1000pts game...help? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pts game...help?

I've got a 1000pts game coming up with my IG against Space Wolves.
    I'm still not quite used to playing with my IG and have actually lost every game i've played with them so far.
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what units i should take when up against Space Wolves or SM's in general.
    Or even if not specific units what types I should be going for.

Cheers

x-fulgrim-x

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lacannos, Leman Russes, etc. Anything with big AP.
    Chuck Norris wouldn't stand a chance against Tana Umaga.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the look on a space marine players face when you take out an entire squad with a single battle cannon shot is priceless

is it worth power fisting/weaponing up my officers? orwould the points be better spent on more high AP guns?
    also i have a bit of an obsession with snipers, but imo they'd be pretty useless.

any opinions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, its not a great idea to get into CC with a SM army, especially not space wolf. but the odd power fist here and there would make him think twice about assaulting your squads. the best idea would probably be just to create a big gun line, but watch out for wolf scouts who can appear in your own deployment zone...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    339 (x8)

Heavy Bolters. You can't beat their armour very often so don't try - just get enough shots in that they fail saves.

Plasma Guns - risky, but against marines they can turn the tide if you are lucky. And if the gunner dies... plenty more where he came from, right?

As has been noted, Battle Cannons. AP3 will have him tearing his hair out.

Demolishers are a bit pointless unless he's using wolf guard so I'd stick with the range if I was you.

If it looks like you are going to get charged, move your infantry forward to meet the charge - they may die, but they probably would anyway, and the more distance you can get between them and you the better - hopefully you can shoot them again and you need to avoid the nightmare "consolidation chain attack"!

Don't waste points on stuff that won't help - frag grenades, CC upgrades and so on. Lasguns. Many lasguns and heavy weapons.

Those are my tips as a SM and IG player anway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say bring template weapons.

I agree about the HB's and forcing him to make saves, but with the template weapons, you have a better chance at obliterating larger numbers of marines.

I can't think of anything more embarrassing than firing your bolters and having your opponent save them, then have his surviving marines bum-rush your squads in cc.

I'd say have a static line of lasguns, bring the lascannons, and take a Bassie and a Russ and pray to the dice gods for good rolls.

Mortars might be good here. Cheap and could force pinning, which could buy you time to get some templates on them before they engage you in cc.

Don't underestimate ACs. They are by far my most favorite heavy choice. They give you 2 decent AP shots - better than HB's in my opinion as you might actually pop open a meq with aN AC shot.

Las cannons are a great choice if he decides to bring a dreadnaught or exterminator.

Remember that the las cannon has great AP, but it's still only the one shot. That's why I like templates against marines. You are forcing more higher AP rolls versus the HB's.

If all else fails...RUN AWAY!!!!!!

gl

j.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

I'd have to jump on the bandwagon and say Lascannons/ H Bolters and Plas Guns. Ordnance tickles everyone too

One thing though, in my experiences (although larger games), is that they can take half decently large units and many individual peieces of armour. Having some form of speedbump or two (cheap guard units) to stop oncoming units at your gunline and sufficient units to deal with a few pieces of individual armour is key.

If he uses Pods, then you'll want to make sure your Ord has some form of LoS to your own units and the area surrounding, so if they do Pod in your face, you can splat them

If you can fit in enough men, then some Rough Riders will be in handy to help them dislodge a problem HTH.

Snipers I wouldn't advise, unless they are Kroot Mercs Headhunter Kindred, who are cheaper and better stat-wise than Ratlings- they also have funky rules, and can do something for your counter attack. Or, be cheeky and take both Rats and Mercs Overall, they don't really help the problem of Marine armour, and you'll be hard pressed to pin units as-is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by x-fulgrim-x View Post
    I've got a 1000pts game coming up with my IG against Space Wolves.
    I'm still not quite used to playing with my IG and have actually lost every game i've played with them so far.
    I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what units i should take when up against Space Wolves or SM's in general.
    Or even if not specific units what types I should be going for.

Cheers

x-fulgrim-x
    Before I make any comments about what you should/should not take against space wolves, I kinda need to know what i'm working with - the last thing you need is a bunch of advice involving miniatures you don't own.

Maybe you could give a rough outline of what you already have? Like

50 lasgun guardsmen
    5 lascannon teams etc...

And we could work better from there.

As for power weapons/power fists versus marines (or anyone at all!), I would not recommend it. The best I would say is a power weapon, my reasoning being that an officer is an independant character, meaning that in HTH they count as a seperate unit. Any marine touching the officer has to attack him, and any other marines within 2" of the first can also (assuming they are not also in btb with other guardsmen). The officer will most likely not survive long enough to use his powerfist/powerweapon.

Also, this means that if the officer is not in btb with any enemy models, he cannot attack in hth either.

So yeah, avoid powerfists for your officers. Commissars and vet squad sergeants are another matter altogether, however
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok what i'm thinking is (dont know point cost cause i left my stuff at work)

Command Platoon
    -Junior Ofiicer Power fist,
    medic
    plasma gun
    -and for story reasons an Iquisitor from Elites of codex daemonhunters( with that ordinance CC psychic power)
    i made this guy pretty hard and attactched him to my HQ so i can park them on the objective
    -mounted in chimera, multilaser, hull HB, pintle SB

special weapons squad
    -Flamer, meltagun, demo charge(cause theyre a laugh)

infantry platoon 1
    -CP-junior officer power sword
    -Squad 1 Lasconnon
    -Squad 2 Missile launcher

infantry platoon2
    -CP-junior officer Bolter
    -Squad 1 Heavy bolter
    -Squad 2 Lascannon

Leman Russ
    -Hull Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

this is about 1000pts, i may have missed of a bit of wargear, like vox's, but you get the jist
    this way i'm thinking that ive got enough fodder to soak up casualties but because my heavy weapons are spaced out he can't focas on one area to weaken me.

and cause of the scenario we've got i've had to use an inquisitor, but he gave me the oppertunity to make my command squad a bit tougher so i can try secure the objective early on.

any opinions would br greatly appriciated, cause as i said i'm still pretty new to using IG

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Well not knowing what you have I guess I have to give you a general advice. Keep your distance from them, use your armour to your advantage, consentrate your fire.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast