Allies. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Allies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allies.

I always hear here and there that Imperial Guard can take Daemonhunter allies.

Where exactly are these located at? What exactly can we take? Is it worth it? Or is pure guard the way to go?

I'd really like to know. I'm not sure whats happening with my LGS. One day, we hosted a tournament and we did have a good amount of terrain for each tables. If we do end up using more terrain and more objectives I'd consider taking some Grey Knights or some hardcore CC unit to help take an objective.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Codex: Daemon Hunters you shall find all the answers to your questions.

Yes you can field IG with Grey Knights as allies utilizing the ally rules (must field basic / compulsory choices from parent list first and then can field 1 HQ, Elite, FA or Troops, but no Heavies...or something along those lines anyway).

Fielding Power Armored, Power Armored Fast Attack (Deep Striking), or Grey Knight Terminators definitly adds CC to an IG army, but be warned, the GK are expensive in dollars and points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GK allies

I play with a bunch of allies, and they usually do a lot of damage. Yes, they are mighty expensive, especially when you compare them to a single guardsman. They do have a fun psychological effect on your enemy as well, but you shouldn't rely on that since after they play you once that scary "oh crap a bunch of even more hardcore marines" wears off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some allies are worth it. I suggest that if you take allies thoughbe prepared they will be shot at and probably annhilated before they can help you thought they take away fire from your guard. I have used an inqusitor and assasin before it works pretty well.
    The most dangerous men in the world are the ones who have nothing to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can take allies, and it is a viable option, but it's probably better to stay away from them until you start hitting bigger battles.

One of the guard's, if not the greatest strength of the guard is numbers and the sheer amount of wounds we bring to the table. Taking allies would somewhat decrease the amount of models.

But really it comes down to personal preference. At the moment I'm edging close to 2500 points total, so that's where I can start experimenting.

If you're not sure then pick up the codex and have a flick through, if there's a unit you want to try then maybe proxy it and see how it runs.

In the end it's up to you.

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x6)

Assasins are always an aweosme option, though you have to take an inquisitor this opens up a powerful psyker option or even a tough CC unit, te alternate is Deamon osts, costly at **pts but well worht the fear factor in an IG army, just dont keep him to close to your men.
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Guard relies on numbers, I think that way too.

A Vindacre Assassin is the next model I was considering. The model looks cool and I remember people at my LGS mentioning how great they are.

Anyone know how practical they are our what exactly they do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To have any assassin in your army you must include an inquisitor which can be either an HQ unit or an Elite unit. The problem is that you are only allowed one Elite choice from the allied force and assassins are elite options. This limits you to having an Inquisitor Lord HQ unit which is relatively expensive on points but highly customizable. I think the bare minimum points required is 174 to have a Vindicare Assassin and the cheapest least functional Inquisitor Lord possible. This nets you an Inquisitor Lord with only a bolt pistol and the required retinue minimum of 3 familiars (cheapest option on points) and a Vindicare Assassin. I can get an iron fist squad or even a light infantry platoon for the same amount of points. Though Vindicare Assassins can do really neat things with their sniper rifle, they only get to take one shot a turn. The points sink seems a bit extreme to me.
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

Twin-Linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a great big guide written up by a couple of guys on LO called Lord Yossanrion and mEGALOMANIAC. It's right here:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=71909 (Member Created FAQ - Deamonhunters)

And should answer all your questions about what you can take. More details are, of course, in the Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters books.

Whether it's a good idea to take Allies is up to you. If you think your army could benefit from some power armor (Grey Knights and Sisters of Battle) kooky tactical abilities (Assassins), jump infantry (Seraphim), extra heavy/special weapon groups (shooty Inquisitors and retinues) or scary close combat units (CC Inquisitor builds and Grey Knights again), take a look at their books and see if anything appeals.

That, and the minis are just plain awesome looking. Grey Knight Terminators are truly impressive if you take your time painting them!
    "HQ, my LOS is blocked by a soda bottle. I'm moving to unmask my guns."
    "Negative! The soda bottle is the Carnifex!"
    "Dang proxy models!"
    -Cmdr. Kren, www.tsoalr.com

+ Reply to Thread