Counterattack Command Squad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counterattack Command Squad

Hey All

I was just wondering on your opinions on running a suped up comand squad for counterattack, probably an office w/power wep/fist,, a priest w/evisarator and some combat guardsmen.

Obviously this would work best with a rather static list and not in large points games, since one such squad won't do all that much in such big games.

So what do you all think?

Please note this all totally hypothetical, I don't play guard, and I won't have the mula/time anytime soon.

Peace

Hitokiri.

Aku Soku Zan - Swift Death To Evil

I am the Bringer of Torment, the Ender of All, all shall fall befo - oohh look, Cake!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri View Post
    Hey All

I was just wondering on your opinions on running a suped up comand squad for counterattack, probably an office w/power wep/fist,, a priest w/evisarator and some combat guardsmen.

Obviously this would work best with a rather static list and not in large points games, since one such squad won't do all that much in such big games.

So what do you all think?

Please note this all totally hypothetical, I don't play guard, and I won't have the mula/time anytime soon.

Peace

Hitokiri.
    I run a counter attack command squad in my skitarii, and there are many things to take into account.

I play a mixed army - it tends to be fairly static, although it is also good on the move, and it does the most damage over the 12" range mark, so I'm often getting up close. But you are correct - a counter assault command squad does work best (in my experiance anyway) with a more static army. If you have to move the command squad towards your opponent, you are probably going to lose it, well, in most cases. Even when trying to protect it. This is less the case in cities of death, however, with all that cover.

First you have to pick the style of assault command squad you plan on using. Is it going to hide? If its a counter assault unit, this is the best bet.

Will you take a heavy weapon? Generally not a good idea - especially if you take a priest (as I do), which negates the use of a heavy weapon. If you dont take a priest, I would advise only to take a mortar, that way the squad can still take part in the battle before you are required to counter assault with them.

But anyways, I would advise taking a cheap as chips officer, junior only, powersword at most. As he is an independant character, he can be picked out in hth, and if you send lots of points on him, he WILL be picked out and killed before he has a chance to do anything. If you are worried about ld, take a standard bearer - its much better value than promoting him anyway.

Then there's the advisors. This is where the true effectiveness of this style of squad comes into play - as advisors are merely part of the squad, they cannot be picked out like independant characters. Effectively, they are 'hidden' weapons.

First option is a santioned psyker. People often look down on this choice - you should read the other recent thread on this topic for some opinions about this one. I personally like to take one from time to time. I give him a force weapon, Honorifica Imperialis Mundanus, and frag grenades, which are a must. This guy can, with a bit of luck, kill enemy characters and other heavy HTH hitters outright. Just make sure he is placed well - btb if possible, and take away the normal guardsmen first as casualties. Some people say he is a waste of points like this, and often in some lists he probably would be. But its all about how you play the game.

Second is a priest. I love this choice. Give him an eviscerator, and BAM you have a crazy killer of enemy dreadnoughts and the like. Hidden two handed chainfist anyone? I even charged a stompa the other day, managed to do a fair bit of solid damage before he was counter assaulted by 3 killa kans. His abilty to allow re-rolls for the whole squad can be invaluable also. Just remember him limitations too - no heavy weapons, no shooting long range, and you HAVE to charge if you can. These things aren't really limitations in my book, seeing as I take all laspistols/ccw anyway.

Third is commissar. I have almost no experiance with these with my main army (not really fluffy in a skitarii army, I'm sure I could think up an equivalent if I tried though). But they do sound good on paper - a hidden powerfist would be their best use, in my mind. I'm not so sure about the whole 'executing' of your officer if he failes a Ld test, however - I have a reputation of rolling 11's for most of my Ld tests! But with the cheap as chips officer I meantioned earlier, i'm sure thats not too much of a problem.

I have used commissars with my cadians though, especially the whole 50 man conscript + independant commissar this, and that works well - although thats for another thread (and you can find many debiting this if you search).

Last is the equipment for the grunts. I keep 'em cheap, as they have a tendancy to die quick as the meat shields they should be. Maybe take a medic, seeing as it can still be effective in the first round of hth (just keep him out of btb!), but normally the only upgrade I take is a standard bearer. That, and I give em all laspistols/ccw, for the once in a lifetime kill Maybe a single meltagun, just in case.

Wow. I can ramble on. Probably boring too. Maybe I should just delete it? I mean, it doesn't even properly address the issue? Nar. [clicks 'submit reply']
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's a great idea to use a commadn squad for counter attack. Althoguh I usually do a grenadier doctrine and take all storm troopers as troops so i end up having only 20 to 30 models making up my troops.

I like your idea for the fun of it and i have tried similar in the past. It's a good way to have that last bit to throw at an advancing enemy when the static firebase doesn't totally decimate him.

I like using kasrkins(storm troopers) in conjunction though. I suppose one could put a power fist in a hardened vet squad..

-Officer: Pwr Wpn, Plas Pistol
    -Vet: Medic
    -3 Guardsmen: Flamer, 2 Meltaguns
    -Priest: Eviscerator
    -Commissar: Power Fist, Plas Pistol
    gets pricey for a guard command.

I'm not sure if I'd give an honorifica to an officer, or make him HSO, if i was going to use this squad.

I;m also not heavy on advisors....
    Imperial Guard Variants 69/20/9
    Space Wolves 17/16/2
    I.G. Armoured Company 7/3/2
    Deamonhunters 1/2/1
    I.G. BFG 0/1/2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 2000pts Army's Command Squad:
    Expensive, but effective. Always makes up its points or more from enemies that hits my lines. Note you dont have to buy everyone carapace armour to make a 4+ sav squad. Just 4 out of the 7 men, being a majority, and saving you 15 points.;o
    H.Q SQUAD (280pts)
    Heroic Senior Officer-Power Weapon, with trademark item, and medallion crimson and bolt pistol and carapace armour (106pts)
    3 veterans, with laspistols and close combat weapons
    1 Veteran Company Standard bearer with carapace armour with laspistol and close combat weapon
    Sanctioned Psyker-Honorfica Imperialis, force weapon, and carapace armour
    Commissar- Power fist, bolt pistol and carapace armour
    FRAG GRENADES

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator100 View Post
    My 2000pts Army's Command Squad:
    Expensive, but effective. Always makes up its points or more from enemies that hits my lines. Note you dont have to buy everyone carapace armour to make a 4+ sav squad. Just 4 out of the 7 men, being a majority, and saving you 15 points.;o
    H.Q SQUAD (280pts)
    Heroic Senior Officer-Power Weapon, with trademark item, and medallion crimson and bolt pistol and carapace armour (106pts)
    3 veterans, with laspistols and close combat weapons
    1 Veteran Company Standard bearer with carapace armour with laspistol and close combat weapon
    Sanctioned Psyker-Honorfica Imperialis, force weapon, and carapace armour
    Commissar- Power fist, bolt pistol and carapace armour
    FRAG GRENADES
    You know, maybe you should try replacing the commissar with a priest/eviscerator. The cost is very similar, but you dont have to worry about losing your officer, and you get all those re-rolls on the charge.

Just a thought.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't you read his righteous fury rule? His ws and bs is also lower than the commisar, along with Leadership and wounds.
    P.S. I wouldn't lose my officer. (Leadership 10+ company standard + trademark item. You would have to be rediculously unlucky to lose him.
    Last edited by Imperator100; December 3rd, 2007 at 12:09.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Righteous fury is not really a problem if you keep the squad back. Having a priest rather than a commisar can really really boost the combat potential of a unit. I had a friend who used them in a mech grenadier army. basically he ended up with a priest in a normal squad which then ends up as his bodyguard. He managed to counter assault a vicous tyranid army and do a hell of a lot of damage, that isnt even with a command squad backing him up.

Also imperator have you ever thought of giving your vets bolt pistols? cheap and very effective.

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

to be honest IG loaded combat HQs have their uses but it is at its best in combat patrols or slightly higher games, after 750 points your opponent will have assault units that can get to it and deal with it, that said, even then I am not overly impresses with how effective it is as a use of points, although it does work
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, but priests take up a doctrine slot; UNACCEPTABLE!!!!:rofl
    I don't take bolt pistols as my whole army is WYSIWYG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator100 View Post
    Yea, but priests take up a doctrine slot; UNACCEPTABLE!!!!:rofl
    I don't take bolt pistols as my whole army is WYSIWYG
    that is the one downside with taking the priest. It will cost you a doctrine point. But if you still have room for it take it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast