IG Noob starting - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG Noob starting

Hello all experienced IG players,

I'm looking into getting an IG army, and although I love the other stuff, my main interest is in snipers (i guess just cus they're cool :-) )

I sort of have an idea of what my list is gonna be,

HQ of some sort

Elites - Snipers

Snipers

Troops - Platoon 1

Platoon 2

H. Support - Tank of some sort (Lemmen Russ?)

Any help/critique/ideas/tips would help. Suggestions for sub-race? Catachans look pretty cool, but it doesn't look like they have the fire power (i.e. tanks) to hold up well. Thanks!

Who needs a gun when you've got Criss Angel?

GO DARK ELDAR!
    ...The most underrated race in the game!
    Chaos is pretty sweet too...
    Heck, All the Bad Guys are the Shoot!

"DARN YOU! DARN YOU ALL TO HECK!"
    --300 (G rated version)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

How many points are you aiming for?

Since this army has the snipers, I assume the rest of it will also sit and shoot
    My thoughts:
    The HQ should have a junior officer w/ honorifica. Either hide them away with a mortar or give them heavy and/or special weapons. Equipment for the officer isn't really necessary. If you want, then: storm bolter, and possibly a Macharian cross

For infantry platoons, my preferred weapons are the plasma gun, and heavy bolter/autocannon. Some other weapons are grenade or missile launchers. Lascannons can work too, but there shouldn't be too many of these in normal squads, and even then only in larger games. They're more of an anti-armor backup unit.

Heavy support- 2 indirect fire basilisks works well. Deploy one on each end of your deployment zone (hidden of course). You can also use some russes. As Dr. Paris said, they'll work better when you have at least 2.

I'd also recommend a counter charge unit. My favorite is rough riders with hunting lances, though after they use the lance, they usually die, and if they survive, they're not very useful. Conscripts are good also. The sheer size of the unit makes them a good speed bump.
    I can't say much about ogyrns. I've never used them before, and don't really plan on doing so anytime soon.

Doctrines are good as well. Close order drill and iron will are usually good choices for most guard lists.
    Last edited by qsd; October 11th, 2007 at 06:29.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

Tanks, like the Sith, should always come in two's. (Unless the game is very small.) Two vehicles have a much longer lifespan than one.

Popular Leman Russ config is 3 heavy bolters and extra armor.

Basilisk with indirect fire is also a favorite.

Platoon squads should have a least a heavy or special weapon, proably both. Plasma guns and grenade launchers are good choices for line squads. Heavy bolter and Missle Launcher are popular heavy weapon ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Sorry to crush your dreams but sniper rifles in the current rules are useless (save for against wraithlords and TMCs). They are good for fluff but you won't be winning many games unless you are a dice god or have a gift for tactical shenanigans (I love that word ).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As kroxigor01 said, sniper rifles are mostly useless unless fighting an army with the same crappy armour saves as IG. But however, used effectively, they can be effective in squads of say 6-10 ratlings (depending on point limit) for hindering the enemy. I wouldn't bother to get anything else than Ratling's as otherwise it just costs too much.

Ratlings get to infiltrate so you can set them up on the flanks to attempt to pin down select squads, and because they get +1 to their cover save they can be quite hard to kill and more often than not force the enemy away from them. Yet it is important to try to deploy a screen in front of them to heed the enemy from getting into CQC with them, as they are more hopeless than the humble guardsmen in Assault.

Just don't expect to get many kills with them, it just isn't what their intended for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by taipan338 View Post
    As kroxigor01 said, sniper rifles are mostly useless unless fighting an army with the same crappy armour saves as IG. But however, used effectively, they can be effective in squads of say 6-10 ratlings (depending on point limit) for hindering the enemy. I wouldn't bother to get anything else than Ratling's as otherwise it just costs too much.

Ratlings get to infiltrate so you can set them up on the flanks to attempt to pin down select squads, and because they get +1 to their cover save they can be quite hard to kill and more often than not force the enemy away from them. Yet it is important to try to deploy a screen in front of them to heed the enemy from getting into CQC with them, as they are more hopeless than the humble guardsmen in Assault.

Just don't expect to get many kills with them, it just isn't what their intended for.
    theres nothing like a group of midgets covering you as you rush forward towards the enemy. If you actually want snipers may I advice the doctrine light infantry which will allow you to have sniper rifles in an infantry platoon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    141 (x3)

Yeah, my idea of a sniper is dropping in a command squad or vets with plasma guns behind someone's juiciest unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dr. ParisYeah, my idea of a sniper is dropping in a command squad or vets with plasma guns behind someone's juiciest unit.

yes this is a lot of fun, and although it may not be Deblitz's idea of a sniper, it probs is more effective

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd recommend going for Ratlings. I dont use snipers in any of my IG lists, but you get the most bang for your buck with them.

Some advantages are that they are cheap both money and points wise. They get a bonus to there cover save. They can opt to be pinned rather than retreat, they do the exact same thing as regular snipers while being taken in larger numbers. And if you really hate the models then I'm sure most people wouldn't be opposed to you using the Catichan or the super awesome looking Vostroyan sniper models as Ratlings.

The only downsides to them that I see is, toughness 2 and a crappy leadership.

I would strongly advise against taking the Light Infantry doc in order to put snipers in your line squads. Its just not gonna work well and isn't essential to the sniper theme.

You best bet is a unit of like 10 Ratlings pluging away at either your enemies big nasties or trying to pin some of there units.

Hope this helps and good luck to ya!8Y
    40k armies
    Imperial Guard-3,250pts
    Blood Angels-2,000pts
    Daemon Hunters-2,000pts

+ Reply to Thread