Ogryns movement? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ogryns movement?

Gday,

ok i like Ogryns and am desperate to work them into my army somehow. I'm sure most of you will agree that they really aren't that bad in assault, SX, AX, TX, SVX, WSX. and most importantly the X wounds. they usually are pretty good at hanging in. especially if they're matched up with an independent commissar with a power fist.

but the problem i face is their movement. i really want to play them in my army but they are just to slow.....with no movement or assault benefits like rough riders......is their any possible way i can improve their movement? or any tips on getting them into assault? cauz the no doctrines doesnt help either.

Please any tips on how to get Ogryns into assault......and i am extremely reluctant to use the chimera as it too is very basic and usually just gets destroyed along with my Ogryns being stranded or entangled in the middle of the battlefield with newly acquired wounds.

So what is the best way to get them into assault?

Edited to remove stats. ~LN

Last edited by Lost Nemesis; November 3rd, 2007 at 07:15.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off i do believe that is against the rules to post unit stats.

That a side i would suggest a chimera but it will probably be destroyed and then have the guys picked off. I could see this working though if you had other tanks.

I would also suggest just hiding them and using them for counter assault make sure they don't get shot though.
    The most dangerous men in the world are the ones who have nothing to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

IMO ogryns are inferior to rough riders for both cost, punch and speed. If you wanted a counter assault squad that doesn't move till the enemy are close a command squad with a hidden powerfist (priest or commisar) would be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Ogryns and have used them to varying levels of success. Don't count out their shooting since they carry the equivalent of assault two bolters and shoot just as well as any standard guardsman.

The Chimera is a good solution to the foot slogging issue, just plan on thinking a turn or two ahead for these guys as you cannot charge the turn they bail out of the transport. My favorite use for a Chimera mounted squad of six Ogryns is to combine them with an infiltrated squad of either Vets, Stormies or Ratlings. Use the Chimera to get the Ogryns into position to defend the forward fire support from assault. If nothing else it works well to deter even space marine assault squads from trying to engage anything close to the Ogryns.

The biggest drawback is that it is an expensive squad (both points and $$ cost is high). The way I outfit my Ogryns ends up costing me 253 points (I'll let you figure that out). So committing them is much more tactical than the drop troop suicide Vet Squad or the suicide Rough Riders lance charge. I tend to use them only in games that exceed 1500 points as they are relatively prohibitive in smaller games.
    What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

Twin-Linked

+ Reply to Thread