General Imperial Guard Tactics vs Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

General Imperial Guard Tactics vs Tau

I was just wondering if you had any useful hints and tips for me playing vs Tau: effective units, HQ setups, tactics or how to keep guardsmen alive.

I normally run 2 HQs 4 guardsmen squads with heavy bolters 3 leman russ with heavy bolters, 3 lascannon teams, 2 squads of veterans with 3 plasmas and 3 meltas deep striking and 2 sentinels. If that helps at all.

Is it is worth taking some power fist etc incase of CC? because I don't have any atm

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, and mind you this was with my buddy's IG stuff, I borrowed his army once and played someone who was Tau.

I incorporated my Death Cult Assassins, and a Callidus, as allied DH. Got a few lucky rolls and kind of set off his strategy. *shrug* Worked for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavy bolters are going to be one of your best chances as it ignors their army and wounds on 2s. I would try to hug some kind of cover i wouldnt worry about putting them to clost togather because with the 3 Russ his fire should be on them. If you know he likes to use mechanized i would also try and take some auto cannons i have had some luck blowing those darn skimmers out of the sky with them.

Plasma guns will be nice to have to fire on his crissis suits i would suggest that you dont deep strike the vet team with the plasmas cause if they scatter they will be easy pickings.

What do yo have the sentinels armed with i would suggest that you use auto cannons or multi lasers on them. This will give you a good anti infantry weapon and will also have a chance to pop tanks. The sentinels will probably not make if for very long considering their army can be penetrated by pule rifles.

As for over tactices i would suggest just a standard firering line in cover of course. I would drop the melta guns on to his commander and buddies to thin them out. Just dong be afraid of close combat.

I hope this helped if need more PM me.
    The most dangerous men in the world are the ones who have nothing to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by MeatyG View Post
    I was just wondering if you had any useful hints and tips for me playing vs Tau: effective units, HQ setups, tactics or how to keep guardsmen alive.

I normally run 2 HQs 4 guardsmen squads with heavy bolters 3 leman russ with heavy bolters, 3 lascannon teams, 2 squads of veterans with 3 plasmas and 3 meltas deep striking and 2 sentinels. If that helps at all.

Is it is worth taking some power fist etc incase of CC? because I don't have any atm

thanks
    2HQ are a bit overkill in my oppinion, altough Heavy bolters are your friend, as mentioned.
    Do some tag-teaming with Autocannon and Plasmagun, they make huge holes in devilfish and the lige. The same goes for killing crisis suits! Be wary of the evil hammerhead, and if you can, destroy them as fast as possible!
    As for your concern about "How to keep guardsmen alive"... I must remind you that it is Imperial Guard you play, and you shouldn't care about your men dying, only how many of your enemies they take down!
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Anti-tank weapons will be needed and dont worry about the size of your enemy you should have enough to out number the Tau. Just make sure you take out their rail guns before they can take out your heavy support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As others have stated, target those Hammerheads with those railguns quick smart before they take out your Leman Russes.

Some people like to roll with a basilisk to counter the jump-shoot-jump of those pesky crises suits and stealth teams.

Heavy Bolters and Autocannons seem to be a good choice against Tau. If you can have some on either side they can cross fire and try and get some good side armour shots.

Don't worry about CC at all - Tau are the one army we can butcher in CC!

My mate who plau Tau is so far unbeaten though - very tough army to fight against!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Smart View Post
    As others have stated, target those Hammerheads with those railguns quick smart before they take out your Leman Russes.

Some people like to roll with a basilisk to counter the jump-shoot-jump of those pesky crises suits and stealth teams.

Heavy Bolters and Autocannons seem to be a good choice against Tau. If you can have some on either side they can cross fire and try and get some good side armour shots.

Don't worry about CC at all - Tau are the one army we can butcher in CC!

My mate who plau Tau is so far unbeaten though - very tough army to fight against!
    To add to the CC dont worry about the Kroot either. They can be taken down from a distance easily that even if they reach you they wont be that much of a threat anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The tactic that I have used was against an infantry based Tau, this was with kroots and crisis suits and fire warriors(?), but I gave the Tau a run for their money.

My guards are an infantry heavy army with maybe one leman russ but otherwise all heavy weapon platoons. I started out deep in cover (more than 6 inches in) or behind cover. I didn't have any guardsmen exposed to their fire. My heavy weapon platoons was nothing but mortars.

Needless to say, the Tau hit and run tactic didn't work so well. I rained mortars onto the Tau as my opponent realize that I wasn't going to move and he had to footslog the Tau to me to even get a kill. Once they were out in the open and within lasgun range, I slowly moved in cover to gradually bring in some lasgun firing and then when they were in rapid firing range, I went all out, getting as much fire I could onto them. Of course, the mortars was the headache to the Tau......the Crisis Suits were taken out by them early on.....no where to hide.

Against mech Tau.....you'll need stronger fire power, missile lauchers in my opinion, that way you can knock out the vechs first with kraks and then frag the infantry.
    Where the heck did all them guardsmen come from?

Great Wolf! Is that the howl of the 13th?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a cover-heavy table: stay out of LOS and pound with basilisks and mortars.
    Without cover: Pray to get first turn and bring down the railguns with your fire. Or consider a drop infantry army.
    Anyway an infantry army would waste the points Tau will spend on anti armor weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost everything depends on if the Tau list is mech, infantry, or suit heavy. The three are so different that they might as well each have a specific codex. But the one thing that will always work are basalisks. Indirect fire is brutal against Tau, as everyone has already said. But most importantly, it will force them to come to you. Especially with two basalisks. Six turns of fire is twelve pie plates, and that is hard to deal with. Just put one on each side of the table and fire diagonally, to negate the minimum range problem. Other than that, autocannons really shine against the Tau. Medium infantry and light tanks are all vulnerable, although lascannons do help deal with the AV 13 tanks that they can use.
    "When one man dies it is a tragedy. When thousands die its a statistic."
    -Stalin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast