Librarium Online Forums banner

Need assistance with my DA

548 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Norngahl 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I am new to the hobby, and I've chosen to go with Dark Angels as my army, not in small part due to my love of terminators. I would, however, like to get some input from long time players on the feasability of some army variants:

Everything looks good on paper, but: How does a deathwing army do? and ravenwing? vs a more standard 3rd company one?

Anyone have a good example of a doublewing army for ~1k points?

I appreciate the input, and if it matters, i'll be playing against: nids, necrons, tau, IG, chaos, sisters, and an orc here or there.

thanks in advance.

Mastrus

#2 ·
Quite the hefty request, man. Let's see.

Deathwing Armies tend to be lacking in numbers. If played incorrectly, they tend to get swamped by massed firepower (such as Imperial Guard) or massed bodies (Tyranids). They're a largely tactical force, and require a bit of finesse to pull off.

Ravenwing tends to be in the same boat as the Deathwing, low numbers of expensive models. I'm not trying to dissuade you from using either wing, but they're not really for beginners.

I suggest a Doublewing army, their special rules work so well together that it can be made into a surgical strike force with some relative ease. Using the bikes to hone in the Terminators where you like is invaluable, especially with the massed numbers armies, where one bad scatter means Dead Terminators.

The best approach to an 1000pt Doublewing army would be to include at least two squads of Terminators and one or two bike squads, plus the HQs and extraneous bits. I can get back to you with an 1000pt list later on.

Battle Company, plays altogether differently. They're a very tactical force, needing a subtle hand to play effectively. While not necessary, the Combat Squads rule really aids you in this facet, as the added numbers of targets makes the work on your opponent that much more difficult.

That's a real cut and dry rundown of the various facets of the Dark Angels. Let me know if you have any further questions.

#3 ·
I am new to the hobby, and I've chosen to go with Dark Angels as my army, not in small part due to my love of terminators.
Yeah, best things in WH40k, DA & Termies, like "peas & carrots", mwahahaha!

Anywho, I've tried a Deathwing Infantry Army, and it COULD work, although that's mainly previous edition, i.e. variable squad sizes, cheaper DW commander etc. But it can still work this Ed if you can find a way to fill up the extra 100-200 points typically left over.

I've tried everything from scout squads to a couple o' Dreadz (not really infantry, but still walking) to a veteran squad, even tried a Grey Knight Terminator (more Termies!) squad, n finally decided on that. However, I've REALLY tinkered with the list, and found out that you can actually play a 1850 (exactly) game without having a 100-200 point gap left over. :)

But yeah, although I'm not a fan of bikes, Raven-Death is a relatively strong and viable option now, given that only RW bikes can have the Teleport Homers required for a "Deathwing Assault".

#4 ·
Hi! My personal 1000Point list considers Belial with TH/SS and 5 Assault Termis (5 LCs) and the deathwing standart, 2x 6men bike squad with 2 melters, powerfist and sammael. I know that this contains the risk to get shot to pieces, but you just have to be a bit clever an know how to use your small force. if used correctly, this is devasting. Bikes are in CC in your first round (think of splittin them in 4x 3 bikes, so the enemy has to wipe out 4 squads of bikes, and if he shoots on a single leftover bike he wastes firepower, so that still a few bikes arrive if you lost the throw for the first turn), pin the enemy forces so that belial witgh deathwing can join next turn, and through the CC with the bike your Termis are saved from the enemy firepower. Sammael can kill some termis/etc. with his plasmacannon and join close combat as well. In my opionion quite a nice army, but for a beginner maybe a bit hard to go with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.