Two questions about Rhinos and deepstriking.... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two questions about Rhinos and deepstriking....

Hi all, I'm a new player (and relatively new to the forums) and reading through the DH codex and the rulebook, a couple of questions have come up that I hoped you could help with.

The first is how the deepstrike rule is used when deepstriking a unit based on the teleport homer of a IST vet in a rhino? Do I have to make a circle around the transport, or do I get to put them on any one side around the first man in?

The follow up to this question is whether smoke deployed by a rhino would count as cover for a unit that deepstrikes next to the Rhino? I ask because the cover rules in the rule book list a 6+ cover save for bushes and tall grass, which while obscuring vision like smoke, would be equally useless against bullets as smoke. Of course this one isn't so important as a 6+ cover save is only ~17% shot anyway.

I ask about this because the idea occurred to me of the potential of using Rhino's rushed forwards as homers and mobile cover for deepstriked units.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Amplified View Post
    The first is how the deepstrike rule is used when deepstriking a unit based on the teleport homer of a IST vet in a rhino? Do I have to make a circle around the transport, or do I get to put them on any one side around the first man in?
    Wargear can only be used outside of a transport. So firstly, the vet sgt carrying the homer would have to have disembarked the previous turn. Once that condition is met, the homer can be used normally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amplified
    The follow up to this question is whether smoke deployed by a rhino would count as cover for a unit that deepstrikes next to the Rhino? I ask because the cover rules in the rule book list a 6+ cover save for bushes and tall grass, which while obscuring vision like smoke, would be equally useless against bullets as smoke. Of course this one isn't so important as a 6+ cover save is only ~17% shot anyway.
    Unfortunately, smoke launchers don't create any actual terrain on the board, however "logical" that might seem. All they do, effectively, is make the vehicle count as obscured, thus ensuring that no strikes against the vehicle count as anything worse than glancing. Beyond that, smoke launchers produce no other game effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amplified
    I ask about this because the idea occurred to me of the potential of using Rhino's rushed forwards as homers and mobile cover for deepstriked units.
    This is a common tactic, and it's still perfectly viable, despite the limitations I outlined above.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    Wargear can only be used outside of a transport. So firstly, the vet sgt carrying the homer would have to have disembarked the previous turn. Once that condition is met, the homer can be used normally.

Unfortunately, smoke launchers don't create any actual terrain on the board, however "logical" that might seem. All they do, effectively, is make the vehicle count as obscured, thus ensuring that no strikes against the vehicle count as anything worse than glancing. Beyond that, smoke launchers produce no other game effect.

This is a common tactic, and it's still perfectly viable, despite the limitations I outlined above.
    Thanks for the quick response. I've seen arguments on both sides as to whether homers can be used from within a transport, and I'm not sure who is right. However, why would this require waiting until the next turn anyway? Since a rhino can move the full 12" and disembark its passengers, wouldn't it be possible to deepstrike using the homer in the same turn as the Vet gets out of the Rhino?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

I've always played that you can use it from inside the Rhino (with respect to number6 of course!:happy.

It states that the model has to be on the table already the turn the deepstrikers come in on, but to me 'on the table' doesn't mean out of a transport.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer View Post
    I've always played that you can use it from inside the Rhino (with respect to number6 of course!:happy.

It states that the model has to be on the table already the turn the deepstrikers come in on, but to me 'on the table' doesn't mean out of a transport.
    Heh! Thanks, Diggums! 8Y

I used to play it exactly as you do, and for exactly the same reasons. Then somebody recently pointed out to me the 2nd to last question on the 4th and final page of the 40K Rulebook FAQ. Unlike so much of GW's rules, this pretty clearly states that models in a transport "are not physically on the table", and therefore "can do nothing". The ruling covers psychic powers, wargear, etc.

Sad, but true.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Heh! Thanks, Diggums! 8Y

I used to play it exactly as you do, and for exactly the same reasons. Then somebody recently pointed out to me the 2nd to last question on the 4th and final page of the 40K Rulebook FAQ. Unlike so much of GW's rules, this pretty clearly states that models in a transport "are not physically on the table", and therefore "can do nothing". The ruling covers psychic powers, wargear, etc.

Sad, but true.
    Thanks, I didn't even know there was a Rule Book FAQ!!!! Bummer, but it is pretty clear......
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I am not very mistaken u can set up deepstrikers within 6 inches of a TH. So you can move 12, disembark for 2 and have the deepstriking unit land 6 inches further ahead.

BUT...

Deepstrikers are rolled at the start of the turn... not after movement so they will come down next round (whenever ur new round starts)

Senior Member image vertification sux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh! Thanks, Diggums! 8Y

Sad, but true.
    so can i not fire my plasma gun out of a chimera top hatch with storm troopers inside?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by image vertification sux View Post
    so can i not fire my plasma gun out of a chimera top hatch with storm troopers inside?
    Because of the access point you can do that. However since the model is not on the table he can not be shot at, and your enemy will have to fire back at your vehicle (which unfortunately now counts as open topped.

Wait a second...you cant do that out of a chimera...it doesn't have an access point, you could do it out of a rhino. (chimeras do have the lasguns, but your plasma gun is a no go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Chimera has both lasguns and a single fire point. Last sentence in the fire point section of the chimera entry in the Imperial Guard Rulebook. (Heh, that's a mouthful)!

+ Reply to Thread