Cardboard Walkers or Strategic Unit? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Cardboard Walkers or Strategic Unit?

Given how many times my Chimera has blown up and my Grenadiers have found themselves scraping along the ground. Iím ditching my Chimera for some Deep Striking Sentinels with Heavy Flamers to deal some damage to swarm armies which is surprising because I donít like the thought of buying a vehicle that for the same cost Space Marines can take a Land Speeder.

But what I would like to ask other guard players is what is your view on Sentinels do you see them as useless walkers made out of cardboard or do you seem them as an effective unit when deployed and used correctly?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my sentinels, squad of 3 with heavy flamers and hardened fighters. They are great at dealing with infantry of all types save the terminator strength 8 squads. I love deep striking them since their base size allows for me to shift about 2.5 inches in any direction from the actual drop point. They are relatively cheap and often flush entrenched squads into the open field for me to blast with heavy bolters and lasguns. When used correctly they are an excellent tactical unit that can be used in a variety of ways.
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

Twin-Linked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I deep strike heavy flamer sentinels all of the time. I have started putting hunter-killer missiles on them though because if they get a bad scatter then you can still have them do something. Just don't get too attached to them because they will die, that is just the way it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

I am still building a guard army, but its based around sentinals with lascannons and hunter killer missiles. They seem like the are nice and versatile, unfortunately they are pretty much build out of cardboard. In a guard army, I see them mobile weapons platforms that should be skirting terrain and not esposing themselves too much unless you want them to wipe out a squad with massed fire.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since its IG expect them to bite it after a few turns after exposing them. If they earn their points back good. If not, oh well I have more units.

Sentinels with heavy flamers and hunter-killers are brutally effective if dropped in the right spot. On the other hand lascannons with hunter-killers knock out tanks after push though difficult terrain or just hugging the edge of the table. They excel at both of those roles well along with the multilaser and hunter-seeker for infantry.

When using sentinels I found that the hunter-killer is always useful, a troop transport killer, tank hunter, monstrous creatures or just a back up if the heavy weapon squads piss their shots away. Make sure you rig up your sentinels to be able to switch out weapons in between games to increase flexibility though.

I consider the chimera to be a double layered cardboard box that can't get through difficult terrain as is. Sentinels are a awesome concept as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperialis_Dominatus View Post
    Clear rules, from GW? Never.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Okay

Alright then I just wanted to see if my tactic was the right one and not a total waste.

But heres another question that Iíd like to ask: what happens when vehicles deep strike and land on enemy infantry. I know you infantry die automatically and a monolith forces them to move but what about standard deep striking units like the Land Speeder and Sentinel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Move the sentinel(s) as close as possible without base to base contact. I may be wrong on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperialis_Dominatus View Post
    Clear rules, from GW? Never.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah mate tha best way2 use them is probs drop them in with lascannon nd hunter killer missile, usin em in tha anti-tank role.....tha flamer method is just too risky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree... With a single deep strike with a heavy flamer sentinel, you can make your points back easiy. One deepstriking sentinel can cripple a tyranid brood or ork mob to the point where they won't threaten your gun line, or to the point your command squads can take them on in close combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use sentinels in separate squads as I dont like the idea of leaving an immobilized one to die. I give mine lascannon and use them to take out tanks. I then charge them in once the tank is immobilized so that it cant do anything. Power fists are the only problem with this but with any luck the sentinel explodes.

BANEBLADE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast