Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Purgation Squads

1K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  OrionLethe 
#1 ·
Hey all , I was just wonderinng what your experience has led you to believe about Purgation squads and what was their effectivness on different troops. I'm mostly talking about Phsycannon Purgs but incinorater purgs are good too... I guess :D

#2 ·
I would only use a Pyscannon purg squad on an army with base troops with a toughness of 3 or less (double strength!!!) :w

#4 ·
actually inquisiters, Cannoness's (sisters hq), and imperial guard hq's, death cult assassins, and the priest in the current sisters of battle army list (pre-witch hunters codex) all have t 3 and multiple wounds. Thats in the imperial armies alone. I wouldn't be surprised to find t3 creatures with multiple wounds in the eldar, dark eldar, and Tau armies (not their battle suits, because those give all sorts of weird bonus's to the stats of a model).

its nice to wound space marines on a 2+ too.

#7 ·
My experiance of Purg squads is that they are far FAR too expensive to be of any real use in an army less than 2500pts. The psycannon team is way too many points and although it is very good at killing many-men (T3-4) it never seems to get the chance to really let loose on somthing that is effected by its special rules. This means that for many games you can find yourself paying hudge numbers of points for weapons that never seem like much more than heavy bolters.

The incinerator squad, on the other hand, shows potential. I have experimented with a pricy, but devastating squad which used 5 incinerators (1 for each purgator and 1 for the Justicar) and a Land Raider Crusader..............oh ho hoo.

Again, very expensive (almost 500pts) but what a unit.

#12 ·
Purgation Squads.......

:angry:

If they had the option of some decent weapons apart from the Psycannon, i'd take 'em - as it is, they're too expensive and of dubious utility against armoured opponents.

Save the points and get something worthwhile would be my advice - not that i'm bitter about the lack of anti-tank in Grey Knights or anything...... :)

#15 ·
From all the previous posts i think howling coyote gets the best idea, the weapons available to purgation squads are mainly anti infantry and so the best option would be to get them to help out the storm bolters all around.

Puting 4 heavy weapons on the same squad may get you to waste some shots against light armoured personell and by doing so wasting points you could spend on other things.

#16 ·
I personally put a couple of psycannons in troops and they become much more effectve and flexible. Cost is way too much in a purg squad. GKs should'nt just stand around and shoot, and besides you have a really expensive justicar just sitting there.

However, you can have a smaller squad (3). A justicar and two psycannons. I'm not sure it's a good unit, it's just a minor note about purg squads. The though is 4 incins is a waste, but two might be a good combo. I normally never think of a purge squad with incins...

I think moving 3-man incin purg squads might be an interesting choice. If you have a 10 man gk troop with a 3 man incin or psycannon squad behind them, they can devestate squads before the troops charge, then the purg squad can stay out and keep other hordes from piling on. Nothing worse than a special wepaon GK in assault. No S bonus and extra attack, a.k.a. worthless.

A tactic worth trying or just over complicated?

#17 ·
Difficult to realise, rather than complicated - you certainly don't want your own troops caught in an incinerator template (which can happen, trust me) but certainly, you also don't want Special Weapons in a primarily HtH squad.

Maybe advance in formation:

K K J K K K
K K K K With the incinerator squad taking up a suitable flank? Does mean that DS becomes less of a viable tactic (not that its great....) but with the NVR meaning that we can't even take an LRC and assault out of that (my reading is that after disembarking, you have to stand for a turn?) then we have to take what we can get.....

I may try that this weekend ;)

#19 ·
I can't really see the point of using them. First you get two weapons, Second they cost too much(big surpirse there), and Third the heavy support slots can be used for way better choices.

#20 ·
I agree. They are nice in theory, but in real game play, they dont really have a place in very many army lists that ive made...except for one thing.....four INCINERATORS dropped with a transport on a weak (troop-heavy) flank will make any opponent sweat...and is sure to make you smile..just keep them out of CC if at all possible....and remember, you can consolidate BACK into a transport in the middle of combat...neat trick to use here

#21 ·
now I don't have the latest TVRs, but can some models shoot out of a tank hatch. I like the idea of shooting psycannons from a tank in addition to its heavy bolters. But I guess I still wouldn't make it a purg squad, rather a regular squad with two special wepaons, but is it possible?

#23 ·
Exactly right re: The Chimera - i have two variants (different turrets, same chassis) for TL Heavy Bolters and Autocannon. I transport my =I= and retinue around in these (shooty type) but Chimera's are prone to being the target for every anti-tank gun on the opposing army....then again, its pretty much the case whith all armies.....so its more a case of using them carefully.

So, my "purgation squad" is a mobile retinue - i wouldn't use a "real" one as they are way too expenisve and while they can deal with troops and light armour, they aren't of any use against anything heavier.

Keep the incinterators in the FA squad and the psycannon(s) in a troop squad.

#24 ·
I think that Purg Squads can be useful if used right. One thing to look at is their 36 inch range, which means they can shoot across the whole field. Secondly, theyre strong enough to take out weaker armored vehicles or other similar things like speeders. The ignore invl. saves is quite handy in a few situations, but not in most. I think the main thing to look at is the Assult 18 in option. This means that you can manuver with them extensivly and still shoot far. If youre faced with a slow opponent (plauge zombies anyone?) you can just keep them 14 in. away and still have massive firepower. Also, AP 4 aint bad, and their high str (6, the magic number) is quite useful, especially with circa 12 shots. I've tried them in normal gk units with not so great results for a few reasons. Firstly, you cant concentrate on the higher toughness units or the tanks or whatever it is you wanna kill. Secondly is the range difference in the storm bolters. If somthin's far away, you can only hit it with your one psycannon and the bolters are wasted (which really bites). If you want to utilize the full effectiveness of your stormbolters' assult, then you can only shoot up to 18 in. if you want to get by with the psycannon shots as well. All in all, they are pricey but against alot of troops, particularly non-marine, they can pay for themselves for a clever (or very mobile) commander.

#26 ·
No a Land Raider has no firing points. and my arguement against a Purg squad goes liek this. A purg squad of 4 Psycannons and a Justicar is a lot of points, ofr those points, you can ALMOST completly pay for 2 DREADNOUGHTS!....maxed out with Lascannons and Missle Launchers.....is only like 15 pts more...I would RATHER have that THANK YOU....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.