Question for experienced players - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for experienced players

im building an army that revolves around a defensive line. large troop section, no elites, ext
    so my question is what do u think will be more effective. 3 basilisks or 2 basilisks with 2 mortar squads.

would two mortar barrages be more useful then an extra earth shaker round or should i keep it a three basilisk set

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Sometimes it is good to break it up a little. Especially if you plan on hiding those basilisks, as that minimum indirect firing range will get to be a bit of a problem, and it is something the mortars can help make up for.

How big a game do you think you will be fielding these things in? And how big a board?
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Well you could do both if you wanted. 3 Basilisks seems a little bit excessive, even though the points cost is pretty good. You could always drop a mortar squad or two in your command squad and take three basilisks, or take your mortar squads, 2 basilisks and a leman russ/leman russ demolisher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by SimulatedSnowman View Post
    take your mortar squads, 2 basilisks and a leman russ/leman russ demolisher.
    This is the approach I like. I put a Bassie in each board corner, that way I should be able to hit anything on the table with Indirect fire. The Russ goes in front of one of the Bassies if there isn't adequate cover.

I also find with the "Dualing Bassie" tactic, I don't need Mortars, because it forces the enemy to come and get me, drawing him right into my firing lanes. I would much prefer triple Lascannons or triple Heavy Bolter squads to the Mortars.

Cheers, DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

3 Basilisks is overkill. Like the guys said, a demolisher or regular russ would make the cut instead.

I'm not a huge fan or morter squads only because missle launchers can do the same and more for only 5 points extra. (Unless you feel that line of sight will be a real issue, a la cities of death)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=103222 (Score another for IG at Onslaught)
    check that. that is heavy weapon fortress guard

mortars are good against anything toughness 4 and under. mortars get mixed reviews but i find they rock. 2 bassies is a really good idea since you can lsoe one and still have one shooting. and a good thing to remember is you do not lose direct fire option if you buy indirect fire for bassie.

i don't think i would ever go 3 bassies in tournament play unless i had big infantry platoons. 2 is the magic number for me.

in my tourny list i have 2 mortar support squads, 2 bassies, 1 mortar in the hq command squad.
    Imperial Guard Variants 69/20/9
    Space Wolves 17/16/2
    I.G. Armoured Company 7/3/2
    Deamonhunters 1/2/1
    I.G. BFG 0/1/2

+ Reply to Thread