A little disappointed... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

A little disappointed...

So I picked up my first Chimera today. I've had an LR for a few months (assembled & painted) and this is the first chance I've actually gotten to compare the Chimera and the Leman Russ side by side so tangibly, and i must say I'm a tad disappointed... the Chimera looks overall like a larger, heavier tank (except of course the fact that the LR is taller but that doesn't mean much -- the Sherman was about as tall as the Tiger). So what's up with that? It just looks strange looking at my LR with its 14 frontal armour and then my larger-looking Chimera with its piddly 12 frontal and 10 side... anyone else feel this way? Now I'm almost FORCED to go and get a Malcador just to have something big in my army (I'm trying to stay away from Baneblades...)

Takka n' Wakka's Dakka Attacka! 33W / 6L / 1D

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

69 (x2)

Chimeras are somewhat larger because they're basically boxes, whereas Russes have all those angles and such. Also, those "things" on the sides of Chimeras contribute to the bulky and more armored look.

But yes, I agree that russes do look kind of small.
    I don't really care for Malcadors that much because they look too unwieldy. Personally I like Machariuses better.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

Personally I prefer the Chimera and think it's the Leman Russ that needs redesigning.
    The Chim looks somewhat like a modern day personnel carrier, but the Russ is much closer to a WWI tank, which is very much out of date. I'd probably make the Russ longer and wider, but lower it by using a version of the Predator turret.
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

[RANT]
    The designs for all imperial tanks in the game are flawed. Tanks are built to have slopped armour and a low chassis so that rounds get deflected off and/or have to travel through more armour (if you don't get this then imagine a plank of wood 12 inch thick, if you go into it at a perpendicular angle you will pass through 12 inches, if you go at 45 degrees then it would travel through aproximately 16.97 inches). Tell me, where in this talk of sloped armour and low chassis does a Land Raider, with a frontal exit point (exit points are weaker then armour sections) that slops THE WRONG WAY (down), fit.

Also, don't you think in the 38000 year of life since the present day tactical nukes (small accurate nukes that fly like a missile and have very little radioactive fallout) would have gotten to a level beyond our own? Thus making tanks like the Baneblade (and armies at all, for that matter) useless (in the modern word, super heavy tanks are ruled out as tactically inflexible and vulnerable to tactical nukes).
    [/RANT]

Sorry about that...

Treadhead with a Chainaxe Kaiser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I love my chimerae and my russes as they are, thank you very much. Sticking to the WW1 designs on the Russ just shows how the Imperium as a whole is resisting change, prefering to stick to the older ways and I find that very fitting for any Imperial army.
    #lochat, irc.quakenet.org
    World Eaters, Kaiser Style < Old thread. No ressurecting!
    Late War Schwere Panzerkompanie, Kaiser Style < Don't ressurect this either.

Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by kroxigor01 View Post
    Also, don't you think in the 38000 year of life since the present day tactical nukes (small accurate nukes that fly like a missile and have very little radioactive fallout) would have gotten to a level beyond our own? Thus making tanks like the Baneblade (and armies at all, for that matter) useless (in the modern word, super heavy tanks are ruled out as tactically inflexible and vulnerable to tactical nukes).
    Take a look at Ogre Miniatures. In that game, every tank, infantryman and hovercraft is firing tactical nukes.
    If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

Its not much use nuking your agri world to get rid of the xenos who are attacking it.
    If the imperium justs wants to kill the enemy, they nuke them or hit them with orbital blasts where possible.
    If they want to take a city, they have to send in the ground pounders.
    That way, when the enemies are gone, you still can live on the land you just fought and died for..

I mean, when USA invade a country they send in men and such, they dont just nuke the place..
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

I agree, i like the Chimera's look, but the LR looks out of date.. New LR model! gogogo
    Takka n' Wakka's Dakka Attacka! 33W / 6L / 1D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad Fact

Sad fact about that is they will probably never change the overall look of the Leman it's too much of an icon of the Imperial Guard, and almost WH40k as a whole. They could make slight changes like setting the doors up right and such but for a complete new look I just can't see them ever doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    I love my chimerae and my russes as they are, thank you very much. Sticking to the WW1 designs on the Russ just shows how the Imperium as a whole is resisting change, prefering to stick to the older ways and I find that very fitting for any Imperial army.
    WWI is hardcore and cool. Its out datedness helps. Already the theme seems kind of medieval. Theres so much war, so much killing, burning heretics and what not. So much violence. WWI in a stereotypical mindset was backwards and just bloody. A lot of fighting, a lot of running into machine guns, mass killings with gas. (All in stereotypical terms, I don't want a WWI expert on my tail!) I think it helps fit with the fluff.

Besides I love that Mark WWI tank. I'd love to play marines soley for the Crusader Land Raider. It just looks so awesome. I recently got to see my first Chimera a week or two ago too. It looks a lot cooler then I thought. I do agree though, it looks like it would be a real AV 14 killer too. Somewhat.

I like the Russ how it is. Dang, I just about like everything how it is.

Communism is fun stuff too. Since when was it a political party? Everyone knows its just a party.

Last edited by Jacaran; November 10th, 2007 at 03:47.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast