Lascannons: AT Support or Leman Russ Annihilator - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lascannons: AT Support or Leman Russ Annihilator

So, I'm rolling against an Eldar player tonight, 2000pt game.

I'm basically torn between having 2 anti tank lascannon squads with 2 normal Leman Russes, or going for 2 LR Annihilators (see Imperial Armour books) and say autocannon/heavy bolter supports.

He'll definately have 2 falcons, and a wraithlord as his heavys. Those skimmers are his main threat.

Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

I'd go with the 2 lascannon teams IE 2 units of 3. Basically his lance weapons will pop a russ in 1 shot, at least your making him "earn" his way to wiping out every lascannon member to kill the unit. When I played eldar I used to bring lances on my falcons and have 2. I had no problem dedicating the 2 tanks to kill guard tanks, its really easily done with eldar....
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by MouseC112 View Post
    I'd go with the 2 lascannon teams IE 2 units of 3. Basically his lance weapons will pop a russ in 1 shot, at least your making him "earn" his way to wiping out every lascannon member to kill the unit. When I played eldar I used to bring lances on my falcons and have 2. I had no problem dedicating the 2 tanks to kill guard tanks, its really easily done with eldar....
    I agree, two Lascannon teams are the way to go IMO. I also like to add Sharpshooters to them make them a little more effective.

Cheers, DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless the board your playing on is exceptionally big go with the las cannon teams. Even then a Russ doesn't have much hope against a falcon. Good Luck
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks chaps.

The might of the Imperium triumphed last night! I rolled with 2 lascannon teams, and two normal Leman Russes. Both LR were popped in turn 2, but my lascannon teams only lost one man in the whole game, and destroyed his wraithlord in two turns, as well as constantly keeping his falcons shaken (I hate that 2d6 upgrade Eldar have... it's SO good!) - they kept him from destroying much at all.

Pretty convincing win in the end, definately best to go with the lascannon teams.

Oh, and I roll with the Death Korps, so no Sharpshooters for me (wouldn't take it anyway i don't think).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

Wouldn't take sharp shooters on lascannon teams? So you don't like to re-roll 1's and give you a higher chance to wound with lascannons? That's disappointing as I think its one of the best upgrades available to guard players who take Heavy Weapon Platoons. It really increases the likelihood of hitting
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just feel there are other doctrines I'd rather take. Re-rolling 1's is very handy of course.

However, I don't think that the Imperial Guard should be allowed to upgrade their shooting. I want my troops to be awful, cannon fodder. Personally, I feel that there should be a special rule, where you re-roll 6's, not 1's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    539 (x8)

infantery is better at taking out tanks than other tanks, thats how i kitted out my amroured vehicles in my EC army, the tanks can pop other tanks, but they also have HB's to deal with infantery and to make them less of thread, so they survive longer
    Got a "good" rumour from a GW staffer? Forget about it, LO'ers know more than any random GW shop staffer.
    Voor alle nederlanders:
    The Dutch Legion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Smart View Post
    However, I don't think that the Imperial Guard should be allowed to upgrade their shooting. I want my troops to be awful, cannon fodder. Personally, I feel that there should be a special rule, where you re-roll 6's, not 1's.
    Why not? You're forgetting that veteran/more experienced regiments exist. Not everyone sucks.
    Awful cannon fodder = Conscripts
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

+ Reply to Thread