Apocalypse - Masters and Battle Co - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

Apocalypse - Masters and Battle Co

How would you use the Masters of the Chapter and the Battle Company together?

MotC requires the master and four captains to be together in a unit, a BC requires the use of a captain and a command squad.
    Would you pay for a captain twice and use him twice? Would you just pay for him in the BC and then attach him to the MotC. It can't be vice versa as you'd lose the benefits of MotC.

OR, fluff wise, during such an engagement, would the captain of the 2nd Company (e.g) join with the Master and leave command of the 2nd Company to a 'lieutenant' or 'force commander' - a unit which doesn't exist in the game but is, to all intents and purposes, a captain/company master/castellan - depending on your codex.

I can't say I've seen it all but I live for the things that keep me hollow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

I think that'd be a reasonable route to take, after all, Apocalypse is all about tossing out the restrictions.

What you could do is have your Captain remain the captain and lead as such. The Masters of *insert random job here* could be the captains for other companies, such as the 7th or 9th, if you want to avoid confusion.

Let me sleep on it, and I'll see what I come up with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x3)

Had a similar train of thought, but the fluff stumped me.
    Historically, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th are Masters of the Watch, Armoury and Fleet - 2, 3 and 4 is also the battle companies.
    I don't know how set in stone that is - the 2nd ed codices told you what each captains responsibilities was.

I suppose the battle company could be the 5th.

But what if you are playing Dark Angels. Would the master of the Ravenwing (the 2nd co) really forego his jetbike or speeder to slog it along with Azrael? Seems unlikely and in such chapters it seems to take away their character.

Still mulling it over, but it seems a fluff quandry, but not really a gaming one.

Illustrator Extraordinair Adrian MalSeraph's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by distortiondave View Post
    But what if you are playing Dark Angels. Would the master of the Ravenwing (the 2nd co) really forego his jetbike or speeder to slog it along with Azrael? Seems unlikely and in such chapters it seems to take away their character.

Still mulling it over, but it seems a fluff quandry, but not really a gaming one.
    Exactly my issue, this is where some liberties must be taken. As it stands, my current 3rd Company commander (Adrian MalSeraph nonetheless :rofl) would then have to join the legendary unit.

But being Apocalypse, it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that the battle is only representative of the whole engagement taking place, thus it would be foolish to think that only some of the chapter is present. In all likelyhood (spelling way off), the entire chapter is present, and the commander is giving orders while being a member of the Legendary Unit.

Again, most cases will have to take liberties. I will be simply shifting the roles down one, 3rd, 4th and 5th for Watch, Armoury and Fleet, respectively.

Heh, I just realized that I have to spend tonight developing names for my 4th, 5th, and 10th company Masters. O.o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x3)

Yeah. I think for a standard apo mission, just 3k aside, a Battle Company + some termies or tanks is fine.
    Depending on your command squads or transports, MotC could touch 1000 points itself, so is for bigger games than the bigger game of the game which you are used to playing....if you catch me.

circa 3k, use the Battle Company.
    Circa 10k, use two or 3 battle companies, + MotC.
    You can still maintain the command squads for your battle companies, just lump them with a chaplain instead.
    In game terms the battle company captains have simply joined the Masters unit, creating an uber unit of doom. That is, of course, until Junior Office Wimpy Face hurls a vortex grenade at them....

+ Reply to Thread