Thinking of Doctrines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Thinking of Doctrines

Hi all,

As the time for me to expand my army is rapidly approaching, and now that I'm getting a couple of games under my belt, I am starting to look at doctrines.
    Now I've settled on the following:
    Iron Discipline
    Drop Troops
    Storm Troopers
    Sharp Shooters

But I am still having trouble deciding between:
    Heavy Weapons Platoons
    Light Infantry
    Grenadiers

I'm leaning towards light infantry, but the main question I have is has anyone combined the Light Infantry doctrine with the Drop Troops doctrine and to what effect?
    My, somwhat rudimentary, plan is this: Set up enough squads to picket my deployment zone/areas in which I want to deploy; Infiltrate a couple of units after my oponent has deployed; Deepstrike a couple of squads (i.e. a platoon and stormies/vets) later in the game.
    The biggest drawback I can see is that my army will be deployed piecemeal and thus, quite possibly destroyed with relative ease.
    What do you all think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about you drop the Sharp shooters and use cameoline and take light infantry, Ifiltrate into cover with light infantry and place them in close oder. hole the lines until your deepstrikers come in a Junior officer with 4 meltaguns will make short work of tanks
    I can be 2 things at once.
    Gods gift to the world, and his biggest mistake

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch Thomo View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm leaning towards light infantry, but the main question I have is has anyone combined the Light Infantry doctrine with the Drop Troops doctrine and to what effect?
    I use that combination on a regular basis as I don't have another doctrine I need, so drop troops gets slotted in. I don't usually make use of it, but sometimes when the situation is right I'll drop a unit in.

My, somwhat rudimentary, plan is this: Set up enough squads to picket my deployment zone/areas in which I want to deploy; Infiltrate a couple of units after my oponent has deployed;
    That's pretty much what I do with my Light Infantry. I only give Light Infantry to units carrying Lascannons, as they have very specific low density targets. This way they can usually find the optimal firing lane to be situated in.

Deepstrike a couple of squads (i.e. a platoon and stormies/vets) later in the game.
    The biggest drawback I can see is that my army will be deployed piecemeal and thus, quite possibly destroyed with relative ease.
    What do you all think?
    Remember, in the majority of cases a couple of units deepstriking in is just going to be suicide, not that that's a bad thing. For them offense is the best form of defense, so Hardened vets are always superior to stormies as they get an extra special weapon. Now if you were dropping a couple of platoons in, then it might be a different story. Generally, if the doctrines are permitting then Stormies get outperformed in every area of the deal. Vets perform as a better Firebase and suicide team, Grenediers and Inquisitorial Stormies are troops so they do the perform the Super Armoured Fist role better as they don't fight for elite slots (and in the case of Inquisitorial Stormies, they don't fight for doctrine slots either. No reason you can't take them and just call them Grenediers or something).

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

the doctrines you give us to choose from arent my favorites but I think heavy weapons platoon would be a nice thing to have with drop troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The four doctrines you picked up and grenadiers are what I generally run, and drop troops only end up in there because like Triumph of Man pointed out, I generally don't need a fifth, so that is an easy one to pick up. On occasion I will DS a squadron of 2xLC 1xAC equipped senitnels behind enemy lines to get all kinds of nice rear armor shots and to trample HW teams (big risk for decent pay off when I get bored).

Anyway, don't bother w/ HW platoons since you can get support squads attatched to your HQ, and the base four doctrines you picked don't accent light infantry very well. In that case you are looking at cameoline, ID, Sharpshooters perhaps, and maybe Hardened vets.

The only things that you would want to DS to play it safe are suicide squads (like JO squads w/ 4xplasma or melta) , because like you said, if you DS alot of your army, then it could come in piecemeal, and can be taken apart as such.

Good luck.
    Battlesuits, putting the BS in BullS*%t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x4)

Thanks for the comments guys.
    Emperors Champion - Sharp shooters is there to stay, I roll an obscene amount of 1's to hit with crucial weapons like lascannons etc. The re-roll is handy. That and the only squads getting it are generally support squads for my HQ.
    As for the others, yeah I know that vets are more versatile than Stormies, but I still think stormies are cool, and I do have something in mind for them, so they are there to stay as well (although in smaller games I daresay this will get jigged around a bit)
    I think I will go with Light infantry, but if for some reason I decide not to use the stormies, I'll probably take grenadiers.
    Thanks for the help with this one, comments were greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if I can help persuade you, but I'd ditch Sharp Shooters too. I've used it, and for the points you spend on it, I always felt there was something else better that could be bought. Like a Powerfist or two, or a better Counter-charge command unit etc.

Iron Discipline is an amazing doctrine, and Light Infantry definately useful for eliminating those wasted turns getting in the right position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

178 (x7)

Sharpshooters is only worth it on HW squads IMO.

One thing that we need to remember, is that most Doctrines take up points and before we realize it we have a 9pt guardsman;o. The best Doctrines are the ones that don't add any or few points, ID, COD, Drop Troopers, Grenadiers, and Veterans.

Light infantry is good only on specific squads for a specific purpose. The reality of most games is that you only have a couple spots worth infiltrating to. This is where I have to plug the Veterans Doctrine. Better BS, More Special weapons, can take other Doctrines (Drop Troops:ballon, and they infiltrate for free! Want a Lascannon infiltrating to a good line of fire? Want three crack shots dropping next to a tank with Melta guns? The boys the are the cats ass when it comes to a unit, and all for two points more than a regular guardsman.

IMO, any competitive IG play should take the Veterans Doctrine at 1500pts or more.

My two bits......
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Master of Those Damn Durable Swords Roland Durendal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

In response to your question, yeah I run a hybrid drop troop list that uses LI combined with DT. The big 3 doctrines that make that list viable are DT, LI, and Vets.

Basically in the list I have around 7 units that use DT to hit the enemy rear and flanks (usually 2 tooled out Vet squads w/ shotguns, 3 tooled out Command squads, and 2 suicide special weapon squads w/ demo charges).

I also run around 5-6 units that infiltrate in normally. The only thing in the list that starts off on the board is my bassie. Everything else comes on after set up (via infil or ds)

It's a solid combo b/c it allows you pick and choose good cover/concealment and firing lanes. That way your opponent is now already forced to react on your terms. This usually causes him to bunch up his units to avoid firing lines or to spread them out to avoid firing lines. Either way works for your advantage b/c if he bunches up, then the DS units can concentrate all their firepower on a smaller target. If he spreads them out, then the DS units can pick off lone units.

Another benefit is if you can't DS b/c of mission rules, you can still infiltrate your whole army.
    If you win games against Nids with flamers (aside from the Inferno Cannon on a Hellhound), you're playing against opponents with stupidity of impressive magnitude.

~ Sokhar

+ Reply to Thread