Carapace Armor opinion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carapace Armor opinion

A buddy of mine is trying to advise me to not give Carapace Armor to my Officers and Vet Sgts because of the "Mixed Armor" rules. Any opinions on that?

Colonel Brennen Ironfist
    Imperial Guard Commander

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Don't use carapace armor unless you're taking it as a doctrine for the whole army.
    If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

qsd
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    69 (x2)

Carapace can be useful on officers with power weapons. Otherwise don't take it unless its the doctrine.
    There is no such thing as a plea for innocence in my court. A plea for innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty.
    - Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um… perhaps I have missed something, but the mixed armor rules seem to be all the more reason to give carapace armor to models that have access to the armory. Not only would the better save help keep them alive, but the mixed armor rules would mean that wounds would have to first be allocated to the other squad members with lower saves before the carapace armored models, as long as the models with lower saves were still in the majority.

That having been said, I don’t think it is necessary or cost effective to put Vet. Sergeants in infantry line squads.
    Cry woe, destruction, ruin and decay;
    The worst is death, and death will have his day.

-Shakespeare; King Richard II

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

i think I have to agree

I think I have to agree with the last comment. If you take carapace armour for an officer then he gains an armour save against a pile of weapons and better still incoming hits must first be allocated to other members of his unit. For 5 points, protecting an HSO who is worth, unarmed, more than 40 seems like a good idea to me!

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

The thing with it is that you have to allocate hits to the officer or sarge. If you just rolled for the squad then you get to take off anyone thus effectively allocating all of the hits to the non officer models. Say yo are hit with five hits well oyu owudl have to allocate one to the officer who then might be the one not to make the save. I say better to not waste points buy him something offensive or even get another vet sarge somewhere and some stormbolter/ bolter goodness!

A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

as com said, this is rather conveluted but:
    yes at first galnce, you get a better save, woo wooo

However, if I take 5 hits on a squad and the officer does not ahve carapace armour, then I get take 5 saves, if I make any of them, the officer stays alive (pretty good chance)

If I take 5 hits on a squad and the officer has carapace, then I must identify which hit is on the officer and roll it seperately, 50/50 chance of a wound

Not this only applies to shooting, in combat, the officer being an IC, is a seperate unit

Also note that the second and third para imply "dont take carapace armour" - not so, carapace is very usefull against many opponents, whose small arms are AP5

But If you want carapace, I would recomend, as someone pointed out earlier, taking ti as a doctrine rather than war gear for characters
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

carapace is quite useful. I play Tau mostly and the Tau troop choices really do not have any weapon choices so my carapace armour keeps me safe most of the time against AP. I will advice you not to give the vet sgt carapace armour though unless your getting the doctrine.

Formerly BrotherAzriel Horus Lupercal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    138 (x6)

i wouldent bother for line infantry squads but i would for officers, you could put it in your fluff too, they could have it as a symbol of their rank or something along those lines.
    PROUD TO BE IN THE BRITISH ARMY.
    ~~ Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death~~

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

In CC, the carapace armor would be worth it except you aren't very likely to survive CC as a general rule. Probably wasted points except against Tyranids.

In shooting, if I recall correctly, once your officer has a wound then he needs to take the following wounds until he is killed since the rules for multiple wounds do not allow you to spread out damage.

Either way, I don't see much benefit. If it's your fluff then go ahead--there are worse things.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast