile launcher should amount around 180-195 points (I don't have my codex with me atm)

10 termagaunts + 6 stealers (without upgrades) should be 156 points that's a 20% point difference in favour of the marines.

Despite the fact that they are too few nids for my tastes, put the EC upgrade in the stealers and they get to 180 points, much fairer that way, and with scything talons they add up to 204, which may be all right depending on the marine costs (the previous figure was an approximation so...).

With judicious use of cover they should be able to cut the marines down (barring very unlucky rolling by the tyranid player).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

The points values of the models (as played) comes out to 166 on each side, not including Varras. So the points values are even, but the problem is that the nids units don't really balance each other, and they almost never come on all together, which means in the scenarios that they can get taken apart peicemeal.

I agree that simply giving the genestealers a 4+ save would even the game quite a bit. Also, I can't remember if in the BFM simple rules whether or not the Genestealers get the "rending" ability or not...

Anyway, try that for a rematch or two and see what happens.

If not, go to the BFM website and try some of the scenarios that introduce altenative units like Tyranid Warriors or a SM assault squad.

Fun fun fun--small battles can be real nail biters. I love that suspense!
    4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, the marines are cheaper than I remembered ^^;

Anyway, if every marine shot denies the nids saves and there's not a lot of cover in the map, the BFM spells bolter death...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast