I could use a little help beating tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could use a little help beating tau

Well the good news is that i have a renewed faith in my guard army. This faith comes after an iron man tourney that was at my local gaming store last Saturday. My army came out on top with 4 wins and one loss. I played against deathwing, nids, guard, tau. I played the tau guy twice i beat him the first time by 20 victory points and the last game i played was against him and i lost.

There are two tau players at the store. One does mech tau with usually 5 crisis suites, a rail head, path finders, a couple broadsides, and a six man stealth suite team. The other guy usually run 2 fire warrior squads, a couple broadsides, and farsight with full body guard with lots of shield drones.

We play usually at the 1500-2000 mark

At that level i usually run 2 basilisks, a heavy platoon, 2 platoons of 2 squads with regular troppers, my command squad usually consists of the squad 2 commissars and 2 teams of 3 heavy bolters and 2 teams of three lasscannons,and the the whole army has camoline and the heavy weapons have sherpshooters i will write out a better list if needed. Just ask

So what can i do to beat the tau better. Thank You for any help.

The most dangerous men in the world are the ones who have nothing to lose.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

ok you need to be clear, there are a number of varriants of Tau armies, the first one you mentioned (mech Tau) although he does need troops, I assume there was atleast 2 fire warrior and fish in there, but then are they aimed at FOF or as warfish?
    the other 2 most common is static gun line or hybrid, the fourth and rarer is farsight enclaive with its hoards of suits, what do you want help with'?
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mobility is the Tau's greatest weapon and generally the IG's weakness, especially when they are mechanized like one of the players you went up against. Your list lacks anything in fast attack, deep strikeable or close combat oriented (worthwhile against those with a ws of 2).

I tried deep striking a squad or two of stormtroopers against Tau, and although its kinda hit or miss, when it works the bluies tend to always kick their butts kicked by in cc. For the mech guy 5 man squads with meltas and maybe a plasma pistol for the vet sgt for a shot in the rear armor; for the regular player 10 man squads with plasma guns for dropping the broadsides or commander before charging the fire warriors. Its risky but fun and rewarding if you can pull it off since the ST can generally be expected to win in CC vs Tau.

Since you haven't really elaborated past your initial explanation I can't really give much more advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperialis_Dominatus View Post
    Clear rules, from GW? Never.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok first of all i am sorry for posting this in the wrong section i forgot i was in the army list section when i hit new topic sorry.

ok to be more clear The first tau guy i play usually uses something like this

Crisis commander with 2 body guard usually with 4 shield drones and the commander has the ion blaster and missile. The body guards have plasma and missile.

then he takes a 3 man crisis team armed in different way i cant remember usualy with a couple shield drones.

an then theres the large 6-8 usual o stealth suites which infiltrate the also have 2 fusion

2 full squads of fire warriors in fish for fish of furry

rail head

2 broad sides usually with shield gen and shield drones.

the second list is

farsight with 7 man body guard all with 2 shield drones.

sometimes there is a stealth team

then 2 full fire warrior squads with fish for fish of furry

he also brings 1-2 broadsides with shield drones/generator

my biggest problem with the first list is the stealth suites and the crisis suites as they keep jumping behind cover which is usually only a problem in small games as my basilisks do the job usually when they are hidden

The problem with the second list is the mass unit of Crisis suites. they get really anoying and they usually do well in assault.

I will finish this post later with details of my army i have to get back to school work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

suspect the second set of suits in the first list are deathrain (TL missiles)

yeah ok so you lack mobiliy to deal with JSJ, try loading up on indirect fire, you already mentioned bassie, how about mortars?

to protect your tanks shiled them with your infantry, those stealth suits with fusion guns have a very limited range

your problem quite consistently appears to be suits, infantry heavy armies means his suits wont achieve much

indirect fire is the basic response, bassies, and mortars, other usefull plans include deep striking (drop trops doctrine or grenediers), mobile stuff (chimera or hell hounds, sentinel, rough riders)

Choosing your deployment and table edge well will also help, a lot of his guns are not very long range, to JSJ he needss to have cover the right distance from you

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

To Mr.Grim: I think we can give some great advice if you could just post a copy of a list, to as much detail as possible.

From the given info that you provided, I think that your list is a little heavy on heavy weapons and a little short on basic infantry. Main problem, is with such a small amount of infantry, crisis suits, FWs and devilfishes will have little trouble reaching with HW teams when being equiped with burst cannons, or even seekers.

In my personal opinion, you have no need for all those Heavy bolter HW teams. You would get the same result, even better one in this case, if you drop all 3 of them and take 3 additional infantry squads with plasma guns and HBs. Idealy, I would consider having one platoon with 4 squads, all with plasma and HBs including the JO. The other platoon could include a JO, with 2 infantry squads with plasma guns and lascannons. This way you have a very good anti infantry firebase, and some way of harassing his suit and devilfish movement as those lascannons and plasma guns can make very short work of them.

Regarding basilisks, they are great ... but in my opinion, not here. A basilisk excels when it can be carefully staged behind somewhere against an army that has not particular units that can realy harm it. Armies like necrons, Orks, other IG and some space marines. Mech tau and a different case, as they lack cramped formations thus reducing the effectiveness of ordnance. As well as just plain fact that whats the chance that a single cannons will kill a fast skimmer? 1/6 chance on a glance table, thats if it even hits and doesnt scatter. Not exactly the kind of odds that I would like. Instead, I would use the points for either some lascannon/autocannon sentinels or a demolisher and use it as a hardcore fire absorber. Draw his suits and broadsides out from cover, and blast them when they are taking their chance vs the Av14.

To Cheredanine: That last thing you said, it could work but only to a limited extent. The mortars are amazing weapons, greatly underestimated, but great nevertheless if one knows how to work the list around them.

Here however, I dont think mortars would truly express themselves to the highest potential for reasons being:
    1. Mech tau usualy focus on suits that have good saves, and devilfishes that never realy reveal the firewarriors for a long period of time. So to some extent it will be difficult dealing with such a list since those mortars will be almost useless against the transports which should idealy be the number one target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Things tau do not like.
    • Indirect fire - can hit JSJing suits
    • Autocannons - slice up his fish
    • Lack of juicy targets - A tau play with no clear, juicy, crummy targets like tanks and expensive squads will get very frustrated very quickly.
    • Manouverable stuff - light infantry helps alot, consider getting the veterans doctrine so you can get 3 veterans squads? (You just use them like regular infantry squads but they get more guns and have better accuracy)
    • Things that can shoot thier fish before they move - Remember that skimmers only become overpowered once they have moved more then 6". If you can infiltrate to get a side shot with a veteran unit armed with 3 plasmas and a missile or autocannon on a hammerhead before it moves, go for it.
    • Lack of terrain - Try to keep terrain to a minimum. Forest and Jungle are to be avoided (dam kroot!).
    • Lack of Tanks - Tau eat tanks for breakfast (Deathrains, Railheads, Fusion [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Piranhas [/FONT]and Helios commanders...).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    To Cheredanine: That last thing you said, it could work but only to a limited extent. The mortars are amazing weapons, greatly underestimated, but great nevertheless if one knows how to work the list around them.
    ?
    not sure which bit you are refering to mate, last thing I said was about deployment and use of cover, if you are talking about that, yes I agree, it is more about making sure he isnt giving his opponent presents with his deployment than winnging the game entirely, however - if you are talking about the mortars:
    Here however, I dont think mortars would truly express themselves to the highest potential for reasons being:
    1. Mech tau usualy focus on suits that have good saves, and devilfishes that never realy reveal the firewarriors for a long period of time. So to some extent it will be difficult dealing with such a list since those mortars will be almost useless against the transports which should idealy be the number one target.
    ultimatley his problem appears to be the suits, that is the common theme,, and JSJ, mortars, whilst not ignoring the armour save, gives you the ability to hit the suits when they are out of LOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted something like this not too long ago and I have discovered the best way (usually) to beat tau.

Basilisks are great! Have at least 2, one each corner, mortars are useful too, just don't load up on them too much, a few here and there should get the gist across. Veterans are one of the useful things against Tau, infiltrating squad's with 3 plasmaguns and autocannon/missile launcher work a treat against Tanks. Furthermore, the best way to beat mobility is with even better mobility, this means dropping 5 man VET squads with 3 meltas onto his tanks, he can't STOP IT!

Finally just as kroxigor01 said, no juicy targets, take to basic infantry and lot's of 'em, bassies, mortars and VET's and you'll be laughing!

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the plasma guns are a good idea but i wont take them. My issue with plasma guns is that the only hit half the time and there is a good chance of blowing your self up. In veteran squads i could see them working but there is still a good chance that they are going to kill them selves.

about getting more detailed lists sorry but what i have already posted is all that i can remember and i wont see the armys again till Saturday.

At Taipan: i like the idea of the 5 man vet team with with 3 meltas the only problem with it is the tank will have moved making all hits glancing and if i don't destroy it then the squad is dead and becomes a waste of points

thank you all for the help

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast