Combat Shields - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Combat Shields

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Combat Shields

Hi all,

I was just wondering on the effectiveness of Combat Shields. I know they are pretty good for IC's but is there any point giving them to veteran sergeants? I mean, what would be the point of it - it's not like it could have any effect unless the vet sergeant was the only squad member left due to the majority armour save rule? Am I right in thinking this?
    Does anyone use combat shields in their squads? Or are they a waste of points for sergeants?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

I do it because they look damn cool. Also we run a house rule where you can choose to put a single inflicted wound on the Sergeant if he's in range, and if you do, the Sergeant gets his special save.

They would be most useful if an entire squad could take them, like BT Assault Squads. But then there's the problem of not finding enough bitz - you get one shield with the sergeant sprue and that's it.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

I think its a pretty good deal, especially on power fist sgts. There's a rule that if one or more wounds are inflicted on every engaged model (of a unit), then the attacker can nominate one model to make the first save. (it can be found somewhere in the taking saves part of the assault phase) So, if the sarge is nominated to take a power weapon hit, the shield can be valuable.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by qsd View Post
    I think its a pretty good deal, especially on power fist sgts. There's a rule that if one or more wounds are inflicted on every engaged model (of a unit), then the attacker can nominate one model to make the first save. (it can be found somewhere in the taking saves part of the assault phase) So, if the sarge is nominated to take a power weapon hit, the shield can be valuable.
    Actually, the Torrent of fire/blows (shooting/assault, respectively) rule allows your opponent to force one model to make a save... YOU pick what hit to save against. So if there's Power and regular hits coming in, you can either take your Sergeant's 3+ armour or the Combat shield's Invulnerable. Can't imagine why you'd take a power hit if you don't have to, though...

As for the shields themselves, I always give my assault sergeants shields. They may not be much use very often, and when they are used, they're usually useless... But I really couldn't care less. They're cool, and they're fluffy, and that little extra bit of insurance is really handy if, say, you wind up needing an emergency, solo "win or die trying" charge on a Carnifex or Wraithlord or something. It's happened to me before, the shield saved my Sarge, and his Thunder Hammer killed the 'Fex. Therefore, all of my Assault Sergeants always have combat shields - that's just the way it is.

EDIT @ qsd: Ah, yes... I suppose it might be possible for a powerful IC to invoke it with a bit of luck and a small target squad - all power hits there. Same general idea as my 'Nid MC point above, really. The lesson here, folks: you've already spent a pile of points on the sarge, spend the extra few to protect him in an emergency!
    Last edited by Wraith; November 9th, 2007 at 03:13.
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

[quote=Wraith;1037320]Actually, the Torrent of fire/blows (shooting/assault, respectively) rule allows your opponent to force one model to make a save... YOU pick what hit to save against. So if there's Power and regular hits coming in, you can either take your Sergeant's 3+ armour or the Combat shield's Invulnerable. Can't imagine why you'd take a power hit if you don't have to, though...quote]

When it comes to characters with power weapon attacks, which many have, you don't really have a choice since during assault they're like a seperate unit from any squad they're attached to. Usually, you'll want to direct the power fist at the character, and more often than not that character will strike before the sarge. The shield can help him survive and ensure that the fist/hammer does its job.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

+ Reply to Thread