Why do I suck with marines? or How do you win with marines? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do I suck with marines? or How do you win with marines?

Im tired of loosing. It seems whenever I play my friends necrons I always loose, and today was the worse of all, I ended the game with 5 models. Other games I still loose, but I dont do near as bad. So what am I doing wrong?

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...d.php?t=107328 (Imperial Fists - 2k)

Here is the curent list Ive been trying out, played 2 games with it, first was a draw by turn 3, 170points in my favor, and then second game vs my friend. I have been debating going iwth nids as of late, but Id really like to give marines one more chance, any advice in general is helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

quite suprised by your age, you have a fluffy list for Imp fists, but this type of list (termie heavy, often refere to asa Lysander wing) is symptomatic of "Toys for the boys" syndrome, common to younger players (no offence anyone) who see the shiney stuff and love it, you need to do damage with your troops, and with a semi decent crons list, your troops with meltas and missile launchers are not brilliant, the way to deal with crons is firepower, lots of it, you can help this with assault elements, but without it crons will tend to eat your assault elements by weakening it with fire power, and then out numbering and getting back up
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find Assualt Terminators work quite well against Necrons. Seeing how you already use those my recomendation would be to beef them up, I usually use 8 in one squad Seven in another. The 7 group having the support of a Chaplian. try to make your army so you have back-ups. So if he fights your terminators he'll ingnore something else thats immportant. Also I would suggest that you put one group of terminators in a Land Raider Crusader.

When you dodge, "I won't let them kill me." If you protect someone, "I won't let them die." If you attack, "I will kill them."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    quite suprised by your age, you have a fluffy list for Imp fists, but this type of list (termie heavy, often refere to asa Lysander wing) is symptomatic of "Toys for the boys" syndrome, common to younger players (no offence anyone) who see the shiney stuff and love it, you need to do damage with your troops, and with a semi decent crons list, your troops with meltas and missile launchers are not brilliant, the way to deal with crons is firepower, lots of it, you can help this with assault elements, but without it crons will tend to eat your assault elements by weakening it with fire power, and then out numbering and getting back up

i wasnt aware termies had age ranges on them ive always loved termies, especially when they charge out of a LRC with chappy

anyways... just seemed like everything i through at him didnt matter, his WBB rolls were on spot, only reason i bought the terminators originally were to get into CC with the crons his lord was grouped with and remove the orb.

today was just a horrible game, in the end i think i have really bad luck..... i NEVER roll 6s for my assault cannons, and i think i am the only person i know that can fail consistent 2+ saves

im just not sure how my army selection/building goes. i dont think ive found my niche army yet.... but ive been playing for close to 3 years, i think i should have found it by now

King of France techmarine Rannon Zriker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first, crons can only have 3 vehicles, so tank hunters in every squad is useless, and a major waste of points

don't DS termies, unless a Tele-homer is nearby or it's on an objective.

scout seargents can have a sniper and t-honours, use it boy!

DS assault termies is a no-no, because it becomes a huge target, and any player worth his salt, would shoot everything into that squad (which if you like suicide units....)

and finally, crons hate Close combat, use assault marines man!

remember, crons are a pain in the arse. and you did kind of waste points on tank hunters, but extremely fluffy!

oh and Dreadnoughts are firework factories with legs, so don't expect even a ven one to survive the game.
    Last edited by techmarine Rannon Zriker; November 7th, 2007 at 01:30.
    Create flames for a galaxy and it will be warm. Put a galaxy in flames and it will be warm for the rest of it's existence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

No offense man, but if you are having trouble playing as marines, then switching to tyranids is almost certainly a bad idea. Tyranids require a lot of finesse and refinement to play effectively, much like Dark Eldar. The majority of your army will be toughness 3 with a 5+ or 6+ armor save, which means they are very very fragile to shooting. They are nowhere near as forgiving of tactical errors as marines are with their T4 and 3+ armor saves. My piece of advice would be to stick with your marines and don't give up! Work with them and change up your list until you find something that works for you
    Last edited by slobulous; November 7th, 2007 at 02:53.
    I WANNA GET STUCK IN WIT DA BOYZ

Ghost of LO ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x8)

Originally i was going to post something, and submitted it, but then I changed my mind. How odd for forged to keep his mouth shot.

Feel free to delete this post, of if I was a mod, id be lazy and do nothing about it.

Perhaps thats why I'm not a mod though..
    Questions about drop pods? Click Here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Death From Above!
    Need help with your HQ? Click Here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar View Post
    Originally i was going to post something, and submitted it, but then I changed my mind. How odd for forged to keep his mouth shot.

Feel free to delete this post, of if I was a mod, id be lazy and do nothing about it.

Perhaps thats why I'm not a mod though..

your more than welcome to post whatever your were originally gonna say, i wont harbor any negative feelings towards you, after all this is an internet forum.

as for nids, i just like the over all look of them better, i originally only started marines due to the dreadnoughts, but once i saw how bad vehicles have it in the game, and how my expectations of the dreads were shattered, ive lost interest in the marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll not give you any specific advise, but rather tell you what I do when I play against Necrons. This may give you some ideas on how to modify your list or strategy.

For starters, I don't have specialized lists, but rather a list that I consider well rounded and I enjoy playing. This makes me think a lot on areas that some players overlook, how to use the terrain, where and how should I deploy my units, if I want to go first or not, etc...

I play Ultramarines, no traits. My list basically consist of a chaplain led assault squad with jumpacks, a unit of terminators with 2 assault cannons, a predator destructor with HB sponsors, a Vindicator with POTMS, a unit of bikes with an assault bike, 2 LST and the rest are tactical squads with LC and PG or PC and PG, but there is one LC or PC and a PG in each squad on a total of 6 tactical squads of 8 strong. You can tell I like shooty instead of CC, and my chaplain led squad is mostly for counter-charge, unless I see a target of opportunity. I don't expose this squad to unnecessary fire or involve them in unnecessary combats that would tie them up for more than 1 turn.

Against Necrons, my normal strategy is to concentrate my units in a place of the table that offers me some coverage and give me fire lanes. With few exceptions, Necrons weapons are short range and I can outshoot them from a distance safely. I don't hesitate to move the predator forward to shoot the Necrons and block lanes even more. The vindicator is well protected and the necrons pay the price if they came in range of it.

I normally don't deep strike the termies. And they normally don't start at the same place with my troops. I normally place them where I can maximize their AC firepower. And I avoid getting them in CC as much as possible. Their job is to fire those AC every turn, from 1 to 6.

I work one unit at a time and concentrate all firepower on a single unit until they are all gone. I shoot the warriors that are outside of the ResObr, if possible.

When they get close, I round them with my chaplain led assault squad, fire the plasma pistols, rapid fire with the tactical squads and then charge. That gives the Necron player a vary bad taste, believe me. The result is almost always a dead warrior squad.

I totally ignore Monoliths. I really don't care about them. I work to phase the Necrons out and this has been working for me pretty well.

My main problem are scarabs. They are very fast and if the Necron player plays them well, you have to be careful or they will tie up your line of fire.

The last thing I do is to have a lot of fun, no matter if I win or lose the game. Sometimes even the best strategy doesn't work the way you intend and the only thing left for you is to be a good sport and congratulate the other player. 8X
    Last edited by Cowboy; November 7th, 2007 at 04:19.

+ Reply to Thread