Radicals - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radicals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radicals

Just starting Daemonhunters so I've been browsing the army lists. I see a lot of pure grey knigths lists, a lot of grey knights with inducted imperial guard, but seems to be quite a bit fewer radical lists.

My question is, can radical lists win regularly? I like the idea of running with no grey knights because i like the more human elements and also i don't like the figures of them all that much.

However, if i don't include them am i hamstringing myself into failure? I like the fluff elements of a renegade Inquisitor and his storm troopers rampageing, but is it workable?

In the Castle of Pain on a Mountain of Skulls I sat on a Throne of Blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of Evil!

- Vigo the Carpathian

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Don't like the GK models?! ;o
    Heretic!

Playing radical can be viable, but only if you're willing to induct IG or Space Marines into the list. And Space Marines would be better, as using that option is the only way you can use all three heavy support slots. Using IG, at best, you can get two HS choices. Besides, Marines can fulfill far more tactical roles than IG.

And you'd do even better to also, or alternatively, take on Sisters of Battle allied units from the Witch Hunters. Without both inducting and using allied WH, you can't use all your Fast Attack slots either.

Grey Knights units are more than half the codex. There is just no way to play pure DH -- radical. You need to grab all you can from other sources to compensate. Pure Inquisitor and ISTs, with or without assassins and/or daemonhosts, is just not a viable army. Fluffy and fun, but not competitive in any way.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of taking daemon hosts and assasins, and useing some imperial guard stuff. Haven't sat down to make an army list yet. THe daemon hosts look good to me, and i know you can't take GK with daemon hosts, which is what got me interested in useing a non GK force.

That and I know the GK are soo pround about none of them falling to chaos, but i wanted to use a chaosy inquisitor for my own lil story.
    In the Castle of Pain on a Mountain of Skulls I sat on a Throne of Blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of Evil!

- Vigo the Carpathian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing without my GKs for some time now by adding in IST and inducting AF and sentinels. Personally, I like the change. I can can lay down comperable (if not better) amounts of firepower from my guard and since my army fluff deters me from using vehicles outside of chimeras and sentinels, I find that having 10 IST tends to work just as good as I can expect a leman russ.
    I've also tried the daemonhost (via proxy) and found it to be very erratic. to the very least though it (for me) tends to suck up 4-5 of my enemy units' shooting.

All in all, I have three things to say:
    1.go for it! Radical Inquisitors are so much more fun to write fluff for.
    2. good luck!
    and 3.tell me how it goes for you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really have the experience or models to say if this would work or not, but I imagine it would be very fun to try a mechanized radical list with Inquisitors mounted in Land Raiders, Daemonhosts, and mounted IST. Using the LR transport option of the INQ gives you a sort-of HS choice.

HQ (~450 pts) INQ Lord w/ Psycannon, 3 HB Gun Servitors, 2 Sages, & Mystic mounted in a LR
    E1 (265) 3 Daemonhosts
    E2 (~310 pts) INQ w/ Psycannon & 1 Sage mounted in a LR
    T1 (~158 pts) 8 IST w/ HVY weapons in a Rhino w/ EA; S
    T2 (~158 pts) 8 IST w/ HVY weapons in a Rhino w/ EA; S
    T3 (~158 pts) 8 IST w/ HVY weapons in a Rhino w/ EA; S

~1500 points

I recall that someone on this board or another had a 'Tank Police' Arbites list that did very well. You could also use an allied WH INQ and not stray too far from a pure DH list.
    Last edited by Marid; January 7th, 2008 at 10:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

The main problem with a winnable Radical list, IMO, is the main troop choice. GKs are one of the best troop choices, while for the points, IST's are quite poor. The best way ti equip them is with a Chimera, and two Plasma Guns.

Playing Radicals can also be quite 'Random', which is part of the fun. It is hard to make a consistantly competative army where your effectiveness is determined by a D6. (Deamonhosts). Of course there are many armies that play quite as 'fun' as a Radical Deamonhunter list:drinking:
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

well, I don't see Radical DH work as well as normal DH could, but you certainly have to get hem from outside the book probably. Your anti-tank capabilities are even more not existent because you cannot take any dreads. The only reliable think to use from the book, is melta(bombs).

Induct some Space Marines or Guards, what makes your happy.
    Marines give acces to some Land Speeders, and Dread.
    Guards give acces to Leman Russ and Sentinals.

When inducting Marines, you could use the marines to shoot, why you use Strom troopers to perform mission objectives or support. Rhino of Chimera makes them more capable at this. Marines make good static fire platforms with lascannon or missle launcher.

When inducting Guards, you probably won't use Stormtroopers. A lot of guards can pottentially make a lot of fatalities on the opponent side, with the right weapons. You can't give them special drills though...

But more importantly, is just to have fun. Playing Radical can be fun, but victory is hard I think. My guess is to stay on the mission objectives to win.
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Xilconic View Post

When inducting Guards, you probably won't use Stormtroopers. A lot of guards can pottentially make a lot of fatalities on the opponent side, with the right weapons. You can't give them special drills though...

But more importantly, is just to have fun. Playing Radical can be fun, but victory is hard I think. My guess is to stay on the mission objectives to win.
    I presume you mean you won't induct /imperial guard/ stormtroopers. If you're in the DH codex, and a radical, Inquisitorial Storm Troopers are pretty much the only required troop unit choice you have left for the FOC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I'd suggest taking a Guard grenadier army and inducting an Inquisitor if you want the rogue Inquisitor and his stormtrooper buddies running around.

1) You get access to doctrines.
    2) Grenadiers are better than stormtroopers for the same points.
    3) You have all those lovely guardey elements you can't get in the Inquisition list.

On the downside, you're restricted in how much Inquisition stuff you can take, but meh.. It's a tradeoff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giant_Mantis View Post
    I'd suggest taking a Guard grenadier army and inducting an Inquisitor if you want the rogue Inquisitor and his stormtrooper buddies running around.

1) You get access to doctrines.
    2) Grenadiers are better than stormtroopers for the same points.
    3) You have all those lovely guardey elements you can't get in the Inquisition list.

On the downside, you're restricted in how much Inquisition stuff you can take, but meh.. It's a tradeoff.
    This is how I run radicals as well. Without posting specific restrictions (due to posting rules) I can say that this allows you an Inquisitor and, if desired, a Daemonhost. While you wouldn't be able to take an assassin without dropping the Daemonhost, it's an acceptable tradeoff for making the Daemonhunters allies to the Imperial Guard, rather then the other way around. You get access to doctorines (as mentioned above) a greater diversity of options for troops, fast attack, and heavy support, and the potential to round out your army with lots of meatshields. All for the cost of a junior officer and an HQ slot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast