Advice on drop troops. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on drop troops.

G'day i have recently been trying to deepstrike 5 man hardened vet squads with 3 meltas each and sentinels with lascannon & hunter killer. the main goal is to destroy the tanks, and if they don't have any autokill their heroes, and usually it seems to work wonders as the enemy can't really prevent it. usually the squads die but it is mostly worth it.

the purpose of this thread was just too find out whom also uses drop troops and how, and possibly if i could just get some advice on how to deepstrike the little fellas properly, and what is the optimum distance to (try) to deepstrike them from the enemy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Lel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that 6-8 inches away is good, cause I usually only scatter a lil bit and it usually puts my where I need to be even if I don't scatter, 6 inches behind the tank and hitting the rear armor with DPing meltas is wonderful fun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    266 (x4)

I tend to use light infantry and hid eout in buildings with snipers and plasme guns, but a good tatic is to deepstrike two or more groups like you're doing. THat way if one scattes badly you have a back up. 2D6+str. is there anything it cant do. . . .except effect Monoliths grrrrr -shakes fist in anger-

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Hi there,

I do use drop troops, but space marine ones with some important extras. With the drop pods I can place my units right beside the enemy unit since the pods will always reduce the scatter distance rolled by just enough to not land on other units or impassable terrain. The only units I deep-strike without pods is terminators, but I use teleport homers in that case. Only if I am very desperate do I call them in the risky way. But then still they are by far more tolerant due to their shooting range of 24", unlike the melta guns that will want to be within 6" of the target if possible.

So far I didn't help you much, but maybe you'll feel better with a list of probabilities! I like to be safe side so I usually stay 7" away from everything (fine for storm bolters and assault cannons but somewhat problematic with the melta guns), but here is a short list of scatterings distances (probabilities of scattering that many inches or less).
    0" (or less): 33.3%
    2" (or less): 35.2%
    3" (or less): 38.9%
    4" (or less): 44.4%
    5" (or less): 51.9%
    6" (or less): 61.1%
    7" (or less): 72.2%
    8" (or less): 81.5%
    9" (or less): 88.9%
    10" (or less): 94.5%
    11" (or less): 98.2%
    12" (or less): 100.0%
    This might be an inspiration to you and helpful for estimating what risk you are taking when trying to deep-strike your units in what position. It's up to you and your style of play where you will want to draw the line.
    But keep in mind that you still have to work in the 360° of possible deviance. So if there is nothing else in range but the enemy squad your unit is deep-striking in front of, then it may well be that only a 120° arc is problematic und the risk of losing your units due to scattering into the enemy will be reduced to a third. You can then go a little closer in order to minimize the risk of ending up out of gun range due to a scatter in any other direction.
    [Example: you want your melta gun squad to be as close as possbile to the enemy unit but want it to be safe from dying due to a bad scatter with a probability of 80%, then you could - assuming the enemy squad in whose vincinity you are trying to drop your unit is the only impassable ground in range and takes up the space in about an 120° in front of your unit - try to drop your squad only 3" from the enemy squad. The danger of scattering 3" or more is 100%-35.2%=64.8%, but is thirded (does that word exist?) because you have equal chances of scattering in any direction and only 120° - a third of all possible directions - will cause your troops to get killed. 64.8%/3=21.6%, meaning your troops have a 100%-21.6%=78.4% chance to be safe and still a decent chance (of more than 40%, because the chance of not scattering more than 3" is already 38.4%, but if you scatter into the right direction (sideways and not away from the target) you may scatter even more than 3" and still be within range) of landing within 6" of the target to use their melta guns most effectively.]

I hope these numbers provide you with a helpful breakdown to decide on your own what risks you are willing to take in order to gain certain advantages!
    Enjoy the game and good luck with those scatter dice.
    Regards,
    Archer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I use drop troops I error on the side of hope and put the model where I want it and roll for deviation.
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

Twin-Linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not within 3" of buildings. The only rule I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperialis_Dominatus View Post
    Clear rules, from GW? Never.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

In my full dropping list I just put them everywhere as any less and I would not fit. I find a good ploy is dropping them in difficult (not impassable) terrain. The enemy rarely sees this coming, assuming you cannot DS into buildings, woods and suchlike and has not put units over these areas to catch you as you drop (either with a charge or a auto kill from landing on them).

+ Reply to Thread