Defeating Powergaming IG? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Red Jack Malicious's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defeating Powergaming IG?

I would like to know the best way to fight the Imperial Guard in an apocalypse battle. My regular opponent has lots of tanks. Chimeras, Leman Russes, and plenty of sentinels.

My funds are limited, but I would like to know what the best tactics are for a mostly infantry army against an army focused on tank power. Any advice would be appreciated, whether it is tabletop tactics or tips on expansion. I am considering a few Daemon Hunter Allies, but I would like an outside opinion on that, too.

I play the Blood Angels chapter, with the following list:

(All squads are quite well equipped.)

HQ:
    1 Commander
    1 Librarian

Elites:
    1 Dreadnought
    1 Death Squad (Six Soldiers, Terminator Chaplain)
    1 Scout Squad
    1 Terminator Assault Squad
    1 Terminator Squad

Troops:
    5 Tactical Squads
    4 Assault Squads

Heavy Support:
    1 Predator Annihilator
    1 Devastator Squad

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I shall use all of my armies to their fullest power.
    My Angels are a sword to cut my own path.
    My Orks are a hammer to crush my enemies.
    Fear me, for I shall rule this Galaxy by my own Hand.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Jack Malicious View Post
    I would like to know the best way to fight the Imperial Guard in an apocalypse battle. My regular opponent has lots of tanks. Chimeras, Leman Russes, and plenty of sentinels.

My funds are limited, but I would like to know what the best tactics are for a mostly infantry army against an army focused on tank power. Any advice would be appreciated, whether it is tabletop tactics or tips on expansion. I am considering a few Daemon Hunter Allies, but I would like an outside opinion on that, too.

I play the Blood Angels chapter, with the following list:

(All squads are quite well equipped.)

HQ:
    1 Commander
    1 Librarian

Elites:
    1 Dreadnought
    1 Death Squad (Six Soldiers, Terminator Chaplain)
    1 Scout Squad
    1 Terminator Assault Squad
    1 Terminator Squad

Troops:
    5 Tactical Squads
    4 Assault Squads

Heavy Support:
    1 Predator Annihilator
    1 Devastator Squad

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    I can give you a few tips, but some more information from you would be helpful. How big are your squads? Are they 5 or 10 space marines? What weapons do you have in your devastator squad? Do you use the combat squad rule for them?

For Blood Angels, I would suggest focussing on your jump-pack squads. Give them melta bombs and they will make a mockery of his tanks. All your terminators look intimidating, but in practice, they can drag you down because of all the points they soak up. How do you deliver your assault termies into battle? Do they deep strike? Do you find that to be successful for you?

For your tactical squads I suggest either rhino rush or drop pod assault. Imperial Guard will cry in their fox holes if you start dropping pods 2 inches from their lines. USE THE DROP PODS TO BLOCK LINE OF SIGHT FOR HIS HEAVY WEAPONS AND TO PROTECT YOUR TACTICAL SQUADS.

I also suggest getting a Baal Predator (or two!) and stacking it with heavy bolter sponsons. It will annihilate IG squads and sentinels and can threaten any of his tanks. You may also consider an attack bike with a multi-melta (or two!). These are ultra-useful for killing tanks.

The trick is to get in his lines as fast as possible and give melta bombs to your assault squads. Also don't make your squads too expensive, more models is better!

Cheers!
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i agree with 4theEmperor, mobility is your best weapon against guard. Against powergaming IG in my city, i usually combine pods with rhinos. put meltaguns in the pods because they'll be landing close enough to pop a tank at point blank. If possible, have your pods come down in the same area. You can effectively create a wall of drop pods and block line of sight from the Leman russ'. This will frustrate the guard player as now his most valuable tanks cant shoot at your advancing rhinos. Make sure your rhinos have smokes and extra armor. Since you're trying to beat guard, a baal pred will be great for mowing down enemy infantry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

Lots of melta guns, bombs are harder to use. Give every vet unit a meltagun and melta bomb and give all assualt squads p/fists. Let your Baals and D/company rip through them on there way to the juicey centre (if your vets haven't beaten them there )

If you have the points get Lascannons and ML's in your Dev's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you put melta guns into your squads and they are foot slogging against ig you won't even gets close. You will have a better chance for drop pods. However a scout squad with rocket launcher if you get first turn can do you well giving you a chance to blow up a tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

73 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseman View Post
    If you put melta guns into your squads and they are foot slogging against ig you won't even gets close. You will have a better chance for drop pods. However a scout squad with rocket launcher if you get first turn can do you well giving you a chance to blow up a tank.
    Here I was thinking he was a Blood Angel... we don't walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your assault squads should be fine without the meltabombs as they automatically have krak grenades and hopefully a powerfist.
    maybe try changing up the chaplain in the death company and getting them some jump packs.
    My armies are studly!
    W/D/L
    Empire 25/1/2
    chaos 8/0/2
    Hyrulian Knights 7/3/1

Take the fight to them
    Have faith is suspician

(\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Junior Member Red Jack Malicious's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Footslogging

My troops are in five-man squads to maximize maneuverability. (and minimize ordnance casualties)

My lack of tanks forces most of my Tactical squads to walk while the assault squads (which are finally a troops choice. 8Y) jump right in the middle of the action.

I do need to get some bikes and/or landspeeders, and I'm seriously considering the Baal Predator.

I definitely need to start modding some models and adding meltabombs to my vets.
    I shall use all of my armies to their fullest power.
    My Angels are a sword to cut my own path.
    My Orks are a hammer to crush my enemies.
    Fear me, for I shall rule this Galaxy by my own Hand.

+ Reply to Thread