What should I purchase tonight? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    542 (x8)

What should I purchase tonight?

So tonight I'm going to buy a tank when I go out to play my league games. After thinking about it, I would like to get:

a. A Predator
    b. A Vindicator, or
    c. A second Whirlwind

I use the See, But Don't Be Seen Trait, so my Tactical and Devastator Squads have Infiltrate. I have the disadvantage that makes land speeders and bikes a 0-1. I'm not a big bike or speeder fan.

Here is what I currently have:
    30 Tactical Marines
    10 Scouts /w Sniper Rifles
    1 Chaplain
    1 Jump Pack Chaplain
    1 Commander
    15 Devastators (4 Lascannon, 4 Plasma Cannon)
    2 Dreadnoughts
    1 Venerable Dreadnought
    10 Terminators
    10 Assault Terminators
    30 Assault Marines
    1 Land Raider Crusader
    1 Whirlwind
    3 Drop Pods

What do you think I should pick up?

Tekore

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a sexond whirlwind because if you can use two, you will have an effective base of fire. Load them out with castellans and they will cause havoc with enemy movement lanes. So you can make the enemy move where you want.
    Evil Overlord Rule Number 196.

I will hire an expert marksman to stand by the entrance to my fortress. His job will be to shoot anyone who rides up to challenge me.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Tekore View Post
    So tonight I'm going to buy a tank when I go out to play my league games. After thinking about it, I would like to get:

a. A Predator
    b. A Vindicator, or
    c. A second Whirlwind

I use the See, But Don't Be Seen Trait, so my Tactical and Devastator Squads have Infiltrate. I have the disadvantage that makes land speeders and bikes a 0-1. I'm not a big bike or speeder fan.

Here is what I currently have:
    30 Tactical Marines
    10 Scouts /w Sniper Rifles
    1 Chaplain
    1 Jump Pack Chaplain
    1 Commander
    15 Devastators (4 Lascannon, 4 Plasma Cannon)
    2 Dreadnoughts
    1 Venerable Dreadnought
    10 Terminators
    10 Assault Terminators
    30 Assault Marines
    1 Land Raider Crusader
    1 Whirlwind
    3 Drop Pods

What do you think I should pick up?

Tekore
    Well, since you're using the See, But Don't Be Seen Trait, I'd like to think that you imagine your army as somewhat stealthy, a force that attacks where the enemy is weakest, and does their best to hit so hard in one place that the enemy army can't recover in time to do your forces any real harm.

If that's indeed the case, I'd go with a second Whirlwind. My reasons are as follows:

- Firstly, Whirlwinds function best when used in pairs (as one can easily miss, or you may just roll poorly). Obviously, Whirlwinds aren't usually seen as the best choice against infantry with 3+ or better saves, so dropping two templates on a single unit at a time will increase your chances of causing damage.

- With a pair of Whirlwinds, it'll be child's play for you to dictate your opponent's movement some with the use of mines. With double the number of minefields on the table, I'd think you'd have nearly double the chance of inflicting some real harm.

- Whirlwinds tend to fit your army's theme in my eyes. Since your army does a lot of 'striking from the shadows' or just generally staying beyond the enemy's reach, weapons that allow you to engage your enemy without having to expose yourself would probably be useful.

- Finally, Whirlwinds are the cheapest tanks available (in points) to a Space Marine army, not counting transports.

Hope that helps,

Katie D
    Last edited by Katie Drake; September 11th, 2007 at 17:57.

+ Reply to Thread