IST question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IST question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IST question

If a Stormtrooper is upgraded to veteran and you select a Thunderhammer and Storm Shield for him, would he lose his Hellgun? Can he still shoot in the shooting phase?

Thanks

Kipoy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Yes, he would lose his hellgun, because he would no longer have enough hands to wield it. As such you'd be better off just giving GKT's the free upgrade to those weapons rather then buying them for ISTs.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, he would lose his hellgun, because he would no longer have enough hands to wield it. As such you'd be better off just giving GKT's the free upgrade to those weapons rather then buying them for ISTs.

But if you look at the SM Codex, Ultramarine Honor Guards have a bolter (2 hands) and a power weapon (Axe of Ultramar) (1 hand). Likewise, not enough hands. But I would assume they would be shooting the bolter in the shooting phase and using the power weapon if they want to assault.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if you choose a weapon in the armory, does it necessarily replace your default weapons. There are some indications that they do not. So I was thinking IST veterans can shoot their hellguns in the shooting phase and if you have purchased as TH and SS for them, they can use those when they assault.

Just trying to clarify the exact rules.

Thanks for the response
    Be cool,
    Kipoyph
    "of all the things I've lost,
    it's my mind I miss the most"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Above the armoury, there is a small box, dictating what you may carry. How many of each type of weapon. Due to your choosing of the shield and hammer, you wouldn't be able to carry the hell gun.

To the best of my knowledge there is no rule that says he would lose his base weapon if he picked up another one. Unless the weapon that he is buying would naturally override his own, IE. He comes equipped with a ccw, and you give him a power weapon.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok...

So therefore, if he just gets a Thunder Hammer WITHOUT a Storm Shield, he can now be able to shoot AND assault when able.

Right?

Thanks
    Be cool,
    Kipoyph
    "of all the things I've lost,
    it's my mind I miss the most"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Yes, as you can have one one-handed weapon, and one two-handed.

But then he cannot shoot and assalt, couse the hellgun is a rapid fire weapon.
    It's better to take a hell pistol with TH. Then you could shoot with the pistol, and assault having 4 attack on the charge.
    "One must do violence to the object of one's desire; when it surrenders, the pleasure is greater."

Marquis De Sade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    135 (x4)

Yeah, the way things used to be, a model could have up to two weapons, one of which may be two-handed. The more recent codices have started breaking this rule, however (for instance, some Chaos Space Marines are now armed with a bolter, bolt pistol, and close combat weapon). Some codices actually state that a model may only have two weapons, however, so it's going to come down to what it says in each individual codex. If I recall correctly, ours is one that does limit you to two.

So like mika said, the best route is probably to give him a hellpistol and thunderhammer, if you're dead set on giving close combat gear to a human =).

Cheers,

-H
    Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    -George Orwell

www.drmcninja.com
    If you're intruiged by doctors who are also ninjas, then this is the webcomic for you!

The Voice of Reason RJSuperfreaky's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x3)

To reinforce what Hasten alluded to, why bother with a TH for a stormtrooper? The strength bonus isn't that great, and at his current WS, you only have at best a 50% chance of even hitting something. Seems like a waste of points on a small, one wound model that is often just a roadblock anyway. Why not give him a better gun or something instead, to take advantage of his SM-like BS?

Just a thought.
    Marion: You're not the man I knew ten years ago.
    Indiana: It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

For the last time, there are
    NO FEMALE SPACE MARINES!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread