Need Help BAD! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help BAD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help BAD!

Like the title says I need help desperately with my Space Marines. In all of the games I've played I have only won about three, and of those only one of them wasn't obtained from my opponnet quiting or me having a clear super advantage. My question is what are some tips you guys could give me for making a 1750 Marines list? Preferably a Shooty army but, those haven't worked in the past so an assualty or balanced list would be helpful as well.

P.S.- My typical opponnets are Necrons and Tyranids, however I would still like good tips for any army.

Also chapter/trait advice would help.

Last edited by Zangetsu; October 17th, 2007 at 15:54.

When you dodge, "I won't let them kill me." If you protect someone, "I won't let them die." If you attack, "I will kill them."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Well, I'm no expert myself, but I can tell you that if you play Necrons AND nids on a regular basis, and assuming they use "classic" army styles for both, then yes, you're going to want a mix of cc and shootiness.

With crons I would strongly suggest leaving the armour at home. That, and bring terminators, if you have them. Aside from the heavy destroyers, which are a costly investment in a cron army, there's not much with a low enough AP to knock the termies out easily. A lascannon or two would be nice if he brings a monolith. If you can, use power weapons/power fists in cc against his warriors. Keeps them from getting back up, provided the lord doesn't have an orb or isn't close enough to you with it. If he brings the Nightbringer, don't let it scare you. Just stay away from it and you should be fine. The Deceiver is a pain the neck, but again, keep as far away as possible.

For the nids, you need anti-horde. Groups of heavy bolters(like in a dev squad), lots of bodies, and (maybe) some frag missiles will help. A speedy cc unit, such as a 10-man assault squad with a jump pack-equipped chappie will work nicely as a countercharge unit. I've heard sniper squads are great for taking out synapse creatures, which will hamstring him nicely, but I haven't put this to the test.

Good luck!
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

rather than come up with a magical solution that sends you shopping, I would suggest you start out by listing what you have and perhaps post a list in the army list forum?
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

A few must haves:

Standard Teminator Squad w/ Assault Cannon

These guys can tear up infantry, heavy infantry and light vehicles using the assault cannon, or they can engage in close combat with a non-weapon skill vehicle and destroy it. Just keep these guys out of close combat, their low armor save will count for nothing if you're forced to take it too many times...

Predator Tank

A cheap, effective anti-armor tank that has a good amount of armor and can be upgraded to include lascannon side sponsons. Set this up in firing lanes to keep enemies from going there.

Librarian

The new rules for librarian psyker powers mean that these once crappy characters can actually hurt somebody now. Force weapons will force enemy characters to stay away from them and the power 'vortex of doom' will certainly scare most armies. Be careful though, as librarians tend to be quite expensive points wise.

Plasma Cannons

My beloved plasma cannons; they're just so nifty. They can take out infantry, heavy infantry and light vehicles without breaking a sweat. I would definately recommend these in a few of your tactical squads, though I'd keep them out of your devestator squads

One suggestion...

Venerable dreadnoughts are really good tankhunters. Give them the tank hunter skill and equip them with a rocket launcher and twin-linked lascannons. Enemy armor will certainly take pains to avoid this monstrosity! The rocket launcher is virtually S9 for vehicles and the lascannon is S10. Caution: all dreadnoughts, regardless of their type, draw huge droves of enemy fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x2)

Are you new to the game or new to Space Marines?

If you're new to SMs but not the game, read tacticas and look at existing lists. If you want to play the nastiest list with no concern for fluff or whatever, field a couple of LSTs, assault squads with PF Sgt. with an attached Chaplain, and three or four 6-man las-pas squads. Throw in a Fear of the Darkness Librarian in Terminator Armor..., oh hell, just check out some of the lists in the Army list section of the Marine forum. You'll see several units and combinations repeated over and over as suggestions.

If you're new to the game, focus on your tactical squads- they're the unit that will win (or lose) games for you. Try different weapon loadouts and squad sizes. Learn when to move and fire your assault and rapid-fire weapons, and when to hang back and fire the heavy. Learn at what point in the game you need to move on the objective and when you should just focus on shooting/ assaulting your opponent instead of going for the objective.

Don't bog yourself down with a bunch of special rules at first- learn the basic ones. Learn how area terrain works. Space Marine units can fit all sorts of different play styles- figure out which ones support your play style. Resist the temptation to play gimmicky lists that will either massacre or be massacred. Play lots of small point games and learn from your losses.

Paint your friggin' models.

Learn how not to lose, then learn how to win.

Sound odd? It really isn't. Figure out how not to hand your opponent a victory by deploying badly or doing silly things with your troops and vehicles. Don't play to win at first, just play to not lose. Stay in cover. Claim objectives. Focus your shooting on one target before moving on to the next one.

You'll get the hang of it. It just takes awhile.
    We all carry on,
    When our brothers in arms are gone.
    So raise your glass high
    For tomorrow we die,
    And return from the ashes you call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -39 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by DEADMARSH View Post
    Paint your friggin' models.
    Why does everyone say that? D:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings
    Snipers are great against the nid big bugs with high toughness, and would agree with others with the heavy bolters the more the better. Try to pour your fire into one unit at a time and wipe it out. Taking out his leaders will also really hurt his synapse cover as well.
    As for necrons sory cant help never played them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by CCchips View Post
    Why does everyone say that? D:
    Painted models have better luck in the dice department. Everyone knows this.

This is a TRUE fact which I just made up. Everyone told me this.

Helpful chap that Everyone.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would be great if you could post perhaps what your opponents use to field?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast