Does the Mortar need an Update - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Mortar update

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fine as it is

14 26.42%
  • Str 5 - ap 5

19 35.85%
  • Str 4 - ap 4

5 9.43%
  • Str 5 - ap 6

15 28.30%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the Mortar need an Update

It has come to my attention that the mortar may be underpowered. as people say its only practical uses are against other horde armies or armys with low saves. so the question is does the mortar need a slight buff

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I voted for S5 AP6, since a mortar would (IMHO) have quite some impact but not to the point where it goes through the armour of the 41st century.
    S5 doesn't make it an überkiller but still indicates there is a reason for you to keep your head down while the shells are raining down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

I'd say it's fine as is, the real problem is three-fold.

1) The prevalence of MEQ armies in most gaming circles.
    2) The fact that many gamers still dont use suggested levels of terrain (terrain in which the Mortar excels due to lack of LoS).
    3) The stigma that Mortar's are not a good weapon (generally as a result of 1 & 2).

Mortars are an excellent weapon IMHO when used in Heavy Weapons Squads when terrain covers the suggest 25% of the board especially against GEQ's but to some extent even against MEQ's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

I voted Str 5 Ap 5
    A Mortar is a bomb... a heavy bolter is a anti personnel machine gun
    Why is my anti personnel machine gun stronger then a bomb?

Str 5 ap 5 giive enough bite to make mortar useful against meqs but stil not 2 powerful vs horde armys cus lets face it if the opponet does a good job spacing his sqaud out... you will only hit 1-3 troops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Yup....they sure do.........

Yeah mortars are terrible

I only see one old IG player who uses them in my club. He told me its because it reminds him of his time in the army. In the 70's..... Yeah.... Mortars are overpriced and don't get the job done. The only time I saw them useful was against grots. I think five or six got killed. The orcs just used the shrapnel to pick the grots out of their teeth.

In fact the rules for mortars need an update more than the rules for ogryns...

I would love to see mortars in an IG army. Its just that they don't do much. They are not even a situational weapon.

If anybody disagrees then I would like to hear your tactics and your experiences.... I doubt I will change my mind.

However... I would like to later start a thread for IG units, equipment, and weapons that need some serious work and those that only need tweaking.

Pinoy
    Last edited by Pinoy; August 27th, 2007 at 07:56.

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Can't but agree with Gravis here. Mortars are fine, especially on command squads geared to provide leadership for your line squads. Give them a mortar and see them fire away from out of line of sight while still keeping your men in line.

You may think mortars suck, but every jump shoot jump tau battlesuit that go down to one will make you rethink just that.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They work well in city fight when terrain is the main feature of play. That said they are little more than lasguns that can fire through terrain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperialis_Dominatus View Post
    Clear rules, from GW? Never.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

It'd be nice to see a bump in strength. I voted str 5 ap 6. However I think that the price increase from a bump like that might not make them worth it. Most of the point cost in a mortar (I assume) come from two basic advantages over a similarly profiled weapon, the missile launcher. The first is the ability to fire from behind cover, an advantage that is usually not that great since most boards don't have enough terrain as was stated earlier. The second is that mortars cause pinning. Now if you gave the frag missile a boost like that, it would probably cost quite a bit more don't you think?
    Last edited by SimulatedSnowman; August 27th, 2007 at 18:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love mortars, use them like crazy at games....people should know all of this.

I would like to see that mortar teams get shell options like the griffon used to have. Normal shells and the bunker buster but on mortars maybe the frag at 2 inch template and a plasma charge at a 1 inch template.

Mortars should be able to take out a light armor (AV 10 or 11) but it can only glance on an AV 10 right now.
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

Hellhounds are good tanks Dakka,Dakka,Dakka's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x2)

str 5 ap 5 because i can see a mortar shread a guardsmen's armor to bits but not that of tau and strength 5 is realistic(mortars can destroy vehicles in real life..........if you can hit one!!!!)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast