Marine Heavy Support Opinions? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hail Servant sof the Emperor:

Ok so here is my dilemma...I normally play fun games at the various shops/houses/wherever's around my area. So In my experience with Sm tanks(The Landraider/Waste of points), Have not proven as good as the Devestators.

But I am off ot my First Grand Tournament in Houston and find myself lendign thougth to the most common bit of advice I get...In tourney Armies...Numbers win battles. And as all you fellow SM players know...Dev squads are expensive like nothing other than Terminators.

So my problem becomes creating a 'Take on all Comers' army with numbers. Invariably, I have played other SM Players and have seen The Predator at work. So...in the Intrest of shaving points for more models and other etc...stuff. I find myself leaning towards giving up my Anti armor Dev Squad( 4 Lascannon's/or 2 Lascannons,2 Rocket Launchers), in preference to a cheaper Twin Linked, sponson mounted Lascannon's one less shot...yes, but it can move and shoot as well as survie weaker weapons and cost ing ALOT less.

What do you fellow SM players think?

As well..I am open to suggestions for other advice/Configurations:

As far as Dev Squads I have about..
    8-9 Missile Launcher Marines
    3 Heavy Bolter Marines
    3 Plasma cannon Marines(anti CSM,NEcron)
    4 Lascannon Marines
    1 Multi Melta Marine

What do you all think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x3)

it all depends on what chapter you use. i'd use the drop pods rule and only take dreadnoughts and speeders. that way you'd be able to close in with the enemy fast, and forget about having to take tanks. you could give assault squads meltabombs and just blow the hell out of tanks on your next turn, or get more multi-meltas and put that one to good use.

Member of the Fluffmasters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

devastators, contarary to popular belief, are quite versitile and are not to be used for long range alone. i personally take the non-mixed heavy wepons squads. if im hunting lots of vehicles, i take 4 lascannons to a squad, lots of high armor troops, i take 4 plasma cannons, and when im facing numbers 4 heavy bolters in a rhino, and if im in dire need of tank hunting ability, a rhno with 4 multi meltas.

But, one thing to remember when taking devastators, ALWAYS USE 8-10 MAN SQUADS OR ELSE THEY DIE QUiCK!
    Quote of the week: "dude, for a whole hour, i would fall asleep!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your gonna make one list for the tournament and are set on devastators, I'd go with a 10-man squad with 4 missile launchers. It's really the most versatile of the dev weapons. Plasma cannons are great also, but sooo expensive.

I think the best heavy choice for my chapter, Blood Angels, is a dreadnought armed with either a plasma cannon or TL autocannon and a missile launcher. Dreadnoughts are better than devastators in BA armies because they can black rage and still fire their weapons. I also use a 'baal' class predator when going against tyranid or orc armies. Whatever you do, don't go overboard on heavies. Most of your points should be in troops, with maybe one elite and one heavy. Remember, you get points for composition and paint.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dovetailing here, it actually depends on the rest of your army. Use HS to compliment your troops weaknesses or your other HS options. For instance, if you have lots of bolters in troops and need that extra firepower against powerarmor, take the plascans. If your troops all have lascan/plasgun and are in lascan/plasgun razorbacks, take heavy bolters or missile launchers. Generally, for all-comers armies, plascans or MLs are the best choice, because of their versatility. Lascans are ALMOST useless against a footslogging army like 'nids, except for taking out Carnifices and Tyrants and such, and once you've done that, they waste their time popping gaunts and such. Likewise, HBs are almost useless against powerarmor. So I'd go with plascans or MLs.
    OMFG1337!!!!111one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Well, I may just be crazy, but I prefer tanks, but you need at least 3 to be very effective.

Tanks are cheaper, have equal or more firepower, can move and shoot with said firepower, are immune to basic weaponry, will not necessarily die if hit by big, scary weapons, and can tranport troops sometimes. Did I mention that they were cheaper?

I run 3 Rhinos, a Dreadnought, 2 Speeders, a Predator Annihilator, and a Whirlwind in 2000 points, and with this kind of saturation, many foes will find it difficult to pick a target to focus their fire on, so usually spread it out, resulting in very little damage.

Plus, without the big stompy dreads and big clankey tanks, it just wouldn't be 40k
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I field 4 missles in my dev squad and it proves to be quite effective, but why stop at just a dev squad or tanks? Take both, i also field a pred anni lascannon style and yes, a whirlwind. I just got the whirlwind so it hasn't seen much action and I can't really praise it all that much (75 pts!!&#33 but I love a heavy, shooty SM army.

Yes heavy units make good targets but not if you rush the enemy with infantry. Depends how you play. If you are better assulting, take a heavy choice that can eliminate and thin out the enemy before your infantry get there. Heavy bolters, plasma cannons in a dev squad. Of course you will encounter armour so add a lascannon or missle for good measure. Take a dred with a t-l lascannon as well with CCW.

If you play more shooty, try my heavy combonation. Just sit back and cut them appart from a distance while scouts and TAC squads flank them from one side, and landspeeders flank from the other. If you really want to get crazy with numbers Chapter_Master_Faust_Vermillion, try 3 dev squads, say 8 man squads with 3 heavy weapons each (in order to cut down on pts):
    - 2 missle, lascannon
    - 2 plasma, missle
    - 2 heavy bolter, missle
    ...and you will know my name is the lord, when I strike down my vengence upon thee...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many points is the tournament? If it is 2000 take as many choices as possible, I would go with a whirlwind, a devastator-squad, and a predator. I think that this would be good as you can have your devastators with missile-launchers so you can take down tanks and infantry. A predator with heavy bolter sponsons and an auto-cannon for anti-infantry, lascannon sponsons and twin lascannons for heavy armour, and a whirlwind so that you can blast away from a distance and take out many people with your ordenance. Or better yet (in my opinion) take a vindicator, decent front armour, and an amazingly high strength ordenence weapon which will destroy pretty much anything (other tanks included) under the template. If nothing else, it will draw away most of your enemy's firepower

~good luck
    What doesn't kill you, cripples you for life

Whoever invented the Rubix Cube had a sick and twisted sense of humor

I will not eat oysters, i want my food dead, not sick, not wounded, dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, my freinds uses devestatros with missile launchers, and they do a agreat job...
    also, if you have a assault army, try using a vindicator rank. his demolisher canon is great, but his real role is making every enemy heavy weapon shoot at him, and he does that very well... if he survives first turn, and if he gets in range hes awsome, but that doesnt happan alot...
    "There are only two infinate things in the world, the Universe and Humen Stupidity, and i'm not sure about the Universe"- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At a grand tournament I say missile launchers all round. For a tournament you know nothing about your opponent and you have to be prepared for anything and everything. So take the esay way out. Take the weapon that can do it all. The missile launcher can shoot a blast template or a big anti-tank/bug missile. Take four in a squad of 10 is what I say. All round take on anything goodness.
    Anything can burn if you try hard enough.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast