How To... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all! I am new to the hobby and was wondering how you use the rhino effectively with the new rules?

Since you wont be able to charge after you disembark (i think), what do you do?

I thought it would work if you drive within 14" then disembark 2" away, you would be in charge range next turn (does that sound right?). But then, wouldn't the enemy you want to charge counter charge you since you're within 12" now?

If anyone could explain to me how exactly to use the rhino, that would be great. And it doesn't have to be with the trial rules(although I would prefer it). YOu can have it about how you already use them... just so I can learn how .

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can drop ur guys out of the rhino, then have them walk and charge up to 12 inches. You can also have the rhino run 12 inches, drop its guys, and have them shoot i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

In normal rules you would move up tp 12, jump out then shoot then assault I think.

In TAR though all you can do is shoot I think :/ so you have use terrain alot more, over wise you jump out too early you'll be prone to assault and/or getting shot at lots.

So its not wise in TAR to just send your rhinos in and jump out. You can't rapid fire and you can't assault. So that squad is going to get it next turn. Unless of course thats what you wanted to do =^_~=

This is how I play sometimes, though I think Im correct =o.o=
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are correct that you will probably be within charge range of the enemy. You could try and stop outside their charge range and hope they will move withing your range on their turn, but won't be able to charge you. Its a risk, though. Also, even if you're within 12", if they don't want to get assaulted, they can shoot you and move away on theiur turn, preventing you from assaulting anyway.

Two tactics you need to consider:

First, don't think of you army as individual units, make plans that utilize multiple units. If you focus on one unit, then you fail to maximize your whole army's abilities. If you plan to assault, do it with more than one unit. Two or more assault units can box in the enemy, so no matter what they get assaulted. Also, your units should be positioned to support each other. If one unit gets assaulted by the enemy, you should have at least one more of your units that can come in to join the fight. Your first unit should be able to withstand at least one round of assault. If not you should think twice about sending them in to assault in the first place.

Second, use combined forces to draw enemy action away from units during times when they are most vulnerable. That means when you're disembarking your assault squads (using the trial rules) you should be staging a fast attack or harrassing assault of your own on another part of the enemy. Perhaps this is the turn your flankers engage. You should also concentrate heavy weapon support on any unit that threatens the assaulters, or is a high value target. These actions should draw the enemy away from your assaulting units who aren't doing much that turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I do is use the Rhino itself as moving cover, so I'll move the Rhino up 12", pop smoke and pull up sideways. Then diembark the marines behind it, and kitty corner if I turn it diagonal. Now right behind it I have my JumpPack Assault troops who will join the fight if the target squad(s) charge the tac marines once they are finished emptying their bolters and flamer into them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically, the rhino is a one turn bunker that helps you move an extra 6". It's like the GW gods got together and said, "How can we make people buy tau?" Hmmmm.... "What if we totally screw up assault type armies, so people will buy more shooty armies?".... "Right, so that means they'll buy the tau, even though they suck and are probably the worse modeled figures we've designed." Evil laughs all around. "And so, your blood angels have won their last match! The ugly tau models shall reign supreme!"
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I love the new tau models....

Alright, so I can use it as a shield, or just hope to get close enough and have them come to me so I can charge next turn.

But what if, for example, I am playing the tau, they most certainly don't want to jump into combat with my assault marines. What then? Run at them and hope I am faster? Oh, If I do use my assault marines, I am faster

Thanks for the help guys, but dont stop posting on what you do with your rhinos, I would like to find out more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Actually, you can Rhino Rush, but it's slightly different.

If you have a 24" distance between you and your opponent:
    Turn 1, move 12", pop smokes
    Turn 2, disembark 2", move 6", charge 6"
    A total move/charge of 26", not bad at all.

Or, if the enemy moves away from your Rhinos:
    Turn 1, move 12", pop smokes
    Turn 2, move 12", disembark behind the Rhino, blocking LoS
    Turn 3, move Rhino away or climb over/around wreckage 6", charge 6"
    A total move/charge of roughly 36", still good against Tau.

So, Rhino Rush away, just think before you rush.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If ur wondering why they're making rhino rush armies weaker, its because lately they have been owning the board. Warhammer 40k is meant to be a shooting game rather than a cc game, and the rhino rush armies are implying otherwise. Therefore, GW is making more rules to harm the rhino rushes. For my new darkangels army, however, i only need rhinos to pop out my melta-gun troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just my opinion, but since I'm a wargamer at heart I think they should have ADDED more rule instead of taking them away. The Rhino rush was used so extensively because that was the only/best effective option for assault armies. I played back in second edition, and the game was very shooty then. But you had more options to allow you to use shooting tactics effectively. 'Hide' and 'Overwatch' let you plan more tactics. I played Space Wolves and didn't have even one Rhino, and Rhinos were about $5 each. (maybe that's why they added Rhino rushing tactics, so you'd buy more Rhinos)

The way the rules are going now, you can almost just show up, show off your army, and each side rolls a die to see who wins. Tactics are almost non existant, it all comes down to the die roll.

I wish they would at least add an advanced rule set so you could see the effect of good generalship triumph over lucky dice.

As far as the Rhino rush tactic owning the board, aside from SW I also play Ultras and, Dark Eldar, and DA. If I saw a Rhino rush force deploy on the board, I just planned my setup and defense with that tactic in mind. It wasn't a problem. Rushing was just a different tactic to deal with. If it actually ends up gone in 4th ed, you'll see all the assault armies adopt another style, but they'll all be the same again. Everyone will use the same style of assault because that's all they're going to have left.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast