Backgroun unit information? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -31 (x0)

Backgroun unit information?

Howdy guys,
    Well, I used to post a bunch on here a long time ago, and I just recently got back into the game. I took my IG army (mechanized, 2000) to a tournament today, the first time they've been played in a long time. I did ok, lost once, drew once, won once. I guess that's average. Pretty good for not playing for 4 months.

So, I've really been looking at finish my army, and just making it pop. I've got most of it painted (about 80%), but no decals or anything. I'm a good painter, so I think if I finish all of the models, it will be pretty sweet. Also, decals just help amazingly, regardless of what army, as does a good series of bases.

But aside from asthetics, I'd like to make my army pop in the fluff catagory. I'd almost like to make it my own personal cult, if that makes sense. Basically, I'd like to write a whole bunch of fluff about it. But I have no clue where to start. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this. I need some help with the following things:

Sample planet or system names, like 'cadian', or 'valhalan'....
    Regiment/army number or designation
    And then some cool story about the founders of the regiment.

I'm really open to any suggestions. Some things about the army - The paint scheme is an arid grey, with a little brown and olive green, a really grungy scheme, with some crisp white markings. I have 10 vehicles in the army, and every troop is mounted/deepstriking.

So, please, just toss out ideas, I'd be greatly thankful to anybody!

TSg.t Zakarius Clay
    142nd Cadian, Stationed Planet Skyfall B
    4th Brigade, 1st Battalion, 1st Co.
    'The Pathfinders', Drop Team - 6

Pssst.... give me kudos....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

Well, that's quite an open-ended question and basically you're asking people to think up fluff for you (I know that's not your intention).. and the best way to do that would probably be to reflect the fluff we've got for our own, and maybe give you ideas that way.

For my force, I've developed this story of them being from a fringe system on the frontiers with the Tau Empire. This system contains three habital planets -- a highly urbanized city planet, a minor Forgeworld, and an agri world; Rzhev, Sychevka, and Vyazma. Being on the edge of Tau space, they had many dealings with the Tau -- sometimes cordial, but eventually, during one of the Tau's expansions, they came under attack (after having refused to give in to the "Greater Good"). Their disorganized forces lost, and they came under a brief occupation, after a few years of which they rebelled and launched a system-wide guerilla war against their occupiers. Likewise, the Imperium began an offensive in the sector -- this coupled with the insurgency drove the Tau out of the system.

However, victory was soon met with another occupation -- Imperial forces, rather than coming as victorious liberators, demanded harsh tithes in the form of massive resource deals and conscription. Newly-strengthened by their rebellion against the Tau, the people rose up once again and cast off the weak Imperial occupation. Most of the time, such an act of heresy would be met with immediate invasion and cleansing -- however, the war with the Tau raged on, and the Imperium, for the time being atleast, had more important things to worry about than a battered, minor Forgeworld and a few billion rebels.

So there they lie, stuck inbetween the war between the Tau and the Imperium, safeguarded, even, by the conflict which has, for the time being, let them avoid attention. They hate the Tau as much (if not more) as they hate the Imperium -- while they see the latter as an insanely brutal totalitarian dictatorship bent on enforcing an insane cult, they see in the Tau Empire a fascist society of complete social and economic hegemony. So, for the time being, they have carved out their own little livelihood in the dangerous fringes of civilization. Fittingly, they have instituted as social-democratic political system, whereby almost all functions of the whole of society are determined by universal suffrage.

Gameplay-wise, being so cut-off from the rest of the Imperium (and every other race), and having only a single minor Forgeworld (damaged by years of back-and-forth occupation and insurgency), they can not field the more exotic technologies; Plasma is off-limits, Lascannons are rare, as are power weapons. They have no capacity to create Sentinels and in the previous wars, all have been destroyed (conveniently, since I hate Sentinels). There's a high percentage of Light Infantry, though they have been developing a more conventional, mechanized army.

So basically, there's lots of things to consider when carving out a little space of your own. Where is your Regiment from? Who are their neighbours? And what effect would those neighbours have on their historical development? You mentioned Persnality Cult -- for whom, the Emperor or someone else (perhaps a local planetary governor has becomea little over-zealous and big-headed, and has turned his planet into his own personal Empire)? Hope my little mini-novel has helped.
    Takka n' Wakka's Dakka Attacka! 33W / 6L / 1D

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x3)

Come up with an idea, and make it evolve. Dig around you'll see that I've got about 4 different threads of my army. But its different each time. I built up the idea that they were farmers. What are farmers good at? Fighting, inovation, and taking stuff in stride. What are they bad at, listening to command, trusting aliens, and hate war. So build on it.
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -31 (x0)

Ok...

I'm liking the idea of a guard commander from a mechanized unit, being used by the adeptus mechanicus as a probing force for an expeditionary force. The Adeptus Mechanicus are looking for a long lost forgeworld somewhere deep in southern space. They find the forgeworld, and incedentally, a human setlement on a planet roughly the size of terra, but with only a third the population. The technology there is similar to that of the industrial revolution (primitive automobiles, no flying machines, no modern medecine).

With the permission of the guard command in a nearby sector this imperial commander (probably a captain, or Senior officer equivalent) starts to train a force, in order to protect the recently found forgeworld, and economicly efficient planet. So, It's a newly formed regiment, but well trained. It's a mix of the guard companies brought on the expeditionary force, and a large number of locals, conscripted into the force. The weapons used are autoguns, as they are easily manufactured by the planets already existing infrastructure, slightly modified by the mechanicum. Vehicles are abundant, and all infantry in the specific company that I command are mounted, with a large number of tanks and sentiles as well as transports. The armor worn into battle by all soldiers is a hodge-podge mix up of modern stormtrooper armor, old stormtrooper armor, retrieved from the forgeworld, and some carapace-equivalent armor that has been crafted from the new planet's manufactoriums. It is gothic, and resembles stormtrooper armor, but has a more classic fling (warzone infantry, if you have seen those)..

So is taht plausible, or too far flung?
    TSg.t Zakarius Clay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -31 (x0)

bump
    TSg.t Zakarius Clay

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x3)

You've been around you should know bumps are annoying.. haha... I found its really effective to make your unit a company of the regiment.. My regiment is the 26th Vinancium.. But the armies I have are the 143rd and the 159th company and the 69th armored company.. so along those lines you don't have to worry about people saying.... "well regiments have 10,000 men in them so your fluff sucks"
    Three Companies of the 26th Vinancium
    143rd Airborne Badgers (99.9% done)
    159th Corsair Rifles (35% done))
    69th Armored Wall Busters (95% done)

Total 197 men, 12 tanks, 4 Heavy Artillery Pieces

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Well, as others have said, asking us to supply fluff for an army that will suit your tastes is like taking us to Baskin Robbins and asking us to buy you a bowl of your favorite ice cream. How can we possibly know what that is?

Basically, the simplest rule of creativity is to use the real world to inspire you. Go through Web sites, or dare I say it, actual BOOKS about wars, warfare and warriors from history. Where do you think "real" IG armies came from? The Vostroyans and Valhallans look/sound like Russians. The Mordians look German. The Tallarn resemble WWI-era arabs in northern Africa. The Catachan look like GIs in Vietnam. Think that was an accident?

Also, I think starting with the home planet is a good beginning. What do you imagine the world is like? What appeals to you? Grassland? Swamps? Frozen Tundra? Scorched Desert? Thinking about who would live on the planet you choose and why will often write your fluff for you.

As for names, go here (Clicky!) and look at the top left side. Click on "Settings" and scroll down till you find the "Planet Name Generator."

Just don't choose "Dyeshr," or I'll have to come after you. That's the name of my Marines' homeworld
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have said the Mordians look more like US marines in dress armour, while the old metal cadians look like ww2 Germans...

For guardy I just based my army upon my own armoured recce unit, the North Irish Horse so my grenadier army became the North Cadian Horse. But each to their own. It's not like GW have left you with too few options with millions of imperial controlled worlds out there to base your army on any possible environment.

ISIS Secret Agent Squishy mpdscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x7)

You could always base the fluff of your army on that from another game system, but just "adjust" it for 40K. No-one would be able to recognise it if you were to use a unit from, say Battletech, and altered for less of a "big robot" feel. Take a unit name, combat style and unit "personality" and try to match it with IG doctrines.
    Mysterious Member of the ANZAC Clan

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast