Librarium Online Forums banner

Help needed for 500 pt list

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Beardy_Wierdy 
#1 ·
I decided to get some Imperial Guard as a second army to fight my Chaos. Something roughly in the 500 pt range.
I just bought these 2 things:

Cadian Imperial Guard Battleforce
20 Cadian Shock Troops, 3 Cadian Heavy Weapon teams, 1 Imperial Guard Leman Russ Battle Tank.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99120105010&orignav=10

Cadian Imperial Guard HQ Command
Cadian Colonel, Vox Caster model, Regimental Standard bearer, 1 trooper armed with a meltagun, a Medic and a casualty model.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110105164&orignav=10

and this.. (I have no idea if they can fit in my army, I just think they look badass ^ ^)
Imperial Guard Cadian Snipers
2 Imperial Guard models armed with sniper rifles.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060105176&orignav=10

Some help would be greatly appreciated, expecting a complete army list would be a tall order, so any tips or comments are appreciated too.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
by 500pts do you still mean with 2 troops and one Hq choice. if so you may need to buy another imperial guard boxed set (20 guardsmen) and a chimera. although to be honest at the moment you don't have a legal army but you have more than 500 pts. and the snipers go in the special weapons teams that can be attatched to the senior/heroic senior officer. you need 3 snipers and 3 guardsmen for a sniper team

#4 ·
senior officer 55
power weapon 5
bolt pistol 1
meltagun 10
vox 5
veteran 6
Medic 5 87

special weapon squad 35
2 sniper rifles 20 55 142

Infantry PLatoon

command squad-
junior officer 40 40 182

squad 1 60
grenade launcher 8
vox 5
autocannon 15 88 270

squad 2 60
grenade launcher 8
vox 5 73 343

armoured fist squad 60
flamer 6
vox 5 71 414

chimera (for above) 70
multi laser (turret) 10
Heavy Bolter (hull) 5 85 499

quick list for you. for that you would have to get 5 19 more guardsmen and a chimera. couldnt make a legal army otherwise. i assume that you have the imperial guard codex?

#5 ·
I do have the codex, and thank you for your input.
The Leman Russ in my box set isn't included in that list, is it not viable for a 500 pt list? I guess at this point I'd like to spend as little as possible to make my army legal. 500 pts, 750 pts or 1000 pts would be my target. I made this topic right after I got home from games workshop, since then I've been reading through the codex. I was really hoping I had a legal army, I guess I should have done some research first, though it was an impulse purchase.

#6 ·
senior officer 55
power weapon 5
bolt pistol 1
meltagun 10
vox 5
veteran 6
Medic 5 87
I would advise just taking a junior officer here, and if you are worried about Ld, take a standard instead. Its more effective, and cheaper.

It is difficult to run a leman russ in a standard IG list (as in, using only standard infantry).

The minimum points you will have to spend, just on men, before any upgrades (such as heavy/special weapons) is 325 points. Thats for a junior officer, another junior officer with a platoon, and an armoured fist. You could always take a minimum conscript platoon or another minimalist platoon, but they would not really be worth it at this points level.

Then, if you do take a leman russ, you will have barely any points left over for upgrading your men.

I would advise running some grenadiers as your second troops choice. Check out the doctrines part of your codex!

With what you have, plus a little extra, you could run:

HQ: 66
Junior officer (powersword) - meltagun, standard, 2 normal grunts.

TROOPS (infantry platoon): 212
Junior officer, flamer.

Infantry squad, missile launcher/autocannon, grenade launcher

Infantry squad, missile launcher/autocannon, grenade launcher

TROOPS (grenadiers): 64

5 man grenadier squad, flamer, grenade launcher.

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Leman Russ, 3 heavy bolters.

This will all fit in a 500 point army list. Just. (497 points, actually). It does mean you are not using your snipers, or one of your heavy weapon teams. You also may need to somehow convert an extra heavy bolter for you leman russ, and buy some storm troopers and another, or possibly just an officer blister pack (not sure, didn't work out how many men you have).

Fitting a decent guard army into 500 points is very difficult, if you do not use grenadiers or other tricks like that. You could always not use the leman russ 'till 750 point matches, and you will have a little more flexibility. Either way, you still need to buy more stuff :(

400 point combat patrols are much easier!!! :)

#9 ·
Hey Neith,
Basically what it boils down to, is that Guard is exepensive to play in general, just because the units are so point-less... 20 infantry is like 80 to 100 points... and that's 35$. So, while yes it is hard for us students (assuming), guard is worth the money once you get a cool looking army, that's functional and fun. Just take it slow, you don't have to build the entire army now dude, and make sure you put in what you want. The cool thing about guard is, you can just use like blank bases for lasgun equipped infantry, until you get them all.... since they die so fast anyway :).

But yeah, the thing with the Leman Russ is, that's a lot of points in a 500 point game. You are talking around 150-160 for the tank, which is a third of your entire point value. Also, the other team will probably be underequipped to kill it, or way over eqiuped, and It won't be that fun to play with.

So, if I were to advise you, I would leave the russ out on your first 500 point list. But, I'm like you, and like all sorts of things with big guns, so I would field the tank anyway ;-).

Good Luck Mate.

#11 ·
#12 ·
I'm still a little foggy about what exactly constitutes a troop choice.
Is it an officer + 4 models representing his staff,
+ 2 platoons of 10 infantry each with a leader model?

If I bought these 2 things would it work?

2 random Cadian Lieutenant models
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060105166&orignav=10

20 Imperial Guard Cadian Shock Troop models
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99120105008&orignav=10

Yeah, a platoon is an officer+staff and 2 ten man squads.

So thats 50 men you need in 2 basic platoons

As such would need three boxes of men in order to run that.

Starting up guard is pretty hard (and by hard I mean expensive) if you adhere to the force organisation charts, so my advice is dont bother just yet, get a few friendly games under your belt and dont worry overmuch about being purely "legal".

THEN you can go to town on the other stuff.

Oh, and the basic guardsmen squads dont NEED a leader model (sergeant) but the model looks cool, you dont need to pay those six points to make him a veteran sgt though.

#13 ·
You can save yourself some money and use some of the parts on the tank sprue to make an officer. you may not be able to get a base but you probably will get extras if you buy any blister packs.

#14 ·
You can save yourself some money and use some of the parts on the tank sprue to make an officer. you may not be able to get a base but you probably will get extras if you buy any blister packs.
Also remember that with the heavy weapons teams you get a sight more than three heavy weapons.

Get converting.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.