Successor Chapters and Special Characters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Successor Chapters and Special Characters

I was looking around last night and I remember reading a rule stating that if you wanted to creat a successor chapter from one of the major lists you could still use the special characters.

You just give them a new name and keep everything else the same. I could have sworn it was in the BA codex but now I can't find it.

Am I crazy or was this printed somewhere recently?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

I believe it was printed somewhere, can't remember where but I think its in the space marine codex. Last I remember that is perfectly ok to do in most cases; you just need to rename the character and the equipment/abilities they use and you should be good to go in friendly games where your opponent has no problem with it. In tournaments however, you can only field those space marine special characters with the chapter rules that apply. (You have to field Lysander or a character like Lysander in an army that uses the traits for the imperial fists, you can change the colour and name of the chapter but it must adhere to those traits.)

Note that you cannot take Ezekial of the dark angels and use him in a trait army by renaming him and his stuff. You can only use characters from that codex unless using mutiple detachments, in which your fielding multiple armies and it doesn't really matter.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
    I believe it was printed somewhere, can't remember where but I think its in the space marine codex. Last I remember that is perfectly ok to do in most cases; you just need to rename the character and the equipment/abilities they use and you should be good to go in friendly games where your opponent has no problem with it. In tournaments however, you can only field those space marine special characters with the chapter rules that apply. (You have to field Lysander or a character like Lysander in an army that uses the traits for the imperial fists, you can change the colour and name of the chapter but it must adhere to those traits.)

Note that you cannot take Ezekial of the dark angels and use him in a trait army by renaming him and his stuff. You can only use characters from that codex unless using mutiple detachments, in which your fielding multiple armies and it doesn't really matter.
    I'm glad I'm not crazy! I mean in the very strict sense. So, I want to do a BA successor. So it would follow that Codex to the letter. The name and paint would just be different. I just wish I could find the rule. =\

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

The answer you seek is in the Dark Angels codex. You could do this with any army and use count-as. Just try to keep it WYSIWYG and if you take someone like lysander, use the traits for IF.
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so does this rule go as well for the Ultramarines honour guard in the space marine codex? I have an ultramarines successor army and wasnt sure about that.

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by xstashmarkx View Post
    so does this rule go as well for the Ultramarines honour guard in the space marine codex? I have an ultramarines successor army and wasnt sure about that.
    Yes

Succesor chapters can take pretty much any of the special stuff the original chapter can, provided you use the traits/codex of that chapter and you rename the character or unit and their special gear and abilities. Also, though I don't think it says anywhere that you have to, converting the model(s) is usually a better idea than using the original ones.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

If a person playing a successor chapter intends to use the parent chapter's special characters, they must use the exact same rules as the parent chapter, or else it's illegal. This falls under "counts as": it doesn't matter what colour they are or what they're called, so long as they use a legal set of rules published in a Codex, it's fine. As Darkreever said, you can't mix and match.

For a similar scenario: You can still make successor chapters that don't use the parent chapter's rules, but you can't use the parent chapter's special characters, because they're part of that chapter's rules, and we've already declared we're not using them.

I should also point out that in the interests of fluff integrity, the BA successors are limited to the five or six mentioned in the Codex. This is because after they discovered the Black Rage was hereditary during the Second Founding, they declared that they wouldn't create any further successors to avoid spreading the curse. The Chapters descended from the Blood Angels are (correct me if I'm wrong here) the Angels Sanguine, Angels Encarmine, Angels Porphyr, the Flesh Tearers, the Flesh Eaters, and the Blood Drinkers.

Of course, no-one's going to be all hard-assed and say you have to play one of those chapters if you want to play using Blood Angels rules. Unless they're like, super-hard-assed.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BA second founding chapters are: Angels Encarmine, Angels Sanguine, Angels Vermilion, Blood Drinkers, and Fleshtearers. Hey at least the last two they came up with something besides Angels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate all the help guys. More or less I intended to use the rules exactly intact but do a successor chapter.

I know the chance to have that fit the fluff won't really pan out but I've developed a look and feel I like. I also prefer the BA rules.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Azhrei_77 View Post
    BA second founding chapters are: Angels Encarmine, Angels Sanguine, Angels Vermilion, Blood Drinkers, and Fleshtearers. Hey at least the last two they came up with something besides Angels.
    Angels Vermilion, that's the one.

...don't know where I got Porphyr from.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast